The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replace Neumann KH120+Eve TS108 for Neumann KH310?
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Replace Neumann KH120+Eve TS108 for Neumann KH310?

Hi,

I am considering upgrading my current setup.
At the moment I’m using Neumann KH120’s with an Eve TS108 sub and this is working very well. However, I’ve been offered a good deal on the KH310’s but the seller isn’t local so I can’t try them first.
I’ve read a couple of people say the KH310’s need a bigger room to focus the stereo imaging? I’m not sure this is true though?
I take my KH120’s out to some of my location recording jobs so the small size is helpful. Also, the Eve sub has some very useful features like being able to fully control all the parameters via remote control.
I think ideally I would love a DSP version of the KH120’s but have no idea if Neumann have any plans for this? I’ve also considered adding a second sub as I’ve read this helps with node averaging but again don’t know if this is true?

Not sure if I would be better to stick with my current setup?
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Maniac

The Neumann KH310s are excellent near-field monitors and require absolutely no large room. Due to their closed construction, they are very insensitive to alignment. Furthermore, they have been specially designed for a wide spot (classic mixing console speakers) in horizontal orientation.
Neumann himself even states a minimum distance of only 0.75 cm, so you can even use these beauties as PC speakers if there is no other way.
Just read the very well written manual: https://en-de.neumann.com/file-finde...egory=monitors
Also this test: https://en-de.neumann.com/product_files/1719/download
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
The Neumann KH310s are excellent near-field monitors and require absolutely no large room. Due to their closed construction, they are very insensitive to alignment. Furthermore, they have been specially designed for a wide spot (classic mixing console speakers) in horizontal orientation.
Neumann himself even states a minimum distance of only 0.75 cm, so you can even use these beauties as PC speakers if there is no other way.
Just read the very well written manual: https://en-de.neumann.com/file-finde...egory=monitors
Also this test: https://en-de.neumann.com/product_files/1719/download
Thanks for this helpful info
Old 18th January 2020
I have a typical medium size room with the KH 310s (kind of an average living room size, if that makes sense...) and the stereo imaging is excellent. You feel that you can almost touch the instruments in a good mix. Front to back imaging is also great. You definitely don’t need a large room. But pay attention to proper acoustic treatment, especially to bass traps - they go really low and can excite a lightly or untreated room quite heavily (had the pleasure to try them in a “naked” room before setting up my studio). Great monitors, you won’t regret getting them!
📝 Reply