The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Inductor style eq to complement pultecs on mixbus?
Old 4 weeks ago
Inductor style eq to complement pultecs on mixbus?

I have and love the AML Pultec for tracking, seriously considering a second one for mixbus.

Would like to complement the AML with something else for mixbus on mids. I tried Thermionic pullet, as much as I love the pultec approach to highs and lows, passive mids felt a bit hollow sounding to me, like I wanted the clarity and thump of passive highs and lows, but something more solid, crunchy, thick, and characterful for mids. Felt similarly when I had Thermionic Swift (great eq, but liked the AML pultec highs/lows sooo much for my needs).

In the past I owned quite a few eqs that I tried and sold or liquidated what remained to make a large synth purchase: Hammer Mk1 (loved the mids and proportional q on mixes! mids seemed far thicker than on the cleaner thermionic stuff), Stam Neve EQ (glorious crunchy mids, great tone, but limited), Chandler CB 500 module and Germanium TC (more crunch mids and crazy highs, but worry that highs could get a little shrill on a mix, didn't compare one to one with neve style eq, not sure how they'd differ in tone, and the TC I tried the eq was fine but the germanium color control was out), Phoenix DRS gyrator eq (really deep cuts/boosts, lot of fun for tonal sculpting while tracking, still have this), Sontec 250x (amazing, especially those highs, but hard to get much in the way of mids from it at all, and for my style I found pultec just has 'the sound'). My music is mostly vintage 70's analog synths with drums and bass guitar, looking for max color but nothing lofi.

From what I can tell, I like inductor based color for mids. Have considered various vintage racked console EQs for this as well. Chandler Curve Bender would likely fit the bill wonderfully, but eek on price tag. I could see rebuying Hammer (mk2 this time), a neve style eq, or germanium tc, but maybe something else fits the bill better. Curious about Purple Odd, Daking EQ, or any other inductor style eqs I may have overlooked, otherwise will likely go Hammer 2, or Neve clone, or Germanium TC.

Any recommendations on what sort of crunchy inductor type eq use to complement a pultec style-pair on mids for mixbus?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Knif Soma for smooth

if you want a more aggressive sound Great River MEQ-2NV
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a GR NV eq and it’s pretty good and I’d like a stereo one at some point and in particulr the mastering version

I think you’re over complicating the decision.. get another AML then reasses as you’ll end up using it somewhere if not on the mic as intended
Old 3 weeks ago
Honestly I don’t think the mids on the massive passive can be beat.... there’s something abt the mids on that box that just work. You can also go from a vintage vibe to a hifi sounds as well. Very powerful Eq but not cheap.... pairs beautiful with your aml Pultecs box
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
I have and love the AML Pultec for tracking, seriously considering a second one for mixbus.

Would like to complement the AML with something else for mixbus on mids. I tried Thermionic pullet, as much as I love the pultec approach to highs and lows, passive mids felt a bit hollow sounding to me, like I wanted the clarity and thump of passive highs and lows, but something more solid, crunchy, thick, and characterful for mids. Felt similarly when I had Thermionic Swift (great eq, but liked the AML pultec highs/lows sooo much for my needs).

In the past I owned quite a few eqs that I tried and sold or liquidated what remained to make a large synth purchase: Hammer Mk1 (loved the mids and proportional q on mixes! mids seemed far thicker than on the cleaner thermionic stuff), Stam Neve EQ (glorious crunchy mids, great tone, but limited), Chandler CB 500 module and Germanium TC (more crunch mids and crazy highs, but worry that highs could get a little shrill on a mix, didn't compare one to one with neve style eq, not sure how they'd differ in tone, and the TC I tried the eq was fine but the germanium color control was out), Phoenix DRS gyrator eq (really deep cuts/boosts, lot of fun for tonal sculpting while tracking, still have this), Sontec 250x (amazing, especially those highs, but hard to get much in the way of mids from it at all, and for my style I found pultec just has 'the sound'). My music is mostly vintage 70's analog synths with drums and bass guitar, looking for max color but nothing lofi.

From what I can tell, I like inductor based color for mids. Have considered various vintage racked console EQs for this as well. Chandler Curve Bender would likely fit the bill wonderfully, but eek on price tag. I could see rebuying Hammer (mk2 this time), a neve style eq, or germanium tc, but maybe something else fits the bill better. Curious about Purple Odd, Daking EQ, or any other inductor style eqs I may have overlooked, otherwise will likely go Hammer 2, or Neve clone, or Germanium TC.

Any recommendations on what sort of crunchy inductor type eq use to complement a pultec style-pair on mids for mixbus?
Old 3 weeks ago
For whatever reason I find I really dig passive highs and lows with inductors like on the pultec, but prefer active inductors on the mids. Maybe Hammer 2 and a pair of Neve Style eq, the former more for tracking. Haven't used a Massive Passive, I heard they're incredible, but if I'm gonna spend that kind of cash, may as well go curve bender, which I think for my style of music, would be the ultimate complement to the pultecs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Can you rent gear in your area? I highly suggest you rent both the CB and the MP. They are both amazing but like I said b4, the mids are magic on the MP.
Quote:
For whatever reason I find I really dig passive highs and lows with inductors like on the pultec, but prefer active inductors on the mids. Maybe Hammer 2 and a pair of Neve Style eq, the former more for tracking. Haven't used a Massive Passive, I heard they're incredible, but if I'm gonna spend that kind of cash, may as well go curve bender, which I think for my style of music, would be the ultimate complement to the pultecs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a Great River mastering eq that basically lives on my buss. I much prefer it to my pultecs on the 2 buss. You should check one out if you can.
Old 2 weeks ago
you prefer great river to even tube pultecs? wow. I had a sontec 250 and thermionic swift that I sold after I heard the aml tube pultec clone. is the great river better than the sontec for solid state? I wonder if solid state vs tube is a preference thing here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
you prefer great river to even tube pultecs? wow. I had a sontec 250 and thermionic swift that I sold after I heard the aml tube pultec clone. is the great river better than the sontec for solid state? I wonder if solid state vs tube is a preference thing here.
When you refer to the AML Tube Pultec clones.

