The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I've narrowed it down to these 3 mics - thoughts?
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Maniac
I've narrowed it down to these 3 mics - thoughts?

I posted awhile back wanting a mic that excels on acoustic guitar and possibly micing a low volume bass amp. But I expanded my search to also give me a different color than my main workhorse which is the Neumann U87Ai maybe mic some vocalists, etc. I find that mic excels in bringing out mid to upper mid with great detail. It helps my voice a lot because I do not have a terribly buzzy midrange. Other clients I work with like bright resonant high-voiced female artists can be really harsh with this mic.

I also own the Audio Technica 4050/CM5 which is less bright but simply not as high quality as the U87. I also use an SM57 and an AKGC1000. Bottom line just not the highest end.

But main use for new mic would be acoustic guitar and some double duty on other sources. With the advice from that other thread I've got some mics I'm considering and I also am looking at getting them used. If there's anything else out there please advise, thx.

Neumann KM56 - $4400 plus cost of power supply

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neumann-KM5...oAAOSwLfxdyFB6

vs

Lucas CS1 - $4500

https://reverb.com/p/lucas-cs-1-tube...ser-microphone

vs

Telefunken C12 with Shannon Rhodes 251 Mod - $4900

Telefunken Elektroakustik C12

Last edited by markchatwin; 18th January 2020 at 07:54 PM..
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

The C12 gets used for male tenors and female vocalists so it's got some double value but it might be pretty bright on acoustic. But it depends on how you like your acoustic to sound in a mix. So that's a hard call.

The SM56 on your list would be my pick but if you're in that price range, I would lean toward the SM54. It's used in Nashville on a lot of premiere acoustic tracks, actually any stringed instrument. Kind of the holy grail for acoustic guitar tracks.
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

A KM (not SM) 56 is a beautiful mic, I love mine. Vs the KM54: multiple patterns, sounds great in omni, which can be a really nice way to mic an acoustic if your room is good, and the Figure 8 pattern is very helpful for working in M/S, which is another really nice way to mic an AG if your room is good. It's not completely symmetrical in Fig 8, but it sounds so nice, I don't worry about it. The 54 has a nickel diaphragm, which tends to be a little brighter, and, as oldone mentioned, it's a staple on AG. But...

My go-to acoustic guitar mic is the old reliable KM84 (NOT a 184). It almost always sounds just right. You could save yourself a few thousand and be very happy. No, it's not tube, and I love tube mics, but an 84 is a classic for a reason.

However, an 84 (or a 54) probably won't be what you want for vocals. You might be better off taking care of one of these duties with this mic and then getting something else for vocals. And it's not because it wouldn't sound good, it's just that people are used to seeing big mics when they sing...
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markchatwin View Post
I posted awhile back wanting a mic that excels on acoustic guitar and possibly micing a low volume bass amp. But I expanded my search to also give me a different color than my main workhorse which is the Neumann U87Ai maybe mic some vocalists, etc. I find that mic excels in bringing out mid to upper mid with great detail. It helps my voice a lot because I do not have a terribly buzzy midrange. Other clients I work with like bright resonant high-voiced female artists can be really harsh with this mic.

I also own the Audio Technica 4050/CM5 which is less bright but simply not as high quality as the U87. I also use an SM57 and an AKGC1000. Bottom line just not the highest end.

But main use for new mic would be acoustic guitar and some double duty on other sources. With the advice from that other thread I've got some mics I'm considering and I also am looking at getting them used. If there's anything else out there please advise, thx.

Neumann SM56 - $4400 plus cost of power supply

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neumann-KM5...oAAOSwLfxdyFB6

vs

Lucas CS1 - $4500

https://reverb.com/p/lucas-cs-1-tube...ser-microphone

vs

Telefunken C12 with Shannon Rhodes 251 Mod - $4900

Telefunken Elektroakustik C12
3 used mics. Will you be able to hear them ... or have a return option policy?
For the amount of money you're willing to spend, I'd seriously check out a brand new Chandler REDD ... or a Manley (Silver, Ref or Gold) or a Josephson (716). Half of these will be much less. Sometimes you'll find a used C-800G for around $6K.
Old 18th January 2020
a pair of km84i mics will be a good investment, or pair of km86 and you'll be set for life, only a few years ago they were much much cheaper though, the value has skyrocketed in the last 5 years, people are starting to realise that modern equivalents are not the same. Just one mono km84 would be good enough with a good sounding guitar in a good room.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

That’s an extreme price for a KM56 with no power supply. You usually buy that as an adjusted system (which would need to be done once you have a power supply AND mated with the mic cable).

Even if you paid that much I’d have it on condition of inspection. There are two nickel diaphragms that can be damaged easily (irreplaceable) and a tube that can cost $1k to replace. And as this is a reskin the capsule is already 80% of what it was (and that’s only if Thiersch did the reskin which the seller hasn’t specified)

Pretty much they are asking mint condition prices for a mic that isn’t even original. If you want a KM56 (or KM54) look for a better one. Or an SM2 (stereo KM56). I’ve see those with power supply at the same asking price as this one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Now I'm really close to a Neumann KM 54 and KM 56. What would be a reasonable price for each mic assuming them being original, original 701 tube, in good condition, not re-skinned?

Also what is a fair price for original power supply NKM (good working order) and a price for the Drefahl audio DN221 stereo power supply?

Can't seem to find price for that Drefahl...

Original power supply $600-$700?

Thanks, its hard to know where the market has gone...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How about a ribbon?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markchatwin View Post
Now I'm really close to a Neumann KM 54 and KM 56. What would be a reasonable price for each mic assuming them being original, original 701 tube, in good condition, not re-skinned?

Also what is a fair price for original power supply NKM (good working order) and a price for the Drefahl audio DN221 stereo power supply?

Can't seem to find price for that Drefahl...

Original power supply $600-$700?

Thanks, its hard to know where the market has gone...

Just email Peter (Drefahl). http://www.drefahlaudio.com
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
Just email Peter (Drefahl). http://www.drefahlaudio.com
Peter saved my old D12 5 years ago. Legend!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can’t really think of a mic more complimentary to the U87 than a CS1.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search