The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal SM9 vs Trio6 vs Trio11
Old 25th January 2020
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Focal SM9 vs Trio6 vs Trio11

It feels like I could upgrade my Twin6's to something bigger.

After searching around, there's not many alternatives i found in the price range that seem inviting... So i've decided to stay on Focals.

I'm currently leaning towards SM9.

Here's my train of thought:
- Trio6 Be were positioned lower in the market than the SM9.
- Trio11 are essentially Trio6 with a larger woofer and low end extension. (mid/tweeter section is the same)

I don't care for the larger woofer, because I have a subwoofer that takes care of the extreme lows (JL Audio F112), and at the bottom willl most likely take better care of them than the ported or PR design of Trios/SM9s.

So to me, it boils down mostly to midrange accuracy and soundstage.

Here's why I think like SM9 might be better:
- sealed design of the midrange/tweeter section, as opposed to ported of Trio6/11 (i feel better without ports)
- has a builtin hipass i can use to off-load work from the 8"/PR section

Here's why i think Trio6/11 might be better:
- more power on the midrange driver (50W more), that is also small and fast 5".
- footswitchable focus mode
- vertical position (I have twins setup vertically and i prefer them that way, don't think SM9 will work vertically.)

Here's why i think Trio11 might be better:
- they're huge. I merely love the fact that they're huge and look menacing.


I found a place that has both Trio6 and SM9 - but wont be able to get the into my room. Since I don't care as much about the low end, can i just compare focus mode to get the jist of how midrange behaves on both?
I'm really interested in midrange the most - with Twin6 + woofer i feel like i have plenty of low-end already, but midrange on twins feels a bit undefined.

I seriously think my money is wasted on the Trio11 since i'd rather get another woofer or better separate woofers than trying to have the low end handled solely by the stereo pair.
Old 28th April 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
Shame there weren't any replies. I am leaning towards SM9s too.
Old 28th April 2020
  #3
They are both great monitors, I prefer the Trios over the SM9 and the low end on the SM9 was drier. I also like the buttons better on the Trios for switching to the two ways.
Old 28th April 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 

The sm9 isn’t sealed, it has a passive resonator, which, to my understanding, causes a sharper rolloff and more ringing than a port.

Personally,
I prefer a well integrated speaker over an additional sub.

If it was a choice for me between the focals I would go with the biggest trio I could afford.

If it was my choice between any speaker I would probably go atc scm25/45 (depending on budget).

I would personally rather mix on a pair of atc scm20 than any of the focals you’ve mentioned. I was on twins for a very very long time and atc makes a lot more speaker for the money in my experience. They are certainly capable of putting out more volume.

Others to check out in that rough range would be barefoot, amphion genelec.
Old 29th April 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
Thanks for contributing and reviving this thread. It is much appreciated. The SCM20 is certainly within my budget and available in New Zealand ($1,000 NZ more expensive than the SM9s I have been offered). I have heard the SM9s (but not the Trios or SCM20s) and I was very impressed with the sound of them. It was the best sound I have heard in a studio (aside from speakers built by my friend who used to make boutique speakers on the West Coast in the USA 20 years ago and will be getting back into building speakers again soon). The Trios are outside my budget for the meantime. I possibly might be able to try out the SCM20s if the store allows me. Another speaker that costs the same as the SCM20s is the PCM two two 6 active. I currently have Genelec 1030As which I have been using since 1995. I find I have to mix the low end with headphones. I want speakers that sound fantastic, give you an indication of whether there is sufficient bass in the mix, that you can hear sources positioned in the stereo field, and translate well to other systems generally.

Last edited by waldie wave; 29th April 2020 at 07:08 AM..
Old 29th April 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
since mid and high power the same in the 2 trios...to me as a dealer there is no need to get the 11 unless you like the size..as you have the sub which is much better.
we are also a JL dealer and pair them often with Focal & ATC as we did for Timbaland.
how are you integrating the sub ? if you have the budget add a Xilica and a second sub
Old 29th April 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
I currently have Genelec 1030As which I have been using since 1995. I find I have to mix the low end with headphones. I want speakers that sound fantastic.
.
as a 25 year Genelec user (kudos for consistancy) arent there dealers or distributors who can demo the new 'Ones' to you ? Dont know how you say 'holy s**t' but the coax design and tuning combine to give a 3D image so clear you can draw a sharpie around the instruments. you must spend a day or 2 with any of the Focals to see how you like their Be tweeter...to my ears a bit edgier than the gennies.
Dont know how trouble free yours have been...but im sure reliability & service always a priority on purchasing decisions in NZ. Make sure parts & service quickly accessable.
Old 29th April 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
My Genelec's had one issue (one speaker didn't power on), which got repaired by Protel in Auckland about 15 years ago. I have had no problems with them since.

