The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analoug vs Digital Summing samples
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Head
Analoug vs Digital Summing samples

Just got a Dangerous 2BUS+

I tried it on one of my works with 8 stereo channels. Here is the result.

The two mixes are exactly the same except one is digital summing with Cubase pro, the other one was spread out to the 16 mono tracks on the 2BUS+ and summed back using the following chain:

Sound Card: RME HDSPe
DA Conversion: Apogee DA16X
Summing Box: Dangerous 2BUS+
AD Conversion: RME ADI-2 Pro FS (master clock)

recorded at 24bit, 48kHz

I tried to match the levels. Although the balance seems to be a bit different despite I didn't move the fader at all.

Feel free to comment and guess. I will post result later.
Attached Files

Amix.mp3 (4.40 MB, 1871 views)

BMix.mp3 (4.40 MB, 1861 views)

Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

I would be hard pressed to find a difference listening with headphones. Maybe it is the roll-off of hearing due to being in my fifties and there is something going on above 13kHz that I am just not hearing!
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Addict

On earbuds I prefer mix A. Bass is tighter, glue is better. Is it the analog summing one? I think I hear Apogee conversion "smiley curve" signature. If I'm wrong and A is ITB, I'd be perfectly happy summing in Cubase!
Old 16th January 2020
Here for the gear

seems like a small difference in the low end where the low-low end punch of kick/bass pushes slightly out further from the speakers in A
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

The irony of using a digital platform to evaluate analog sound ...
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head
I'll PM the result instead.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

They are a little different but one is not better or worse. They both sound decent. In the grand scale they are pretty much the same. No matter which is which, the analog one was probably not worth the extra effort. IMO of course.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicarbone View Post
On earbuds I prefer mix A. Bass is tighter, glue is better. Is it the analog summing one? I think I hear Apogee conversion "smiley curve" signature. If I'm wrong and A is ITB, I'd be perfectly happy summing in Cubase!
Thank you. PMed you the result.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by disantlor View Post
seems like a small difference in the low end where the low-low end punch of kick/bass pushes slightly out further from the speakers in A
Yes. Curious why that happens.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
They are a little different but one is not better or worse. They both sound decent. In the grand scale they are pretty much the same. No matter which is which, the analog one was probably not worth the extra effort. IMO of course.
Thank you for your opinion.
Old 16th January 2020
Here for the gear
A is Dangerous, B Cubase
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Mix A is summing and Mix B is Cubase.. Thats what i think
Old 17th January 2020
I wouldn't have wasted the money on the Dangerous item
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I wouldn't have wasted the money on the Dangerous item
Good for you.
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Nut
I guess A is Cubase.

The bass drum on B sounded a little pillowy and smeared in comparison and I thought the top end was a little smoother. Beyond that, things seemed to poke out of the mix slightly differently. They sounded different but neither was bad. Depends on the sound/workflow you want. If I knew I wanted a pillowy bass drum, I would generally try to capture that when tracking so I have no preference as to which is "better."

I only listened on headphones. Didn't take the examination too seriously.

@ywshou Please PM the result. I am curious.
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigentone1 View Post
I guess A is Cubase.

The bass drum on B sounded a little pillowy and smeared in comparison and I thought the top end was a little smoother. Beyond that, things seemed to poke out of the mix slightly differently. They sounded different but neither was bad. Depends on the sound/workflow you want. If I knew I wanted a pillowy bass drum, I would generally try to capture that when tracking so I have no preference as to which is "better."

I only listened on headphones. Didn't take the examination too seriously.

@ywshou Please PM the result. I am curious.
Thank you for chiming in. Interesting observation. PM sent.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Addict

My guess is A is the cubase mix. From my experience, dangerous boxes sound just slightly dull if you're not hitting them a little hard and this seems like a delicate mix. And mix A has the most clarity of the two to my ears.

The tracks sounded a bit more cohesive in B. But for this track, I prefer A.

-<T>
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory View Post
My guess is A is the cubase mix. From my experience, dangerous boxes sound just slightly dull if you're not hitting them a little hard and this seems like a delicate mix. And mix A has the most clarity of the two to my ears.

The tracks sounded a bit more cohesive in B. But for this track, I prefer A.

-<T>
I indeed failed to hit it hard. That's the next thing I'm gonna try.

PMed you the result.

Thank you for your participation.
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Maniac

I prefer Mix A. Seems a bit more open and has a little more top end / less stuffy. But they’re very close regardless.

Could I have a PM please? Thanks!
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear
B is the analog mix. My ears are more relaxed when listening to B vs A
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Addict

Both sound good. Small differences. More details in mix A. More body in the piano in mix B.
Nice music, well done!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Thank you all for participation. PM sent to all who have guessed so far.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A = summing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Just saw this thread and wont be able to listen properly until later, but would like to have a PM waiting to tell which is which once I get to listen to it, so I can check it right after listening.

Thank you in advance!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I prefer B, nicer to listen to and seems more natural - so i guess this one is the analog mix with the Dangerous 2BUS++
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A has clearly more detail and is dynamically more defined than B. This results in more transparency and plasticity overall. I sum OTB myself, using a mixer, but not because it would sound inherently "better". The big advantage is in being able to use analog outboard on the inserts and on the master buss. Using those tools you can make a significant difference to the end result, compared to using plugins and staying ITB. Otherwise I would call it a waste of effort.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Around 37:00 of this video he does 1, 4, and 20 AD/DA passed and compares them. If you're using good converters using hardware inserts is the bee knees, and also sometimes not worth the effort.

https://youtu.be/Smy4j3LR-D8
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I prefer A. I think transients sound better on A.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

A sounds brighter/detailed, but could listen more time to B (easier on the ears).

PM the results please, thank you.

Daniel.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
PM sent to all above.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search