The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HELP!!! Please tell me there is still use for my AD16x/DA16xs going forward?
Old 23rd January 2020
Here for the gear

HELP!!! Please tell me there is still use for my AD16x/DA16xs going forward?

Hey guys n gals...so Im at a crossroads. I have these old Apogee AD16X/DA16X converters w/ the X-HD cards rockin with the old powermac G5.
I dont want to get rid of them, but if it makes sense to sell it in order to FULLY "catch up", so be it. And Im looking to go at this with as little additional money as possible. I'd like to intergrate my laptop,( which where all my NEWer software is...ie...Protools 12, Waves, etc.) into the old system. I'd like to somehow, IF POSSIBLE, have my A to D conversion be done by my AD16Xs...and run both my PT7 on my G5 rig as master and PT12 on the laptop as a slave. Doing another $3500 for new converters is out the question right now.
So the question, I THINK, is......what setup or equipment would allow my laptop's audio to stay in the digital domain UNTIL it reaches the old Apogees...WITHOUT converting twice? Is it even POSSIBLE to tap back into those converters with a PT12/laptop rig? There were a lot of these old Apogees and Digidesigns old 192 I/Os that were sold for the old HD3 Accel rigs....I know I'm not the only one that was stuck with this situation.
Any after market options? Maybe an Interface with USB Adat lightpipe somehow? HELP!!!!
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

dunno how much pt locks you into their hardware these days - if not, of course you can keep your converters going (they ain't bad)! check out rme-audio's line of interfaces: they got plenty with adat and usb.
if you need/want to run at higher than standard speed and maybe expand your system, you might either use several interfaces (no sweat with rme) or use their 648 adat/madi converter and a madiface usb for 32 channels of i/o at 96k - the former can be found relatively cheap quite often...
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Addict
umm, what about a (used) Thunderbolt HD Native box?
assuming your laptop is a Mac and your PT 12 license is HD...
Old 23rd January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
dunno how much pt locks you into their hardware these days - if not, of course you can keep your converters going (they ain't bad)! check out rme-audio's line of interfaces: they got plenty with adat and usb.
if you need/want to run at higher than standard speed and maybe expand your system, you might either use several interfaces (no sweat with rme) or use their 648 adat/madi converter and a madiface usb for 32 channels of i/o at 96k - the former can be found relatively cheap quite often...
I'm gonna look into this...thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Rme digiface usb is cheap and great for a native setup.
Otherwise hd native thunderbolt
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.frad View Post
Rme digiface usb is cheap and great for a native setup.
Otherwise hd native thunderbolt
Yeah, this is likely your best bet if you want to keep using them, otherwise you're looking at maybe $500 a piece if you sell them. I still have an old DA-16X connected to an RME UFX via ADAT for some spare channels and it works great. Still totally viable today.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I owned the apogee ADDA-X series for 18 before moving to a 24x32 Burl Mothership.

The Apogee X Series are very good converters and you can keep them going as long as Apogee’s firmware gets upgraded. Unfortunately this is what makes a lot of people move to a new system.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search