The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analoug vs Digital Summing samples
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A more airy, wide, clean and ambient.

B more round and dry.

Hard to know which is which. My gut says B is analog, but knowing that a lot of Dangerous gear ‘livens’ the sound I could also see A being Dangerous.

Please PM results.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I got it wrong, so hiding my opinions in shame.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
My guess is

A = Cubase
B = Analog summing

I have no first hand experience with OTB summing, but to me, B sounds a bit more thick and 'analog' if you will. When that low bass hits in middle of the track, it seems thicker in B vs. A.

I'd be happy with either mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
OK here is the result: A: Dangerous, B Cubase

I created the track in Cubase. Mix B is the result of it -- direct mix and summing. Although I have used lots of saturation plugin trying to mimic an analog vibe.

Then I got the Dangerous Box, So I simply routed everything to it without any further adjustments. I would say in this particular case B is a better mix since A's balance is off due to uneven levels of the Summing Box (or the DA converter. I need to find out.)

My obervation is that the summing box could certainly bring much more possibilities, giving me a wider image and bigger headroom to work with and can surely enable me to get a better mix if I mix directly into it instead of simply routing things to it.

Thank you all for your participation and opinions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywshuo View Post

I created the track in Cubase. Mix B is the result of it -- direct mix and summing. Although I have used lots of saturation plugin trying to mimic an analog vibe.

Then I got the Dangerous Box, So I simply routed everything to it without any further adjustments. I would say in this particular case B is a better mix since A's balance is off due to uneven levels of the Summing Box (or the DA converter. I need to find out.)

My obervation is that the summing box could certainly bring much more possibilities, giving me a wider image and bigger headroom to work with and can surely enable me to get a better mix if I mix directly into it instead of simply routing things to it.

I'm glad I guessed it right, however I don't hear only dangerous analog summing in A because the Apogee converters' sonic imprint is actually quite noticeable to me and therefore was kind of a hint.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywshuo View Post

I use a 2 Bus+ as well. Mixing through it will make a significant difference. Here’s a little tip for you:
On channels 15 & 16, I engage the paralimit and harmonics, turn both knobs fully clockwise, and use that as analog parallel compression channel. Saw Fab DuPont do it on a Puremix video. Works great. Happy summing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search