Basically the main choices here are Dynaudio, Focal, Genelec, Hedd, Neumann and SCM. I'll contact dealers to see if I can try them out. A great point you raised about parts and servicing. Extremely important point. Thanks for that.
Old 29th April 2020
  #9
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
since mid and high power the same in the 2 trios...to me as a dealer there is no need to get the 11 unless you like the size..as you have the sub which is much better.
we are also a JL dealer and pair them often with Focal & ATC as we did for Timbaland.
how are you integrating the sub ? if you have the budget add a Xilica and a second sub
currently fully open and time compensated.
No budget for a second sub yet, but it's planned in the distant future.

It's hard to get hands on JL Audio woofers here, but this F112 is REALLY good and i'm wary of getting a different sub just so i could pair them.


Anyway, due to lockdown, i wasn't able to conduct the test, but as far as it seems I'll be able to get Trio 6, SM9, BareFoot MM27 and Dynaudio Core59 in my room.

I've heard panned opinions about midrange on Trio VS SM9. Some say Trio is better, some say SM9 is better. I just need to try them. There's one thing, SM9 are proven at this point. Trios, not so much.

Also, the Midrange on Trio is PORTED, while on SM9 the midrange is SEALED. running focus mode with the woofer means i have a "separate sealed system".

Since i can run SM9s crossovered with the sub which is sealed, I could cut them off at 60Hz and alleviate all rolloff point issues anyway.


The ATC SCM20 are two way I'm not really interested in, and the SCM25 are far more expensive than either of the ones i'm considering, for 2-3K more i'd rather add another sub to the system. Maybe it's the visual similarity to the KH310 that throws me off? I really don't like the KH310s...

I've only heard ATC SCM50 (i think? 3 way and huge), and tho they're great and all, they're not my flavour of speaker - or at least they weren't at the time. Maybe i need to give them another spin.

I have to note tho, i'm more of new designs.
Someone i know has the Dutch&Dutch, might as well check those, but they're way over my budget.
Old 29th April 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 

I suspect we have a different taste in speakers. I found the sm9 to be my least favourite sounding focal. Something about the bottom end seemed untrustworthy, it sounded slow or resonant to me, something like a more high definition mackie hr824.
I would rather mix on the twins. (I would rather passively listen to the sm9 though!)

I also find the ATC scm50 to be as close to a perfect speaker as I have ever heard.



Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
currently fully open and time compensated.
No budget for a second sub yet, but it's planned in the distant future.

It's hard to get hands on JL Audio woofers here, but this F112 is REALLY good and i'm wary of getting a different sub just so i could pair them.


Anyway, due to lockdown, i wasn't able to conduct the test, but as far as it seems I'll be able to get Trio 6, SM9, BareFoot MM27 and Dynaudio Core59 in my room.

I've heard panned opinions about midrange on Trio VS SM9. Some say Trio is better, some say SM9 is better. I just need to try them. There's one thing, SM9 are proven at this point. Trios, not so much.

Also, the Midrange on Trio is PORTED, while on SM9 the midrange is SEALED. running focus mode with the woofer means i have a "separate sealed system".

Since i can run SM9s crossovered with the sub which is sealed, I could cut them off at 60Hz and alleviate all rolloff point issues anyway.


The ATC SCM20 are two way I'm not really interested in, and the SCM25 are far more expensive than either of the ones i'm considering, for 2-3K more i'd rather add another sub to the system. Maybe it's the visual similarity to the KH310 that throws me off? I really don't like the KH310s...

I've only heard ATC SCM50 (i think? 3 way and huge), and tho they're great and all, they're not my flavour of speaker - or at least they weren't at the time. Maybe i need to give them another spin.

