The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API512v vs API3124v Preamps
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

API512v vs API3124v Preamps

I worked in a studio facility the past five years on the 32 channel API 1608 console, and I am in love the tone it imparts on almost every source for drum recording.

Now that studio is closing, and I am looking to reacquire the sound of the 1608 in my own studio. I'm interested if anyone has had the pleasure of comparing or using both of these preamps with the output attenuation option, what are the tonality differences and which might be closer to the console sound.

I currently own 4 CAPI preamps (VP26 red dots) and don't feel they are similar to the 1608 pres also being different op amps. I'm keen to have a discussion around these products in general
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I worked in a studio facility the past five years on the 32 channel API 1608 console, and I am in love the tone it imparts on almost every source for drum recording.

Now that studio is closing, and I am looking to reacquire the sound of the 1608 in my own studio. I'm interested if anyone has had the pleasure of comparing or using both of these preamps with the output attenuation option, what are the tonality differences and which might be closer to the console sound.

I currently own 4 CAPI preamps (VP26 red dots) and don't feel they are similar to the 1608 pres also being different op amps. I'm keen to have a discussion around these products in general
Modern/current 512 and 3124 are virtually the same. You can't go wrong with either
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I think the console uses the 312 preamps.

The CAPI are INHO a lot different than the new style API. CAPI being much more colorful. Add four of them 535-LA’s to the mix and get more of the console sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tummond View Post
I think the console uses the 312 preamps.
548B
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I definitely remember reading something along the lines of the API 512c had less headroom because of 16v rails instead of the 24v rails the console operates on. Could use some clarity on this as well
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
548B
That’s the card but I thought the preamp were the 312 style?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I definitely remember reading something along the lines of the API 512c had less headroom because of 16v rails instead of the 24v rails the console operates on. Could use some clarity on this as well

The 1608 runs at 24? many of the custom 70s API consoles ran as low as 15v and max was generally 20v.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

API console power

API consoles operate on a nominal bipolar 15 VDC.
Bipolar 16 VDC allows for a 2 diode drops on their modules/cards.
Positive 24 volts is most likely for relays.

Where is the smart API "police" when you need them ?

Regarding modern API mic preamp implementations,
nothing compares to an original, un-molested 312.

The new stuff is kinda, sorta, similar, but there are different parts, more components in the path, transformer ideas borrowed from Quad/Eight.

If you like it the newish vanilla flavor, fine.
Just not like it was in the 70's.
Attached Thumbnails
API512v vs API3124v Preamps-api_pwr.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search