The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
audio interface with two inputs high end ?
Old 2nd January 2020
audio interface with two inputs high end ?

Happy New Year to my fellow gearslutz !!!
I have a small home studio just for my music, no clients.
I am starting to get back to recording and wondered if any high end audio interfaces existed with only two inputs ?
i need an integrated interface with a preamp in the same unit.
I am in the process of getting an apogee element 24, i had the ensemble thunderbolt but didn't need that many inputs.
Ive always had apogee but i open to other suggestions ?
Since i only need a few inputs, it might be hard to find such a high end unit with so few in's and out's ?
Old 2nd January 2020
Prism Lyra comes to mind first.

The RME Babyface Pro isn't exactly High End but is certainly no slouch.
Old 2nd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Prism Lyra comes to mind first.

The RME Babyface Pro isn't exactly High End but is certainly no slouch.
wow the prism looks great and i know that name to be one of the best for conversion.
I appreciate this thank you.
So its safe to assume that this Prism blows away anything RME has created, and I'm sure apogee ?
Old 2nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Metric halo uln2 would be another choice
Old 2nd January 2020
Interesting, the prism specs are
THD+N -111dB (0.00028%, -0.1dBFS)
Dynamic Range 116dB (-60dBFS)

Apogee element 24 specs
Rel. THD + N: -110dB
Dyn. Range: 119dB (A-weighted)

I know numbers are numbers and my ears probably can't tell the difference, but thats a huge difference in money from one another ?
Prism used $1200-1500
apogee eminent 24 used $400
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

The Specs don't tell the story....
The Lyra sounds truly great (mic Pre included)
a cut above the apogee sonically...
Old 2nd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
The Specs don't tell the story....
The Lyra sounds truly great (mic Pre included)
a cut above the apogee sonically...
that is exactly what i was thinking :-)
would you say its a cut above the symphony also ? or on par
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Merging Anubis: 4 inputs; quality beyond most everything else made....
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

The Lyra is above any Apogee subjectively .....
Would love to hear the Merging.
Old 3rd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
Merging Anubis: 4 inputs; quality beyond most everything else made....
Wow merging anubis looks amazing, haven't hear of them
Old 4th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Take a look at the JoeCo Cello.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

I’d say that you should consider other aspects when buying an audio interface with integrated preamps.

These are latency, drivers/stability, “futureproofness” and what type of workflow you do want.

RME are really king in several of these and they sound pretty good, although personally I might prefer other stuff, if you can’t cut a record with a new rme interface, the problem is not the interface.
That said, xformers, class A transistors and tubes and hw compressors gives you a different type of signal.

Metric Halo and their 3D card should be considered, especially the ULN-8 (or closer to your request is the LIO-8 with 4 preamps option.

The Apogee sounds very good ime, I’m speaking about the Symphony MK2, they also do have preamps card although are 8 channels. I do have one for sale without the pres, you could always add the card in the first slot, of course. Their soft limiters could be setted per channel from the touchscreen and for some things are very nice ime. Very stable interface (and they do have some good plugs as well).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post

RME are really king
Actually many RME units sound quite bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Reese View Post
So its safe to assume that this Prism blows away anything RME has created, and I'm sure apogee ?
Yes pretty much safe to say.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

My Apollo Twin mk2 blew my expensive Apogee out of the water (DA)

Can’t speak for the preamps as I have a silver bullet
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post

Can you at least try to read the few sentences above and below before commenting pls.. ?

I know it might be a lot asking this to you.. but at least give it a try.

RME IS KING in drivers and their interfaces last an incredible long time, speaking decades.
Prism is not even close to any latency that rme has on their interface and for sure not even remotely close to their stability regarding drivers (and updating them) for both pc and macs.

If you continue reading my post above you probably noticed that I made a comment on their sound as well.

Cheu
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

“audio interface with two inputs high end?”
1. Prism Lyra - very high end conversion

2. UAD - can use cool plugins on the inputs

3. RME - sounds great too.

4. Apogee Symphony - new 2x6 card has amazing conversion, but may be overkill.

On Mac Core Audio never had issues with any drivers for any interface including Lynx, Prism, RME, UAD, Apogee, MOTU, etc. Most have hardware low latency monitoring. Any latency also dealt with in DAW.

All in all there are several great options. Since it’s just your music, and maybe only vocal and guitar, I’d look at the new UAD units. Being able to put their plugins on the inputs, and use their plugins for mixing is a great deal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

RMEs are super stable and sound fantastic. The company is also famous for supporting their products for decades, so it is definitely a purchase for long years to come.

Those who say that RMEs sound bad have absolutely zero clue what they are talking about. I accept that some of the interfaces introduced mid/late-2000 were not that good, but all mid-priced converters sounded not overly good during that era in general, but all the recent RME converters are solid and super transparent, while their top of the line units are among the best on the market. The difference among RME's contenders is pure subtleties and coloration which you can like or not.

If you need just two channels, take a look at RME ADI-2 Pro FS. Given the specs and its price, it is one of the best converters on the market.
Here are some real measurements in comparison of the non-FS version (it is a previous one, ADI-2 Pro, before they introduced ADI-2 Pro FS) with Lynx Hilo:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...c-part-2.3596/
Another test against the mentioned interfaces, including Lyra, is as follows: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/v...=619263&hilit=

The interfaces mentioned in this thread are great too, match them with your budget and pick up what you like, you can't go wrong with any of them. I double message of cheu78 that stability is one of the key decision factors, which you should keep in mind, and RME is definitely the king there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yep do yourself a favour and try the RME ADI-2 Pro. It's an amazing converter, the line inputs are impeccable and if you want color just add any flavour pre du jour.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Just got my Merging Anubis! such an amazing device. Build quality is top notch and the converters are unmatched for this price range. The converters are supposedly a touch better then the hapi/Horus but it cost less then the RME. I don’t see anything that the rme has that the Anubis doesn’t do better. Plus the list of features that the Anubis has that it’s competitors don’t. Seems like a no brainer
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujigiridubs View Post
Just got my Merging Anubis! such an amazing device. Build quality is top notch and the converters are unmatched for this price range. The converters are supposedly a touch better then the hapi/Horus but it cost less then the RME. I don’t see anything that the rme has that the Anubis doesn’t do better. Plus the list of features that the Anubis has that it’s competitors don’t. Seems like a no brainer
mmm.. soundwise I agree..
But drivers/latency/stability?..

Not saying Merging is bad (at all, it’s a great, high quality company) but on the drivers side rme has the crown imho.

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Not saying Merging is bad (at all, it’s a great, high quality company) but on the drivers side rme has the crown imho.

Cheu

Sure RME might be easier to use for the general consumer. Plug and play is nice. But it took me all of 5 minutes to route windows audio to the Anubis with VB Hi-Fi Cable-ASIO Bridge. Which merging recommend on there lengthy list of tutorial. Haven’t had any stability issues with Aneman, had to read and learn the software but the possibilities you can do with that software will bake your noodle. I will hardly use any of the networking features. But I’d much rather take the time and learn some software to be able to use top tier converters. Then have something that I can just plug in and sound “ok”.

Some like tried and true gear and others like to be on the cutting edge of new designs. Each to their own!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Funny, I didn't know that those who prefer having reliable hardware, robust drivers and lowest latencies on the market are called "general consumers" now :D

I have chosen the path of building my system based on RME UFX-Plus in order to enjoy these benefits with the ultimate flexibility with TotalMix. With that, there are no issues with plugging in any external converter through digital inputs/outputs and avoid "lengthy list of tutorials" or any sort of surprises typical to poor quality drivers/software from the most vendors out there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily111 View Post
Funny, I didn't know that those who prefer having reliable hardware, robust drivers and lowest latencies on the market are called "general consumers" now :D

I have chosen the path of building my system based on RME UFX-Plus in order to enjoy these benefits with the ultimate flexibility with TotalMix. With that, there are no issues with plugging in any external converter through digital inputs/outputs and avoid "lengthy list of tutorials" or any sort of surprises typical to poor quality drivers/software from the most vendors out there.
It’s not hard to find people saying stay away from RME when the term “high end conversion” starts getting thrown around. If you took some time to look into the the possibilities of Aneman and Revenna networking you would see what real flexibility is! Truly amazing stuff. And we all spent thousands of hours recording and making music; won’t kill ya to watch a few tutorials videos. It’s pretty funny hearing “poor quality” being used when you clearly have no knowledge about the Anubis, Ameman, Revenna networking, etc.

