The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube Traps: User Experience
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Tube Traps: User Experience

I just picked up 10 StudioTraps from ASC and briefly played around with creating a QSF in a small room.

Would love to hear some usage tips from other owners, especially if you've used them in tiny bedrooms or other unconventional spaces.

Mostly using these to record vocals and acoustic instruments, but will occasionally do drums and amps.

I've had experience using them in spare bedrooms and walk-in closets, and it's amazing how well they worked under those circumstances.

Feel free to share any suggestions!

(Posting this here rather than the Studio Acoustics forum because I'm looking to hear about actual usage scenarios rather than discussions about physics and other acoustic treatment products)
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Maniac

I only have DIY tube traps but I ended up with an abundance of them. So I did a radical thing which was mount them in every dihedral corner (I have triangle traps in the trihedral corners) in my room, except for wall/floor, of course. I have about 3-4" between traps and my bass response is VERY controlled with a mix of 9" and 15" traps. The only mode I still have problems with is 140hz due to my speakers being right in the center of my ceiling and floor.

Last edited by Dokterrock; 15th January 2020 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: accidentally a word
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

@ Dokterrock Awesome!
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

They can take a bad room out of the equation - very useful for any instrument, but particularly acoustic guitars and vocals. I will often put them right up on a drum kit in random spots if I want a real dry sound. It helps tighten things up.

Congrats on your purchase. It will improve the performance of every piece of your gear. The best part is they will move with you.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
They can take a bad room out of the equation - very useful for any instrument, but particularly acoustic guitars and vocals. I will often put them right up on a drum kit in random spots if I want a real dry sound. It helps tighten things up.

Congrats on your purchase. It will improve the performance of every piece of your gear. The best part is they will move with you.
Agreed on all points.

Super excited about being able to bring these anywhere. Definitely going to be a huge help for mobile work.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Congrats on the purchase -- I've always been intrigued by the QSF idea, especially the claim that the ERs add a kind of "density" around the microphone (if I'm correctly remembering the promo literature on it). Seems like it might come in handy for vocal sessions when the talent has trouble staying in position -- like it could maybe make the space around the mic more forgiving and not reveal as much off-axis ugliness. At least it's a fun idea to think about....my voice record sessions are for narration, and it drives me crazy when the head of the talent moves around too much, especially close to the glass in a smaller booth.

Any chance you might at some point put up some samples of it in use?
Old 17th January 2020
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

would love to buy a bunch of these
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
I just picked up 10 StudioTraps from ASC and briefly played around with creating a QSF in a small room.

Would love to hear some usage tips from other owners, especially if you've used them in tiny bedrooms or other unconventional spaces.

Mostly using these to record vocals and acoustic instruments, but will occasionally do drums and amps.

I've had experience using them in spare bedrooms and walk-in closets, and it's amazing how well they worked under those circumstances.

Feel free to share any suggestions!

(Posting this here rather than the Studio Acoustics forum because I'm looking to hear about actual usage scenarios rather than discussions about physics and other acoustic treatment products)
Would love to hear how your experience has been going and any tips. I’m considering ordering 8 of them for both tracking vocals, acoustic and electric guitar as well as mixing in a home living room setup.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Would love to hear how your experience has been going and any tips. I’m considering ordering 8 of them for both tracking vocals, acoustic and electric guitar as well as mixing in a home living room setup.
I absolutely love them and have been getting a lot of really good use out of them.

Been doing a lot of session vocals + songwriting lately and these help immensely when it comes to getting reliable, consistent results fast. They’re the most “set-and-forget” type of acoustic treatment I’ve ever used. I’m finally at a point where I can pretty much just put up a mic and record and I’m super happy about it.

For vocals, I’m using a QSF setup — I place all 10 around me in a circle with the absorptive side facing inward. Because it’s a tiny room, they end up being about 3’ away from the mic.

With acoustic guitars, I use a kind of odd setup where I have them all shoved against a wall with the diffusive side facing the player.

I’ll try and share some before/after examples when I get the chance.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I absolutely love them and have been getting a lot of really good use out of them.

Been doing a lot of session vocals + songwriting lately and these help immensely when it comes to getting reliable, consistent results fast. They’re the most “set-and-forget” type of acoustic treatment I’ve ever used. I’m finally at a point where I can pretty much just put up a mic and record and I’m super happy about it.

For vocals, I’m using a QSF setup — I place all 10 around me in a circle with the absorptive side facing inward. Because it’s a tiny room, they end up being about 3’ away from the mic.

With acoustic guitars, I use a kind of odd setup where I have them all shoved against a wall with the diffusive side facing the player.