I have to note tho, i'm more of new designs.
Someone i know has the Dutch&Dutch, might as well check those, but they're way over my budget.
Old 29th April 2020
  #11
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
I suspect we have a different taste in speakers. I found the sm9 to be my least favourite sounding focal. Something about the bottom end seemed untrustworthy, it sounded slow or resonant to me, something like a more high definition mackie hr824.
I would rather mix on the twins. (I would rather passively listen to the sm9 though!)

I also find the ATC scm50 to be as close to a perfect speaker as I have ever heard.
Possibly! I should give ATC's another try, but they're really over my budget.
If you'd compare them to more available speakers, do they sound more like:
- Genelec or Adam (or Hedd for that matter, i've heard those too)
- Neumann or Focal

i don't particularly like Adams. Hedds i like better. Genelecs, especially the traditional designs also not so much. Neumanns also seem too stiff.

Last time I had them side by side, they seemed similar to twins, with a better low-end extension and seemingly more focused midrange

Low-end is a bitch tho.
KH310 i.e. which is sealed, imo sounds compressed, especially in the lows. Like there's a high-ratio compressor on them.

Focal's (ported) sound dynamic, but are less focused in the lows.
As i said, i could alleviate SM9s low end response with my woofer if necessary.
Old 3rd May 2020
  #12
Gear Addict
 

After some more research i’ve started leaning highly towards the Trio11.
Reasoning: refined midrange vs trio6, supposedly more clinical mids vs sm9, sheer size.

Need to lay the carpets first tho.

Last edited by plx; 3rd May 2020 at 02:36 AM..
Old 3rd May 2020
  #13
Lives for gear
The dealer here in NZ that I usually deal with has recommended Genelec 8340A monitors as an upgrade to my 1030As but has given a caveat that he cannot be said to be unbiased because he sells Genelecs. He said he can also get Neumann KH310 monitors if required.The ATC SM20s are within the budget but I am concerned about the low end. In my studio, I do not work next to a wall (which has been a recommended for placement of ATC SM20s). My computer and position where I sit and mix is about 6 feet out from the wall. Close to the wall are my racks (which get used all the time) and Euphonix CS2 mixing desk (which has not been used for a long time). It is an odd shaped room and quite a congested space with all the gear and instruments in the room. Being on GS all these years has resulted in a hoarding of gear issue. I guess I could place the monitors on top of the console. The Amphion One 18s are also within my budget and seem very appealing. The SM9 has not been discounted as an option. I tried calling a dealer in New Zealand who sells Amphion and ATC monitors but they did not answer on Friday to see if I could trial them.
Old 3rd May 2020
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
The dealer here in NZ that I usually deal with has recommended Genelec 8340A monitors as an upgrade to my 1030As but has given a caveat that he cannot be said to be unbiased because he sells Genelecs. He said he can also get Neumann KH310 monitors if required.The ATC SM20s are within the budget but I am concerned about the low end. In my studio, I do not work next to a wall (which has been a recommended for placement of ATC SM20s). My computer and position where I sit and mix is about 6 feet out from the wall. Close to the wall are my racks (which get used all the time) and Euphonix CS2 mixing desk (which has not been used for a long time). It is an odd shaped room and quite a congested space with all the gear and instruments in the room. Being on GS all these years has resulted in a hoarding of gear issue. I guess I could place the monitors on top of the console. The Amphion One 18s are also within my budget and seem very appealing. The SM9 has not been discounted as an option. I tried calling a dealer in New Zealand who sells Amphion and ATC monitors but they did not answer on Friday to see if I could trial them.
I've been reading a lot into Trio11 recently, and deducted they might be a better choice over SM9.
Some people who replaced their SM9s with Trio11 said the latter are more clinical and have a more revealing midrange, but are ultimately less pleasant to listen to than SM9 (but are still distinctly soft Focal sounding nonetheless). They did improve on the midrange over Trios as well (the driver is the same but surround is different because it has the mass damper so response is different), and the box's frequency response is pretty conservative given their size.

edit: i should note i heard SM9's next to my twins already. At the time, I preferred both to 1032A(1031A?) which were also there. SM9s had a better low end than twins, but i clearly remember the difference in midrange wasn't really pronounced - in some context i actually thought twin's have a better midrange reveal (but worse front-to-back imaging). Twins are **** at front to back imo.

However, back to Genelecs: I personally did some work on I believe 1032A's (might have been 1031..). I wasn't particularly fond of them, but they weren't a bad speaker.
I also worked with I think 8040B (or is it 8050B? been a while since i've been there) and i liked them both more than 1031 (or 1032?).

However, i don't think 8340 are on the level of neither ATC SCM20 (based on the 150 i heard) nor SM9s.

KH310 to my ears are very unpleasant. They sound annoying and dynamically flat to me. They do have stellar midrange - if they're issues in the midrange they're probably going to be revealed on the KH310. But i just can't work with them for more than an hour before becoming agitated, not my type of speaker.
I may like sealed design in theory - but in practice i guess i don't. (although my sub is sealed and it's the best sub i've heard so far)
Old 3rd May 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
if the gennie distributor has the 'ones' you should hear them in your room. Easily the most 3D of any monitor ihave heard
Old 3rd May 2020
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
if the gennie distributor has the 'ones' you should hear them in your room. Easily the most 3D of any monitor ihave heard
He recommended the 8340A with the GLM.

Last edited by waldie wave; 4th May 2020 at 06:52 AM..
Old 3rd May 2020
  #17
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
since mid and high power the same in the 2 trios...to me as a dealer there is no need to get the 11 unless you like the size..as you have the sub which is much better.
we are also a JL dealer and pair them often with Focal & ATC as we did for Timbaland.
how are you integrating the sub ? if you have the budget add a Xilica and a second sub
I dug a litte deeper.
Crossovers on trio11: 280/2400
Crossovers on trio6: 250/2500
Mid driver is similar but different - different, lighter surround and mass dampers absent on the 6’s.

Focal really didn’t bother pointing out overall refinement of trio11, only SPL and lowend.

Thanks for the Xilica tip
Old 4th May 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
I've been reading a lot into Trio11 recently, and deducted they might be a better choice over SM9.
Some people who replaced their SM9s with Trio11 said the latter are more clinical and have a more revealing midrange, but are ultimately less pleasant to listen to than SM9 (but are still distinctly soft Focal sounding nonetheless). They did improve on the midrange over Trios as well (the driver is the same but surround is different because it has the mass damper so response is different), and the box's frequency response is pretty conservative given their size.

edit: i should note i heard SM9's next to my twins already. At the time, I preferred both to 1032A(1031A?) which were also there. SM9s had a better low end than twins, but i clearly remember the difference in midrange wasn't really pronounced - in some context i actually thought twin's have a better midrange reveal (but worse front-to-back imaging). Twins are **** at front to back imo.

However, back to Genelecs: I personally did some work on I believe 1032A's (might have been 1031..). I wasn't particularly fond of them, but they weren't a bad speaker.
I also worked with I think 8040B (or is it 8050B? been a while since i've been there) and i liked them both more than 1031 (or 1032?).

However, i don't think 8340 are on the level of neither ATC SCM20 (based on the 150 i heard) nor SM9s.

KH310 to my ears are very unpleasant. They sound annoying and dynamically flat to me. They do have stellar midrange - if they're issues in the midrange they're probably going to be revealed on the KH310. But i just can't work with them for more than an hour before becoming agitated, not my type of speaker.
I may like sealed design in theory - but in practice i guess i don't. (although my sub is sealed and it's the best sub i've heard so far)
I thought mixing on the KH310's sounded like the equivalent of making music in a doctors office. Way too clinical and zero vibe to them. They're decent to mix on but I didn't find them inspiring or get that feeling that I couldn't wait to get to the studio and mix with them. That's sort of my feeling on the Genelec "Ones" I heard as well. Too harsh in the upper mids. They're "good" mixing tools if you happen to like that sound but I just couldn't ultimately connect with them like I do with my Amphions.

You're spot on about the Twins being horrible with front to back info. It's one of the reason I got rid of mine. I actually saw the Trio 11's when I was picking up my Amphions at the dealer...They're HUGE speakers. It would take 2 people to lift them on to a stand. I didn't hear them, however. I know appearances only matter so much but that cherry red wood finish on the sides that I initially thought was really nice on the Twins doesn't not work well on a speaker that size.

