The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adding more color to my mix buss
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
HRK's website has many different audio files of each colour card at work per colour card page if you scroll down. LTL has examples on their site and DYIRE's are all on their youtube channel.

Most of these cards range from subtle color to outright sonic mayhem if driven using the drive knob, I keep most of mine down low as too much color comes fast. The real power is when you chain them and they then can become something special and original. I've found myself slowly finding different chains that work best for different things. All in all I like a transformer card, followed by a filter or EQ card, followed by a tape or tube card, followed by a console colour card on my 544's.

For the low cost it's a bang for the buck sonic playground IMHO....... jump in and have fun.

Ok Im trying to figure it out.

So say if I buy the unit like the C544 | Analog Saturation Colour Processor...

Then buy 4 of the color modules. When they are shipped to me do I then have to assemble them into the device or does it come already assembled? if I do have to assemble them is it easy?

Thanks for the info!!
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGOD_OFFICIAL View Post

Then buy 4 of the color modules. When they are shipped to me do I then have to assemble them into the device or does it come already assembled? if I do have to assemble them is it easy?

Thanks for the info!!
LTL's are all assembled but all the other companies offer both options. I get mine assembled and then pop them in and get working.
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sold on the 542s.

For the pre-amp, not sure which is best to go with: RND 511, MA5, B1D or Chroma. Have you had the chance to compare the MA5 to any of these?
I own a pair of RND 511s and while I really like them for tracking, but I think they sound sloppy with line level material.

BAE 1272 would be a better color or any real 1272. Or API anything.
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sold on the 542s.

For the pre-amp, not sure which is best to go with: RND 511, MA5, B1D or Chroma. Have you had the chance to compare the MA5 to any of these?
Did you end up getting some 542’s? Would be keen to get your thoughts.

I haven’t compared those preamps, but I’ve used the MA5 and the Chroma (Chroma just once) - I will day the MA5 sounds gorgeous, as does the Chroma. However, the Chroma has features that make it more flexible during recording or mixing that are really killer. A pair of Chromas is on my list for 2020..
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for the info!!
I purchased 2 units with 3 cards each and installed them myself. It was very easy. You wont't have a problem.
When I purchased 2 LTL chromas, they both came with the plugins assembled.
What Will said was key. A little goes a long way. I have the solid state, discrete saturation and 80's tape driver modules in my HRK's. The saturation is ridiculous. So much gain and denseness. Best bang for the buck!!
Old 12th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I purchased 2 units with 3 cards each and installed them myself. It was very easy. You wont't have a problem.
When I purchased 2 LTL chromas, they both came with the plugins assembled.
What Will said was key. A little goes a long way. I have the solid state, discrete saturation and 80's tape driver modules in my HRK's. The saturation is ridiculous. So much gain and denseness. Best bang for the buck!!

I just pulled the plug and bought two C572 | Parallel Saturation Colour Processors
I also bought 3 modules for each one:

The LF Harmonic MAXimizer Colour Module
The Air Harmonic EXciter Colour Module
and The 80'S Tape Driver

Im going to put these on the end of my drum bus, after the compressor. That 80's tape driver sounds great on drums and the other two modules are made to go together.

I already have the 542's on my mixbus... Thanks for the info on these!!!
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just pulled the plug and bought two C572 | Parallel Saturation Colour Processors
I also bought 3 modules for each one:

The LF Harmonic MAXimizer Colour Module
The Air Harmonic EXciter Colour Module
and The 80'S Tape Driver

Im going to put these on the end of my drum bus, after the compressor. That 80's tape driver sounds great on drums and the other two modules are made to go together.

I already have the 542's on my mixbus... Thanks for the info on these!!!
I've got a bunch of top notch gear and IMHO these colour series cards are a quiet little secret worth so much more than their cost..... enjoy using them.
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLarkin View Post
Did you end up getting some 542’s? Would be keen to get your thoughts.

I haven’t compared those preamps, but I’ve used the MA5 and the Chroma (Chroma just once) - I will day the MA5 sounds gorgeous, as does the Chroma. However, the Chroma has features that make it more flexible during recording or mixing that are really killer. A pair of Chromas is on my list for 2020..
Didn’t get them yet, but plan to very soon. Also getting the Chroma. I will report back when I do.
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got a bunch of top notch gear and IMHO these colour series cards are a quiet little secret worth so much more than their cost..... enjoy using them.
I really want to love this stuff, but some of it is disappointing. For example, in the audio examples of the DIYRE 15IPS Tape Saturation I can clearing hear the LF dropped off the more it gets applied. I have to check out the HRK modules. Is that stuff available in the US?
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really want to love this stuff, but some of it is disappointing. For example, in the audio examples of the DIYRE 15IPS Tape Saturation I can clearing hear the LF dropped off the more it gets applied. I have to check out the HRK modules. Is that stuff available in the US?
HRK ships to the US. For some the 15IPS is fantastic just how it is..... depends on your needs.
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just purchased them and I’m in the US. I think right now there’s an additional 10% discount.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Mine came in this morning. I like them, I have them dialed in just enough so that it puts a nice subtle crunch on the drums using the 80's Tape drive. The other two color modules I got sound ok but Ill just leave them turned off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search