I’ll try and share some before/after examples when I get the chance.
That would be awesome! What determined your choice to buy 10 and not 8, which is the # they sell for a QSF

Seems these are the way to go for me. Tracking in a living room for vocals, acoustic and electric guitar (all overdubs so one at a time); and then mixing.

The room is completely untreated. 18x13x8.5. It sounds pretty good already as there is a couch, some chairs, and furniture that help dampen and scatter the sound; though I think it can be improved. Can’t install any permanent treatment and the corners don’t have space for traps. So the QSF seems like a good choice, and when I move to a more permanent room I can expand to an attack wall, or use them to supplement other treatment.

Did a bit more research and I wonder if for mixing if 8 traps is enough to get the early reflections on the sides...It seems the goal is 16 traps at least; 4 on the front wall between the speakers, and 4 on each side for early reflections, and 4 for the rear wall. I was planning to buy 8, but I may consider 12 now, and another 4 for the rear down the line.

Last edited by mikoo69; 5th August 2020 at 07:43 PM..
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
That would be awesome! What determined your choice to buy 10 and not 8, which is the # they sell for a QSF

Seems these are the way to go for me. Tracking in a living room for vocals, acoustic and electric guitar (all overdubs so one at a time); and then mixing.

The room is completely untreated. 18x13x8.5. It sounds pretty good already as there is a couch, some chairs, and furniture that help dampen and scatter the sound; though I think it can be improved. Can’t install any permanent treatment and the corners don’t have space for traps. So the QSF seems like a good choice, and when I move to a more permanent room I can expand to an attack wall, or use them to supplement other treatment.

Did a bit more research and I wonder if for mixing if 8 traps is enough to get the early reflections on the sides...It seems the goal is 16 traps at least; 4 on the front wall between the speakers, and 4 on each side for early reflections, and 4 for the rear wall. I was planning to buy 8, but I may consider 12 now, and another 4 for the rear down the line.
I bought mine used, and the seller had 10 — no special reason for buying 10 instead of 8. I've experimented with using only 8 and it sounds just as good.

If you can afford to buy 12 or 16 and place a few around your speakers, that'd be killer! I would totally do that if I had the money. In fact, the guy I bought them from was using them like that.

The attack wall is probably the best way to go for monitoring, but alas, WAY too much money for my blood. It does sound amazing, though.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought mine used, and the seller had 10 — no special reason for buying 10 instead of 8. I've experimented with using only 8 and it sounds just as good.

If you can afford to buy 12 or 16 and place a few around your speakers, that'd be killer! I would totally do that if I had the money. In fact, the guy I bought them from was using them like that.

The attack wall is probably the best way to go for monitoring, but alas, WAY too much money for my blood. It does sound amazing, though.
As of now I’m going for 8 of them, to be used for tracking vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, and then when mixing to repurpose them for the speakers. The setup they recommend for 8 is 4 on the front between the speakers and then 2 on each side of the speakers, creating a mini attack wall (the actual full attack wall would have 4 on each side of the speakers, + the monitor stands + 4 behind the mic position for the deluxe version).

I’m actually considering going for 12 so I can have the 4 on each side. And then in my next room I’ll buy another 4 for the rear, and possible the speaker stands as wel (though I may just keep my speakers on sound anchors - still need to research how much benefit the speaker stands give).

Have you repurposed your 10 when mixing to put around the speakers?
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokterrock View Post
I only have DIY tube traps but I ended up with an abundance of them. So I did a radical thing which was mount them in every dihedral corner (I have triangle traps in the trihedral corners) in my room, except for wall/floor, of course. I have about 3-4" between traps and my bass response is VERY controlled with a mix of 9" and 15" traps. The only mode I still have problems with is 140hz due to my speakers being right in the center of my ceiling and floor.
Very cool. Mind if I ask what you made them from? Sounds like a DIY thing I can see in my future.... ;-)
Edit: never mind, found untold info.

Last edited by Karloff70; 6th August 2020 at 01:58 PM..
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Very cool. Mind if I ask what you made them from? Sounds like a DIY thing I can see in my future.... ;-)
Edit: never mind, found untold info.
You can see them here - as far as I know they're just insulation and plywood. Not sure what kind of insulation as I never opened them up. Got 'em cheap from somebody who was upgrading and they've been great for me.

Old 7th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokterrock View Post
You can see them here - as far as I know they're just insulation and plywood. Not sure what kind of insulation as I never opened them up. Got 'em cheap from somebody who was upgrading and they've been great for me.

Nice, thanks!! Will definitely make some when I move next for a new room. Found the relevant Knauf stuff here already. Easy peasy.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear