The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pultec clone for mix buss
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Pultec clone for mix buss

Hi guys, I am moving from itb to a hybrid setup. Hope someone would chime in. For stereo eq on mix bus I am looking at Tegeler audio EQP 1 or modified Klark Teknik eqp kt modified by revive audio https://www.reviveaudio.com/index.ph...id=332....also have an option on a Manley stereo Pultec clone..what do you guys think...looking for rich harmonics an smooth top end, good midrange and tight bass....

Many thanks
Zed Smon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What’s your budget?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

around 1500euro
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

The AML ezP1a sounds wonderful, tubey and sweet. It’s a very easy to solder/assemble kit that sounds fantastic. A pair would put you around £1000 (excluding VAT/shipping). I built one last summer (in an afternoon) and have plans for more.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

thnx for AML sugestion, I think I ve decided on custom audio Germany HDE 250a and a tubecore 3u compressor, latter in the year I ll ad black box hg2....what do u guys think?

thanks
Zmago
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmago Šmon View Post
thnx for AML sugestion, I think I ve decided on custom audio Germany HDE 250a and a tubecore 3u compressor, latter in the year I ll ad black box hg2....what do u guys think?

thanks
Zmago
I have the Tubecore and use it daily for mastering. Love it. Swapped out the tubes for 5670s. Dont be afraid to feed it a hot signal either.

I'm also interested in the HDE 250 or the Bettermaker 232 (which was what I was going to suggest since it has both parametric and pultec EQs). Let us know how things go.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

What was the change with replaced tubes on tubecore? I ll be posting on results but latter in march...

thank
Zmago
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Any other tubecore users out there?
Old 6 days ago
The stock tubes sound great and balanced IMHO
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Take a look at the GOLY PQ2, it's on my short list for this job. A little out of your budget, but not much.

https://www.goly.dk/devices

I haven't heard the Tegeler, but the KT was easily the worst sounding Pultec clone from the Sweetwater comparisons. The mods may make it more competitive, but I don't really get the idea behind buying new subpar gear and then modding it when there are so many good to great sounding options.

Last edited by swafford; 1 day ago at 09:11 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I'm curious how the GOLY would sound compared to the AML. I've used those in person and they sound great, was thinking of getting a pair of those for mixbus, but stepped pots for recall on the GOLY is quite nice for about the same price once the AML is built and shipped to US. Anyone been around both? Or the GOLY around another similar pultec type?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmago Šmon View Post
what do you guys think...looking for rich harmonics an smooth top end, good midrange and tight bass....

Many thanks
Zed Smon

Warm Audio EQP-WA. you'll thank me later
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGOD_OFFICIAL View Post
Sorry folks will thank me for discouraging his purchase for two reasons

1) poorly made and they fall apart and yes I have owned one.

2) they sound OK but don’t really nail it and for a little bit extra you can buy an AML clone which is as I’ve said many times before a mere bees dick away from my pulse Pultec in terms of tone. And they made very well albeit 3RU not 2RU.

Lots of info on my Pultec shootout thread I did with mod “Trev”.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Sorry folks will thank me for discouraging his purchase for two reasons

1) poorly made and they fall apart and yes I have owned one.

2) they sound OK but don’t really nail it and for a little bit extra you can buy an AML clone which is as I’ve said many times before a mere bees dick away from my pulse Pultec in terms of tone. And they made very well albeit 3RU not 2RU.

Lots of info on my Pultec shootout thread I did with mod “Trev”.

Cheers
Wiggy
I own two, had them for a year never once had a problem with neither of mine and they sound great. I don't think you've ever owned one. My opinion of course.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
These were a massive letdown and can be had for peanuts on any Craigslist.

I remember the announcement and the "Take my money!" filled threads, a year later the same threads were filled with "Take my units"

These units were a benchmark "All that glitters is not Gold" moment.

And I'm sure the OP knows well enough to avoid them,
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I own two, had them for a year never once had a problem with neither of mine and they sound great. I don't think you've ever owned one. My opinion of course.
I owned a pair for about 5 years. Did the job. "Great"...as compared to what? Sold them and bought one of the Audio Scape versions - much more solid bottom, much less grainy high end, much more dimensional.

Anyone can search these here forums for the Sweetwater Pultec shootout and listen for themselves how the Warm stacks up against other hardware versions. I added some AudioScape versions at the end of that thread.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, my opinion is you are a paid Astroturfer, who makes his living trying to misinform people and steer them towards whatever inferior (And in this case it's already KNOWN that these units were bad, so don't even bother lying about it) a company has paid you to shill for.

My crystal ball says you are about to start gaslighting, strawmaning, insulting and using any and all dirty "internetz" means at your disposal to defend and distract from your true intent, or the truth about the product you are sleazing for.

Anything you do is going to reflect BADLY on WARM audio, as anything you say will be charged to them directly. So why not do them a favor and GO AWAY.