Do you mean the kits for £499 + VAT?

It looks like you can buy them built for an extra £160.

Seems to good to be true if they're THAT good!
Old 2 weeks ago
Miads.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

Correct
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

They are that good. And it is true. I have a pair here.

To the OP. You know AML does the MEQ midrange pultec too, right?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well then, I might just have to buy a pair .....

Pre-made I should add, if I try to build them it wouldn't end well !!
Old 2 weeks ago
Yes, I know the MEQ does exist for the AML Pultecs, but when I've tried passive eq for mids in the past (pullet, swift), they were too clean and pure sounding for my taste. But I remember the Hammer Mk1 I had, loving the mids, so I'm guessing its not tubes, it's passive that for whatever reason sounds too clear on mids for me. Never used an MEQ, though, but I really like thick solid state eq for mids.

Miads look wonderful, but at that price, may as well save up for curve bender. Never see them show up used either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Massive passive mids are something else!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Massive passive mids are something else!
Yep. My massive passive lives on my mixbus.
Old 2 weeks ago
What’s your usual boost on your MP? Do you use the shelving more or bell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yep. My massive passive lives on my mixbus.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Bell for mids generally but not afraid of a gentle 5-6k shelf on the high mids.

Whilst it can wind in the bottom and tops I think my pulse is much stronger on sweeter here, but Fark me the massive makes the mids just pop out of the mixes and in the speakers themselves.

I like to pile it on to see how far I can go before it really sounds naff and then wind back till it perceivable disappears and then back to the fulcrum point between disappearing and getting just enough of that mid lift.

Wiggy
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

For 500 series it might be worth checking out the Buzz Audio Tonic EQs http://www.buzzaudio.com/products/tonic.htm
They have become some of my favorite go to EQs especially for drums, acoustic guitars and piano [MP is also great for Piano].
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I don't have a 'usual boost' I'm afraid. The stuff we do here is really diverse so it really depends what I think is missing in any particular mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
Waiting for a TF Pro P9 mastering EQ. Bax, all inductor Hard to find but a pretty unique EQ.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Waiting for a TF Pro P9 mastering EQ. Bax, all inductor Hard to find but a pretty unique EQ.
I had one of head and it’s very very much and underrated EQ. Sadly had to sell it last year along with my GML, though i actually think the GML is massively overrated for the price, I do miss my TF pro P9. Very nice and smooth musical tone. Switched pots too boom!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I had one of head and it’s very very much and underrated EQ. Sadly had to sell it last year along with my GML, though i actually think the GML is massively overrated for the price, I do miss my TF pro P9. Very nice and smooth musical tone. Switched pots too boom!
Yes when you compare the GML to a used Avalon 2055 it's a joke.

TF is a really nice helpful bloke too.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post

I've always been very impressed with Ted. What other gear maker can you send an e-mail to half way across the world and get a detailed reply in 10 minutes?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post

Indeed I’m strongly considering a 2055 to replace it. Where you using yours Paul?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Indeed I’m strongly considering a 2055 to replace it. Where you using yours Paul?
On the Main Bus. It replaced my GML.
Old 1 week ago
Hadn't heard of the T9 before. Was thinking of picking up a Hammer 2 to complement the pultecs, but this seems a contender as well. Much rarer it seems, but seems they sell for about as much as a Hammer 2. Any sense how they'd compare? T9 has inductors and transformers but is solid state with 4 bands and select few freqs, Hammer 2 is gyrators but tube without transformers with proportional q 3 band but lots of freqs. Both have stepped pots, filters, switches for bells and shelves, have a rep for smooth color. T9 has more input/output controls.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

With the Pullet, it all rather depends on what you use to make up gain...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Hadn't heard of the T9 before. Was thinking of picking up a Hammer 2 to complement the pultecs, but this seems a contender as well. Much rarer it seems, but seems they sell for about as much as a Hammer 2. Any sense how they'd compare? T9 has inductors and transformers but is solid state with 4 bands and select few freqs, Hammer 2 is gyrators but tube without transformers with proportional q 3 band but lots of freqs. Both have stepped pots, filters, switches for bells and shelves, have a rep for smooth color. T9 has more input/output controls.
If you're talking about the P9, I've only run a few tests so far but it's very nice sounding. Sweet inductor tones. Probably the best EQ I've had so far, and I've had plenty come and go. They are however, very rare. I waited years to find one at a decent price. There are two versions. The earliest ones were red, and some had a problem with the right channel having less gain, and were prone to hum. Those problems were fixed when the blue ones were released. So... look for a blue one.
Old 1 week ago
oops yes, p9. Well I know you've listened to your fair share of gear as well, so quite a few endorsements. Curious how it compares to hammer, but as I've already had hammer mk1 and have audio samples, may make sense to try to find a p9 and see if I like it better, as the hammer mk2 is mostly more freqs and detented pots. I do love the sound of inductors, so could be very worth hearing. great suggestion!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search