I liked the Twins much more than the Trio 6's, personally. I had a buddy below my studio who had the Trio's and I just thought they were whatever. I've always wanted to hear the SM9 as they're apparently a noticeable step up from the Twins but never got the chance.
Old 4th May 2020
  #19
Lives for gear
What Amphions do you have 15, 18 or? How do you find them?
Old 4th May 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
What Amphions do you have 15, 18 or? How do you find them?
Two 15's. They're my favorite speaker I've ever worked on. Same ultra fast transient speed, punch and focus as the One 15 but with more bass.

Tried the One 18's in my studio and they felt slower and more recessed. I do remember really loving the Two 18's when I heard them next to the Two 15's though but I think the front to back / transient speed of the 15's is better for mixing.
Old 4th May 2020
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

I've been mixing on Trios for 4 years now, love'em to death! I tried many different top monitors since then (Genelecs, Adams, Dynaudios, Amphions) - all went back. Focal Trio6 are just perfect for me and my room
Old 5th May 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Two 15's. They're my favorite speaker I've ever worked on. Same ultra fast transient speed, punch and focus as the One 15 but with more bass.

Tried the One 18's in my studio and they felt slower and more recessed. I do remember really loving the Two 18's when I heard them next to the Two 15's though but I think the front to back / transient speed of the 15's is better for mixing.
Thanks for that. The dealer here is going to let me try out the one 15s, I'll ask him how much the two 15s are. He gave me a price on the one 18s but after reading your post I'm now curious about the two 15s.
Old 5th May 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Thanks for that. The dealer here is going to let me try out the one 15s, I'll ask him how much the two 15s are. He gave me a price on the one 18s but after reading your post I'm now curious about the two 15s.
Cool. Two 15's are around $2K a piece vs the One 15 are half that. Both have the same sonic profile but the Two 15's have more bass obviously.

The trick with the Amphions is to work on them and not base first impressions just off listening to finished / mastered records on them. They guide you very easily towards a finished mix. 100% trustworthy in terms of translation.
Old 5th May 2020
  #24
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Cool. Two 15's are around $2K a piece vs the One 15 are half that. Both have the same sonic profile but the Two 15's have more bass obviously.

The trick with the Amphions is to work on them and not base first impressions just off listening to finished / mastered records on them. They guide you very easily towards a finished mix. 100% trustworthy in terms of translation.
i was under the impression that Amphions were CRAZY expensive??

2k/piece is NOT what i call crazy expensive.
Old 5th May 2020
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
i was under the impression that Amphions were CRAZY expensive??

2k/piece is NOT what i call crazy expensive.
It's $4K for the pair of Two 15's. Another $1700 for the Amp 700 and another $350 for the Amphion cables. Look at it like it's all in one, active system because if you start switching things out your results will vary greatly. Figure it'll end up being around $6500 with taxes.
Old 5th May 2020
  #26
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
It's $4K for the pair of Two 15's. Another $1700 for the Amp 700 and another $350 for the Amphion cables. Look at it like it's all in one, active system because if you start switching things out your results will vary greatly. Figure it'll end up being around $6500 with taxes.
ah yes, without the woofers.
they become expensive with the 10k/piece woofers.

i currently have twins which are similar in size to Two15's, and i'd really like a 3-way so amphions are out of the question because i don't have the budget for the stack.
Old 6th May 2020
  #27
Amphion are very good but they are two way speaker and a good design 3 way will provide more detailed information then a good two way design.
Old 6th May 2020
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx View Post
ah yes, without the woofers.
they become expensive with the 10k/piece woofers.

i currently have twins which are similar in size to Two15's, and i'd really like a 3-way so amphions are out of the question because i don't have the budget for the stack.
After owning the Twins for many years, I would argue that the monitor size doesn't matter. It took me a long time to figure that out. In fact, some would argue "the smaller the speaker, the bigger the mix" but that's a whole other discussion. Yes, the Twins are a similar size as the Two 15's but the Twins are actually a 2.5 way design and not a true 2-way like the Amphion due to the way the same 6 inch woofers are splitting up mid and low frequencies.

This might lead someone to believe that the Twins have an advantage but nope. The Two 15's give much more information across the board - namely in terms of front to back info, transient speed, focus and overall dynamics than the Twins. These alone are half the battle to getting a decent mix! They're also less finicky in terms of placement because you're not dealing with the funky SBIR that occurs with the Twin's design.
My point is - Just because it's a two way doesn't mean that it's not providing as much information. I had the KH310's in my space for two weeks and they definitely didn't provide better translatable information, other than more low end, then the Amphion and they're considered a good 3-way.