You'll thank me later.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
I'm curious how the GOLY would sound compared to the AML. I've used those in person and they sound great, was thinking of getting a pair of those for mixbus, but stepped pots for recall on the GOLY is quite nice for about the same price once the AML is built and shipped to US. Anyone been around both? Or the GOLY around another similar pultec type?
I would love this also. The price point is perfect for me, I love the stepped pots and mid freq selections and his design aesthetic simply slays me. It would be great if he downloaded the Sweetwater files and ran them through a unit to at least have a base line for comparison. At this point if I end up buying a unit, it would be pretty much on gut.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you'll find he has most definately owned one.

You're talking about a well know and very well respected forum member.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, but the other member is The Official God.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I beg to differ
Attached Thumbnails
Pultec clone for mix buss-1dc2f060-1de3-46ca-952d-40186b1e4598.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

With two of the AML ezP1a do you need to link them for buss duty as you would 2 mono compressors?

Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEHIVE View Post
With two of the AML ezP1a do you need to link them for buss duty as you would 2 mono compressors?

No used set them manually or with tones
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 17 hours ago
I’ve owned Warm EQP-WA, and still own a Retro Powerstrip and older Tube Tech PE1B. I don’t think the EQP-WA is as bad as people are saying. I did have a pot break after about three years of use. I sent it to Warm and they replaced it (and the faceplate after I dropped the unit and bent a corner) for a reasonable flat fee.

Yes the more expensive units may sound better or different but if you can’t spend the equivalent of a used car on a pair of EQ’s I’m glad more affordable options exist.

Having said that I would like to try the Audioscape units and if I somehow stumbled into a bunch of money I would probably try the Pulse units. I also would probably get another Tube Tech or Powerstrip if I saw a good deal.
Old 15 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
I’ve owned Warm EQP-WA, and still own a Retro Powerstrip and older Tube Tech PE1B. I don’t think the EQP-WA is as bad as people are saying. I did have a pot break after about three years of use. I sent it to Warm and they replaced it (and the faceplate after I dropped the unit and bent a corner) for a reasonable flat fee.

Yes the more expensive units may sound better or different but if you can’t spend the equivalent of a used car on a pair of EQ’s I’m glad more affordable options exist.
I agree 100%
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have and love the AML Pultec for tracking, seriously considering a second one for mixbus. Is it difficult to match settings for stereo imaging on mixbus? This is a real concern of mine, and why I'm wondering about the Goly.

I'd also like to complement the AML with something else for mixbus on mids. I tried Thermionic pullet, as much as I love the pultec approach to highs and lows, passive mids left me feeling a bit like I want more crunchy character in my mids, felt similarly when I had Thermionic Swift (great eq, but liked the AML pultec highs/lows sooo much).

In the past I owned quite a few eqs that I tried and sold or liquidated what remained to make a large synth purchase: Hammer Mk1 (loved the mids and proportional q on mixes!), Stam Neve EQ (glorious crunchy mids but limited), Chandler CB 500 module and Germanium TC (more crunch mids and crazy highs, but worry that highs could get a little shrill on a mix, didn't compare one to one with neve style eq, not sure how they'd differ in tone), Phoenix DRS gyrator eq (really deep cuts/boosts, lot of fun for tonal sculpting while tracking, still have this). From what I can tell, I like inductor based color for mids. Have considered various vintage racked console EQs for this as well. I could see rebuying Hammer (mk2 this time), a neve style eq, or germanium tc, but maybe something else fits the bill better.

Any recommendations on what sort of crunchy inductor type eq use to complement a pultec style-pair on mids for mixbus? Prob should start a thread on just that.
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Mids ... look at Api 5500 for stereo sources.

Depends how much crunch but Calrec 1061/1161 work well on single sources.. not tried mine on a mix as they all Kinda sound a tiny bit different.

For mixes and mids I can’t go past the massive passive. Lives on my stereo bus and I’d love another one for vocals and other sources ... but that’s a pretty lunch outlay!
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Mids ... look at Api 5500 for stereo sources.

Depends how much crunch but Calrec 1061/1161 work well on single sources.. not tried mine on a mix as they all Kinda sound a tiny bit different.

For mixes and mids I can’t go past the massive passive. Lives on my stereo bus and I’d love another one for vocals and other sources ... but that’s a pretty lunch outlay!
Hmm. Why go API 5500 for mids over neve clone or a chandler germanium tc? I've never used an API eq, was under the impression they were best for music that thumps and has a more 'modern' tone, mine is more vintage and spacey/psychedlic, so I figured neve and tubes. Calrec 1061 would be great too, but damn they seem pricey lately!

I've always figured Curve Bender would be the best at what I'm looking for, but damn it's pricey. Massive Passive I hear is great too, but some like hammer better, and hammer is much less pricey, and when I had a hammer mk1, I quite liked it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search