The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vintech 1272 vs GREAT RIVER MP-2NV vs MANLEY All Tube 60db Dual Mono
Old 29th October 2002
Gear Head

Im looking to get two good channels of Big Colored Pre's. What do you the best is out of the three mentioned above? Tell me what you think, thanx alot. Lates

jc
Old 29th October 2002
Sorry, but IMO there is not necessarily a "best" in this situation, but factors other than quality (features) may make is better for you personally. If a preamp is low noise at high gain levels, has enough usable gain for most situations, has high input headroom, and is not harsh throughout it's frequency range, I would say that's a pro piece (I might be forgetting something, but that about sums it up for me). All three of these preamps are different from each other, all three are colored, and all three are worth owning. What type of instruments or vocals do you hope to use it on? Do you want it silky & airy or more solid sounding with the emphasis on the mids and lows? Do you need high levels of gain for quiet sources or ribbon mics (the Great River is 70db, the new Manley's are 60db, and the Vintech is 50db)? What about impedance switching? Let us know, that will narrow it down a little.
Old 29th October 2002
Gear Addict

If I only get one crayon tho, I love the NV.

Haven't heard the Vintech, and I'm not crazy about the Manley. Always seems to be something better...

+/-3db
Old 30th October 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
I love the NV.
I'll agree with that assessment...
Old 30th October 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred

I'll agree with that assessment...
Me too.

A friend and I swapped Great Rivers this weekend (I have a MP2H and he has an NV). Since then I've used it on vox, guitar (electric and acoustic), all over the drumkit, banjo, accordian, bass (DI and mic), with ribbons, condensors, dynamic, blah blah blah. I'll be damned if it hasn't kicked total ass on everything!! Incredible.

The load and impedance are handy and there are many combinations of tones. It is now at the top of my list of pres, and I have some pretty decent competition in my rack.

As I left my friends studio, we both said "I bet I'm really going to want my own pre back - but I probably won't want to give yours up either" and that is soooo true. I think with a pair of each of these (GR) pres you could have pretty much any recording situation covered. Kinda makes me not want to even deal with vintage stuff...
Old 30th October 2002
There is only one

of those 3 i would pick the great river... but i dont know what ELSE you have.

i prefer versatility however. something like the crane song flamingo fits that bill or the GT Vipre.
Old 30th October 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast

I'll be damned if it hasn't kicked total ass on everything!! Incredible.
I keep trying to tell people this but I don't think they believe me so it is nice to see some one else pick up the banner and wave it.

The NV is one of those pieces that you will keep in your rack for a long time. I see so many trendy mic pres now days and that is not to say that they are not well built or don't sound great. But the GR NV is my desert island pick and from there every thing else is the in the "would be nice to have" category.

With the new MP-1NV this puts a single channel GR with in a lot closer reach for a lot of smaller and home studios.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the DI. This is a feature most people don't think about. But once you use it you will fall in love with it.

Lee
Old 30th October 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the DI. This is a feature most people don't think about. But once you use it you will fall in love with it.

Lee
Absolutely. I had other favorite pres for DI before but the NV blew them out of the water. I especially noticed the differences with the load and impedance buttons when I was DI-ing synths and bass.

Why buy a pricy standalone DI when you could get one channel of the NV and get a nice pre in the bargain?

I must be trying to convince myself to buy one when my friend makes me give his back... gear slut that I am!
Old 30th October 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
of those 3 i would pick the great river... but i dont know what ELSE you have.

i prefer versatility however. something like the crane song flamingo fits that bill or the GT Vipre.
What Alpha said... except I don't think I would use the word "prefer"... but maybe 'covet' if I only had one of the units to pick from... you kinda scratch the surface of the 'versatility' thing with the MP-2NV... but the Flamingo and the VIPRE are the kings of sonic options...

Then again... I obviously don't think the MP-2NV sucks by any stretch of the imagination... and I'm glad to hear you've obtained some pleasing results.
Old 30th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Ditto the Great River, Flamingo and Vipre over the Vintech and Manley, in general and imho.

I also like the 1073, Martech MSS, API, GML and Millenia STT pres, fwiw, ymmv, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search