The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good Mic for 00 size acoustic guitar.
Old 2 weeks ago
AB3
Lives for gear

PiedPiper - you could be write about the OP not wanting a wider cardioid. It is hard to give advice to someone else without them experimenting. Sure - if you do not want a room - going narrow in the pickup pattern helps. Getting too narrow may also not be great. So, I assume the OP can deduce all the statements and make some judgement calls. But, ultimately, getting equipment in your own place and actually using it, is the best way to know. I think most people here are just trying to help.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
But he said he wanted just the guitar and not the room. If I'm remembering correctly, he didn't even want left hand noises or other stereo elements. Again, many of all the great suggestions were based on other people's own agendas, not his. I'll let him correct me if I'm wrong.
Not quite sure what you mean by "Again, many of all the great suggestions were based on other people's own agendas, not his.". I don't think anyone had an "agenda". Maybe you should re-read the entirely of this thread and you may see how the OP has presented quite a variety of thoughts and situations, and those who've responded have been trying to provide a wide variety of information for consideration, based upon their own range of experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
PiedPiper - you could be write about the OP not wanting a wider cardioid. It is hard to give advice to someone else without them experimenting. Sure - if you do not want a room - going narrow in the pickup pattern helps. Getting too narrow may also not be great. So, I assume the OP can deduce all the statements and make some judgement calls. But, ultimately, getting equipment in your own place and actually using it, is the best way to know. I think most people here are just trying to help.
The OP was/is considering a wide cardioid; there was a lot of discussion about the Schoeps MK21. He was also getting input on cardioids, hyper cardioids, and omnis.

At this time the OP has ordered an extremely nice interface and several 'value priced' mics to experiment with (mono or stereo recording, cardioid and omni polar patterns, micing setup/techniques, recording space/room, etc). Sounds like he will get some first hand experience in order to be better informed on possible future choices.
Old 2 weeks ago
AB3
Lives for gear

Great news! Maybe we will get a report back from the OP!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wasn't casting aspersions on all the great input. I was just pointing out that everyone has what turns them on, and regardless of where he ended up getting led, he did state some priorities early on that looked to me like it got glossed over a bit at times, so I was bringing the focus back to that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
On the recording you mentioned the mics were back around 18". What was the spacing between the mics? The reason I'm asking is because you said you panned the channels at about 70; have you ever tried panning hard left and hard right and setting the distance between the mics to adjust/establish the width of the stereo field?
This clip is with the Gefell 295 mics as close together as I get them on my space bar. The centers of capsules are about 3” apart, the mics are aimed at the 12th fret, and are about a foot or so away. They are hard panned left and right all the way. Chain is into my Daking micpre II with HPF around 100. No other eq or reverb. I am really pleased with how my room is sounding here too. All that treatment you guys talked me into is paying off. Still using the CEO 9.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18KH...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by gwlee7; 2 weeks ago at 02:13 AM.. Reason: Sometimes, I forget words
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
This clip is with the Gefell 295 mics as close together as I get them on my space bar. The centers of capsules are about 3” apart, the mics are aimed at the 12th fret, and are about a foot or so away. They are hard panned left and right all the way. Chain is into my Daking micpre II with HPF around 100. No other eq or reverb. I am really pleased with how my room is sounding here too. All that treatment you guys talked me into is paying off. Still using the CEO 9.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18KH...w?usp=drivesdk
You've captured a really nice sound. I'm assuming both mics were somewhere in the vicinity of the neck/body join on this last recording? I also re-listened to your earlier recording. Differing setups can change things, but it's all a matter of taste.

I tend to prefer more width in the stereo field. Wondering if you'd might want to try backing off the mics to around 18" from the guitar (like you did in your earlier recording), and spacing them around 14" apart; one pointed toward the neck/body join and one pointed toward the bridge. Panned hard left and hard right. If you do move the mics back you might want to lower the HPF to 50-60.

I'd imagine you're having fun with this new gear. Seems like you made a great choice in mics.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You've captured a really nice sound. I'm assuming both mics were somewhere in the vicinity of the neck/body join on this last recording? I also re-listened to your earlier recording. Differing setups can change things, but it's all a matter of taste.

I tend to prefer more width in the stereo field. Wondering if you'd might want to try backing off the mics to around 18" from the guitar (like you did in your earlier recording), and spacing them around 14" apart; one pointed toward the neck/body join and one pointed toward the bridge. Panned hard left and hard right. If you do move the mics back you might want to lower the HPF to 50-60.

I'd imagine you're having fun with this new gear. Seems like you made a great choice in mics.
Left preamp, HPF and distance same. Only difference is mics are now as far apart on space bar as I can get them. Still hard panned left and right with no processing other than high pass.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sg7...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Left preamp, HPF and distance same. Only difference is mics are now as far apart on space bar as I can get them. Still hard panned left and right with no processing other than high pass.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sg7...w?usp=drivesdk
I'm not so sure your wav file got rendered as you expected. When I was listening I wasn't hearing a stereo image. I imported your wav file into my daw and it seems that both left and right channels have the same recording. Could somehow your two separate recording tracks gotten mixed together, or maybe only one of your tracks got rendered? (To me it sounds like both mic tracks got included in the rendered wav file but it seems to be in mono.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm not so sure your wav file got rendered as you expected. When I was listening I wasn't hearing a stereo image. I imported your wav file into my daw and it seems that both left and right channels have the same recording. Could somehow your two separate recording tracks gotten mixed together, or maybe only one of your tracks got rendered? (To me it sounds like both mic tracks got included in the rendered wav file but it seems to be in mono.)
There is a good chance it’s some sort of user error. I will fix it and repost it in a bit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I had clicked something weird in Uad’s console

More better this time maybe

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ePv...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Now you've got a stereo recording. Now it's a matter of taste (how much do you want to record specific areas of the guitar and what do you want for width of the stereo field). How's it sound to you?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Now you've got a stereo recording. Now it's a matter of taste. How's it sound to you?
It sounds like a mediocre guitar player bought some really nice mics.

Seriously, none of them sound bad. I think the fingerpicking sounds the best in this last recording. I need to experiment more with strumming set ups. For a sparsely mixed singer songwriter type situation, I would definitely use this last way.

Regardless, I don’t need to look any further in terms of acoustic guitar mics.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I actually prefer the 1. (close miked @12") to the spaced miked @ what sounds like a farther distance. Through my headphones the 1st recording image sounds more centred, while the 2nd one's image sounds off centre to the right. Not sure why that is. Also on the wide spaced recording the fretboard / string / finger sounds are in the left channel rather than the right, where it should be, as perceived by an observer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I personally try to avoid the sound of the fretboard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search