The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Unknown tube in U67
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Thanks for I’m the info Steven...after reading PaulG’s post I was going to get a Telefunken for my 67RI. Paul did you find the Telefunken made your mic more sibilant than the stock tube?

Was planning to install NOS on my 67RI and LA2A reissue; perhaps there’s a combination of tubes in both the 67 and LA2A that work really well together. Any thoughts?
The EF806S Tele tube I bought 4 of from Germany sounds far smoother than the stock tube. It's so quiet and the mid range is so forward and delightful. There is no noticeable nastiness in the top end at all, so it's strange we should have such differing results. I tried the mic with a variety of pre-amps, solid state and tube.

The Amperex Bugle Boy's were wonderful too but were a touch noisier. They also sounded better than stock though.

Both my microphones matched by easily ear so I don't believe I have any capsule problems. I wonder if the U.S. batch differed to the European in any way?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The EF806S Tele tube I bought 4 of from Germany sounds far smoother than the stock tube. It's so quiet and the mid range is so forward and delightful. There is no noticeable nastiness in the top end at all, so it's strange we should have such differing results. I tried the mic with a variety of pre-amps, solid state and tube.

The Amperex Bugle Boy's were wonderful too but were a touch noisier. They also sounded better than stock though.

Both my microphones matched by easily ear so I don't believe I have any capsule problems. I wonder if the U.S. batch differed to the European in any way?
Thanks Paul; did you compare the EF806 to an EF86? Any thoughts on the differences? Also looking to install NOS in my LA2A RI, which I use with the 67RI and was wondering if you've found certain 12ax7 in your preamps or compressors goes well with the telefunken in the 67. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Thanks Paul; did you compare the EF806 to an EF86? Any thoughts on the differences? Also looking to install NOS in my LA2A RI, which I use with the 67RI and was wondering if you've found certain 12ax7 in your preamps or compressors goes well with the telefunken in the 67. Thanks!
Yes I have both by many brands but I just stuck with the Tele EF806S.

I'm afraid I haven't experimented with your situation but I generally use a 5751 in place of a 12ax7 in microphones.
This is a useful site:
http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search