The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Console upgrade — SSL Origin, RND 5088, AMS Neve Genesys, Audient ASP 8024?
Old 21st May 2020
Hi OP,
Was wondering how your search is coming along in these times?

Ocean Sound Recording in Norway had a large RND Shelford installed, I think in 2018/2019. You could give them a call to check it out. I figure it was one of the almost €200k units, but at least you can get an idea/feel for it.
As soon as borders open up again, I’m off to Brugge in Belgium to check out the Origin, it’s set up in a pro room by the importer for Benelux, nice people (Joystick Audio). And will also try to pop in to see the Ark at Interphase Audio.

There are a couple of SSLl 40** series desks up for sale on Reverb at the moment. Two in France, and there was one up for grabs If I remember correctly in Talinn, but that seems to have been delisted. SX pro audio in uk has a Genesys black G16 with the 1084 option up for sale, at €35k...
Yes, i’m also searching for options ?.

Keep well!
Cheers
K
Old 21st May 2020
I forgot, the Audient HE may not have input transformers, but the iron master bus transformer is a nice addition, gives the mix a good beef.
Seeing as you are mainly mixing this may be interesting
Old 25th May 2020
Results

Hi guys,

Just wanted to thank you all for your support and ideas. I really appreciate and value your input a lot.

In the end, despite my own expectations and bias, I've decided to pull a trigger on the Studer 904 console from Austria TV/film station: https://reverb.com/uk/item/28167347-...6-master-8-aux — she doesn't look like a prom queen, but I've found a great local engineer and he suggested we restore it to it's former glory. With some 20K I've decided to invest into the studio and outboard. Studers are famously reliable, built mostly with off the shelf parts and have a great reputation on this side of the pond. Based on my research, inputs are tranny based, with transformer balanced inserts in and out (apart from direct outs). It supposed to be more transparent sound-wise, but we'll see. With some minor modifications this is a match made in heaven. Should be a great mixing desk. Extensive, flexible monitoring section might be fine for mastering as well (routing is relay based). So we'll see if it was a good decision after all.

It should be here in a few weeks.

Again, can't thank you enough for your words of advice. I value your opinion and took a lot into consideration while making this decision.

Thanks,
Nikita
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Nut

Nils Frahm used a broadcast Studer for a while in his studio. Most of his records from 2016-2018 were mixed on this desk. Not sure what he uses now.
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

Audient ASP

Not sure if this post is too late, but Warren Huart from produce like a Pro bought an Audient asp8024 for one of the studios he works at, and loves it. In your position, it's worth considering regarding a serious listen. Not sure what size you are looking for, it seems you were wanting to begin with 16 tracks? The ASP4816 is bang for buck, in line, and has, as you mentioned a route-tastic design to it. Or, for a bit more you want to spend more, go for the 8024. EQ's are not bad on it, it's not a character console is all I can say. I would consider the console with some outboard gear for some flavouring options but leanr the console, it has some nice sweet spots. Pro's and cons to all consoles but for general quality and felxibility and bang for buck by miles, you can't go wrong with Audient. Sure, the other consoles mentioned are great but...you can stretch to more if you think creatively and get more flavours for your money. In any case, whatever you do, have FUN and happy mixing my friend.
📝 Reply