Dave Pensado now swears by Two 18's. Rob Kinelski did the Billie Eilish album on the Two 18's. The Two 18's are 2-way monitors.

There's nothing wrong with 2-way designs.

Last edited by Shaggy2039; 6th May 2020 at 02:59 AM..
Old 6th May 2020
  #29
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
After owning the Twins for many years, I would argue that the monitor size doesn't matter. It took me a long time to figure that out. In fact, some would argue "the smaller the speaker, the bigger the mix" but that's a whole other discussion. Yes, the Twins are a similar size as the Two 15's but the Twins are actually a 2.5 way design and not a true 2-way like the Amphion due to the way the same 6 inch woofers are splitting up mid and low frequencies.

This might lead someone to believe that the Twins have an advantage but nope. The Two 15's give much more information across the board - namely in terms of front to back info, transient speed, focus and overall dynamics than the Twins. These alone are half the battle to getting a decent mix! They're also less finicky in terms of placement because you're not dealing with the funky SBIR that occurs with the Twin's design.
My point is - Just because it's a two way doesn't mean that it's not providing as much information. I had the KH310's in my space for two weeks and they definitely didn't provide better translatable information, other than more low end, then the Amphion and they're considered a good 3-way.

Dave Pensado now swears by Two 18's. Rob Kinelski did the Billie Eilish album on the Two 18's. The Two 18's are 2-way monitors.

There's nothing wrong with 2-way designs.
certainly not - i wasn't trying to imply that
But, I'm well aware of the twin's shortcomings (namely SBIR and front to back) since it's killing me. But i like the focal sound. Amphion's i only heard briefly so i can't pass judgement, the only guy i know that had them, has now replaced them with dutch & dutch.

i'm just looking for a 3-way at the moment - i'll look for a complementing compact 2-way eventually. (One15 or even one 12 to complement the Focals would actually be nice)

I'm not a fan of KH310 to be honest and i actually prefer twins to them, despite their shortcomings.

I really really like the Focal sound, the only issues i have with twins are the ones you mentioned - and i think the Trio design should alleviate that for the most part.

And, it would be nice to have an option to mix without the woofer when feeling like.
Old 15th May 2020
  #30
Lives for gear
Just an update. I ended up purchasing Genelec 8341As.

I went to hear the 8341As last Friday for 1.5 hours. I was shown how to use the GLM software in the store. I was absolutely blown away by the sound from the 8341as. The monitors are so detailed, clear and have an amazing stereo field. As soon as I first heard them I just wanted to buy them. I felt the same way throughout the 1.5 hour listening session. I listened to other music and played my own music on the monitors. It was jaw dropping and still is. I have never heard such 3D speakers in my life. The stereo imaging and detail was absolutely amazing. I was surprised how good my mixes sounded one them that I recently got mastered. I did not recall the SM9s sounding like them. When compared side by side with the 1030As, the 8341As made the 1030As sound very muffled.

The GML software is very good for calibrating the monitors and helping to remove room issues. It is interesting because my studio is not professionally treated. There are no bass traps in the room. I do have bed sheets covering a couple of synths and the drum set as dust protection and curtains covering the windows and sliding door but that is a bout it. The floors are solid and the room is an odd shape. Tonight I looked at a demonstration of GLM on Warren Huart's youtube page. His room is treated with bass traps, etc. What was interesting is the the GLM calibration graph looked healthier on my setup than his. He had a big dip in his room around 100 hz, which I don't have.

The 8341A monitors sound equally amazing in the studio and in the living room. There are no problem frequencies in the living room surprisingly. The GLM software is quite phenomenal. There is sufficient bass. They handle 808 and 909 bass drum sounds well although not at nightclub levels. I have had them quite loud and they have not clipped or sounded distorted. They are a true pleasure to have and suit my needs.

Last edited by waldie wave; 18th May 2020 at 01:09 PM..
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 216 views: 87099
Avatar for Slogun
Slogun 18th February 2020
replies: 3499 views: 1030655
Avatar for sergioelectro
sergioelectro 1 week ago
replies: 8103 views: 1241802
Avatar for James Lehmann
James Lehmann 10 hours ago
replies: 135 views: 18236
Avatar for DjjmDjjmdm
DjjmDjjmdm 7th November 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump