The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ocean Way HR4/5 or Pro2A USERS?
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Ocean Way HR4/5 or Pro2A USERS?

Hi
love to hear from people using these monitors.
The few posts I have read seem to be very positive but
not that much talk around here.

Is the HR5 just a smaller version of the HR4?
Has anyone compared the Pro2a to the HR4/5?
dave
Old 9th February 2020
Here for the gear

I've been using the HR4S for about two weeks, and like them a lot. There's a sense of effortless power, accuracy and clarity.

I'm using them with a Trinnov optimizer and although I prefer them with the Trinnov engaged, there's a much smaller difference with the Trinnov in or out than with my previous monitors.

Possibly this indicates that the Ocean Ways are inherently better balanced? The wide sweet spot also seems as advertised.

I'm working in film and tv scoring and wanted to get that big, cinematic feel for when clients come over, so that things sounded more like on a mixing stage.

The HR4S does this very well. It has that big, main monitor, feel, but works in a smallish room, about 12x22 feet.

It's a bit too early to say if mixes will translate, but I'm optimistic, and also feel that if any anomalies emerge, they will be small enough that I'll be able to learn them and adjust.

Without the sub, the low end is still very good, and I'd feel confident mixing without it. The sub just give an extra, visceral, experience that is fun, and I think may help with presentation to clients. But it's not cheap or mandatory. To be clear although the HR4S are a pretty big chunk of money, I actually think that they are good value.

All of the controls for the crossover, levels, digital/analog options etc seem well thought out, and comprehensive.

I had a technical problem, with random hum, called Ocean Way and immediately spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about, and suggested some troubleshooting. So they seem solid on that front. Turned out I had a problem at my end with a faulty cable that had somehow worked fine for two years.

I'm still baffled by the low public profile about these, and lack of reviews etc. I heard them at NAMM a couple of times and the whole Ocean Way line sounded remarkably good, and much better than anything else I heard there, in pretty unflattering conditions.

It has only been two weeks though, so take my comments with as much salt as you like. If there's a change of opinion, I'll try to post about it.

But in general, I'm very happy, and impressed with them and would recommend that anyone looking for monitors in this size, price range, audition them.

Good luck.
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Thanks for the reply!
Did you shoot out the HR4 to the new HR5 or the Pro2A?
Did you shoot out any other high end monitor to help you make
your decision?
Thanks
Dave
Old 9th February 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Dave

I didn't really do a shoot out. I auditioned the ATC SCM 25A, Neumann 300, PMC and a few others that I've now forgotten a couple of years ago.

I'm a big fan of ATC in general, and tried the 45A, in my studio, and they really didn't work in my room. There was little low end and they sounded kind of thwocky. I know they make great monitors and was surprised, and disappointed. Maybe something was broken or misadjusted, but I did try various settings, and don't recall there being many things to adjust.

Don't want to dis them as ATCs I've used in the past have been great, but somehow didn't work for me.

I also tried the Focal Trio 6, which sounded good in my room.

Ultimately I bought the Focal and the Harbeth SLH5+, as they both seemed to reveal different things.

The Harbeths are a real joy to work on, very detailed and non fatiguing. I'm surprised more people don't use them in studios.

But I think having two sets of monitors was a mistake, for me. I really just want to have one set that I have learned, and can trust.

The Focals were fine, but the auto shut off drove me up the wall, and I stopped using them as it was so annoying. Sounds like a small issue but when you have to blast the monitors to get them to come back on 12 times a day, it becomes an unpleasant distraction.

Recently I went with the OW partly for their ability to give a large presentation for clients. They also may be the most neutral, but are still somehow exciting and pleasant to work on. I'd used the huge OW monitors at the then Ocean Way studio in Hollywood, many years ago, and was also impressed by their effortless power and, what seemed to me, good balance and accuracy.

All 3 sets of the monitors I tried in my studio seem very good, and I'd be happy to mix on any of them.

I heard the smaller, Pro 2A at NAMM and was also impressed by them. Haven't heard the HR5.

If at all possible try as many monitors as you can in your room, definitely including the ATC and Neumann. I think listening somewhere else only tells you 10% of the story.

I did buy the HR4s with the understanding that if I didn't like them, I could return them. So it was a low risk proposition.

Best of Luck
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Thanks mbesq
Love to hear from any other Ocean Way users
Ideally someone who has done a shoot out of the line (HR4,HR5, Pro2A)
thanks
Dave
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

Hey there,

I did a review of the Pro2a for TapeOp a while back and liked them a lot. I'm supposed to get my hands on the HR5's soon and look forward to seeing how they compare. I'll post when I receive the speakers.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Nut

I am looking forward to your review of the HR5 Kirt! The obvious question becomes why would Ocean Way Audio be offering a pair of HR5’s for about a thousand dollars less than a pair of 2A Pro’s if indeed the HR5’s are superior in all respects?
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

That is exactly my question as well...We shall see......

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Great looking forward to your review!!

How would you compare the Pro2a to some of the other major monitors out there? I did read your review of the Pro2a
thanks
Dave
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Any HR5 users out there??
I have seen some HR4 users post here.
Old 23rd February 2020
Here for the gear

Wondering the same. They have been on my radar for some time. So, bump.
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac
thanks for the bump
I would love to hear from anyone who has compared the HR5 to the Pro2A

hope to hear a new review from TapeOP on the HR5 soon?
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

I still haven't heard when I'm going to see a review pair of HR5's for TapeOp. I'll send a note to the guy who manages all of the reviews and see if I can get a timeline on that.

So my main monitors are Barefoot MM27s.....and they sounded somewhat similar....they were very punchy and detailed. The transition from mid to high was different....not better or worse, just different. The Pro2a's maybe had SLIGHTLY less on the very top end, but it was subtle and totally workable.

When doing the review, I was thinking that if I didn't have the Barefoots, I could deal with the Pro2a's. That being said, the Barefoots are better....wider response in frequency and dynamic range, but the Pro2a's hung in there.

At least that's my impression....

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Addict

Kirt,

I assume you’re speaking of the Pro2A vs MM27? I’m pretty sure, but just clarifying.

By the way, I still want to check out the new setup at Sac City and get you over to see the new studio! Let’s set that up!

Weston
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Hi kirt
Does the pro2a have the same amount of bass extension as the Barefoots?
Old 27th February 2020
Been using a pair of the Ocean Way HR4S (HR4s + S12A subs) regularly for a couple years now.
I have not compared them to the other models you mention, but find them to be excellent. Big, wide soundstage with lots of detail, and excellent mix translation to/from other monitors. My other monitors are Adam A7xs and Digi RM2s.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac
thanks for the reply!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Any HR5 users out there??
I have seen some HR4 users post here.

I have a pair of HR5's. They are really nice with a nice sweet spot. I am waiting for the new sub they are releasing. I think the sub is a 10 instead of a 12 which they currently offer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search