Only reason I pitched my 2c is because everyone is saying go with RME pro fs. Which already cost more then the Anubis. And you get a lot less all around. Your UFX plus is easily $1000 more then the Anubis. And doesn’t even fit what the op is looking for? I just don’t think these so called “amazing drivers” balance out the cost and loss of features
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post

That's what I would have said until a year ago. We have a couple of Prisms... So I really can compare.... Since about 10 months we have the RME M 32 AD pro (the new AVB device) and it sounds just fantastic (a little different than the Prism but for sure not worse). Recently I got a RME ADI 2 - DAC (version 2) mostly for headphone monitoring. This thing sounds just amazing...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Cheu
Well I didn't try the Anubis but the Horus. Even though it was great I thought that the combination of Millennia HV3 / RME M 32 AD pro was outperforming the Horus. But anyways this is a really high level and I guess it's a matter of taste. What is not a matter of tase is the drivers and flexibility of the RME products. It's so easy to setup a backup recording system. The MADI and AVB impmentation is just great and total mix works exceptionally well...
Old 4 weeks ago
... and another one
Watt is really nice about the Prism Oprheus (but I guess about the new ones as well) is how it reacts on overdriving it. Most interfaces sound really quick really bad on this. This is especially nice for mastering engineers. But I doubt that this is the typical scenario...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujigiridubs View Post
It’s not hard to find people saying stay away from RME when the term “high end conversion” starts getting thrown around. If you took some time to look into the the possibilities of Aneman and Revenna networking you would see what real flexibility is! Truly amazing stuff. And we all spent thousands of hours recording and making music; won’t kill ya to watch a few tutorials videos. It’s pretty funny hearing “poor quality” being used when you clearly have no knowledge about the Anubis, Ameman, Revenna networking, etc.
Mate, I am not trying to be a dick here, and I confirm that I have limited knowledge about audio networking connectivity beyond regular USB/Thunderbolt and old AES/EBU, MADI etc standards, so probably the top networking interfaces have another level of flexibility. What I am trying to say, that if we are talking about a regular application, when you don't need that level of complexity, then RME is the best choice when it comes to the drivers/software. Even in this forum with a myriad of different opinions, I believe it is a general consensus among the public, which is a rare thing Check out also amazing thread by TAFKAT, where RME is constantly taking first places when it comes to latency for both USB and Thunderbolt.

Regarding folks saying sh1t about recent RME conversion, I don't want to even comment that, because they are either deaf or just have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I doubt any claim like that would survive any double-blind test or more or less scientific analysis. Many of them simply mess "favorable coloration" with word "better", while RME is utterly transparent.
Btw, I've just recently came across the following post, and tested my ears trying to find the difference between the UFXplus and Prism Atlas. Check out yourself, and maybe you can hear what I can't:
Prism Sound Atlas VS RME UFX+ SHOOTOUT
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily111 View Post
Mate, I am not trying to be a dick here, and I confirm that I have limited knowledge about audio networking connectivity beyond regular USB/Thunderbolt and old AES/EBU, MADI etc standards, so probably the top networking interfaces have another level of flexibility. What I am trying to say, that if we are talking about a regular application, when you don't need that level of complexity, then RME is the best choice when it comes to the drivers/software. Even in this forum with a myriad of different opinions, I believe it is a general consensus among the public, which is a rare thing Check out also amazing thread by TAFKAT, where RME is constantly taking first places when it comes to latency for both USB and Thunderbolt.

Regarding folks saying sh1t about recent RME conversion, I don't want to even comment that, because they are either deaf or just have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I doubt any claim like that would survive any double-blind test or more or less scientific analysis. Many of them simply mess "favorable coloration" with word "better", while RME is utterly transparent.
Btw, I've just recently came across the following post, and tested my ears trying to find the difference between the UFXplus and Prism Atlas. Check out yourself, and maybe you can hear what I can't:
Prism Sound Atlas VS RME UFX+ SHOOTOUT

You might not need that level of flexibility today. But it doesn’t hurt moving forward with technology and future proofing your set up. I’m don’t feel like going any further into the conversion thing but if the rme conversion is as good as it gets why do all these higher end products exist? Are the people designing them deaf? Are you saying it’s all snake oil? Everyone who reviews these products and usually come to the same consensus are also deaf? Most people’s ears are not trained enough to hear the difference in one round trip through the converters. But when you are doing several round trips per track with analog processing. On 40 different tracks, then on your groups, busses, and master. The differences will be more apparent. So I guess it all depends on how much you value the conversion stage and how many times you will be going in and out of your daw.

All of this aside. Just having these two devices side by side. They don’t look like they should cost the same. The build, appearance, and control the the Anubis has is like comparing a Nokia to a Smart Phone. There are lots of things to consider, the op just needs to take time and look into all options. There are pros and cons for both sides! Rme makes great products, just nothing ground breaking IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Never mind

Last edited by warlordpriest; 4 weeks ago at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Off topic
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Metric Halo ULN-2 3d.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search