The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For modern vocals, how would you compare Sony c800g vs. Neumann m149?
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear
For modern vocals, how would you compare Sony c800g vs. Neumann m149?

If you had to describe the differences in sonic signature between the two what would it be?

Also any modern pop songs you know of that the m149 was used on vocals for reference? Preferably within a dense mix.
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
If you had to describe the differences in sonic signature between the two what would it be?
C800G=Bright. I pair it with a specific V76M that’s out of spec but for whatever reason it’s magic with that mic. Don’t like it with any other pre.
M149=Not too hyped, balanced sound with nice midrange. Sounds sweet through any pre It will never take your breath away or wow you but it’s much more flexible than the Sony. If I had to have one it would be the M149. But when the Sony is right, it’s jaw-dropping good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
C800G=Bright. I pair it with a specific V76M that’s out of spec but for whatever reason it’s magic with that mic. Don’t like it with any other pre.
M149=Not too hyped, balanced sound with nice midrange. Sounds sweet through any pre It will never take your breath away or wow you but it’s much more flexible than the Sony. If I had to have one it would be the M149. But when the Sony is right, it’s jaw-dropping good.
Any idea how long the tubes last on the m149?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The M149 is a great microphone, good resolution, a bit hard in the upper midrange, definately more forgiving to use then the Sony. It can be a bit aggressive with the wrong singer.

BUT..

The C800 is in another leauge, I recommended M149’s as a ”budget alternative” to a hip hop band and after a few years they sold the pair they had and bought a pair of C800’s and it made an instant quality improvement. Hard to use in the beginning since you don’t get much for free, no uppermid distortion or obvious compression. For hiphop/Rnb/modern pop I think it is a obvious step up from a M149. I honestly think so no matter the style
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Any idea how long the tubes last on the m149?
I used various M149’s that never changed tubes, sounded the same to me. My guess is that you don’t have to change tubes in many years even with a frequently used M149.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Andreas grosser mod, he changed the PSU and cable made a noticable difference for the better I think. A bit expensive but if you have a M149 that you never use..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffo View Post
I used various M149’s that never changed tubes, sounded the same to me. My guess is that you don’t have to change tubes in many years even with a frequently used M149.
Good to know. Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Krush, IMHO the AA version of the Sony C800G is extremely close. (not kidding!)
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Krush, IMHO the AA version of the Sony C800G is extremely close. (not kidding!)
Chris
"Version" or attempt to imitate?
Have you compared these 2 mics?
And not what anyone else (so-called authorities or vendors) says about all these new "clones" (really imitations) that have popped up (Looked at the GAP thread & counted the following 7):
AA, ADK, Barbaric, FAR, GAP, JJ, Stam

Last edited by aremos; 1 week ago at 04:53 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oKpkjLLorQ

I think the AEA, Neve (of course) and surprisingly an Apollo preamp sound pretty good here with the M149.

Overall the Neumann sounds a bit compressed but ready for the mix.

The Sony has a more open sound. Clarity.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
"Version" or attempt to imitate?
Have you compared these 2 mics?
And not what anyone else (so-called authorities or vendors) says about all these new "clones" (really imitations) that have popped up (Looked at the GAP thread & counted the following 7):
AA, ADK, Barbaric, FAR, GAP, JJ, Stam
I’m not so sure I get your complete point. I mean I understand you are asking a question, if he’s compared the two mics to each other himself, but in addition to that, it’s coming across as something more than that. On the surface, it seems you’re trying to argue semantics, but maybe it’s more than that really? Seeking clarity.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Keep reading a lot of these "clones" are up to par & sound like the C-800G. Counted 7 different models of these imitations in 1 thread. Yet from their statements, or descriptions, it doesn't sound like they've ever used the Sony.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Good points (as always) Aremos.

IMHO best listening source for AA/Sony comparison so far...

Were the files Paul G. put up a while back.
Personally my direct experience is limited to singing/trying, the GAP version.
I thought it sounded great! (for me)

My only concern (other than GAP price) is whether...

It can have enough Sony "sparkle",
so a Rap/Hip Hop/Modern Pop/R&B contemporary person, can get it close enough.
Chris
P.S. AA version, may well be my 2021 gift to
myself. Post California lockdown.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Keep reading a lot of these "clones" are up to par & sound like the C-800G. Counted 7 different models of these imitations in 1 thread. Yet from their statements, or descriptions, it doesn't sound like they've ever used the Sony.
I see. You may be right. Personally though, I could absolutely care less if any of them sound like an original or not. Granted, this is an 800G vs M149 thread though. Still, I think Chris was offering up an already known and well-respected, reasonably-priced alternative.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Describe the differences... Butter vs cream? Kona vs arabica?
Words probably are not going to give you a useful comparison, or not one off which I would commit the required money.
Napoleon committed to marrying Marie of Austria after seeing only a small painting of her. It didn’t really work out. We have better options now. You can probably audition these mics somewhere if you have the means to buy them. It’s really a silly thread.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey, but if you end up getting a DESSERT named after you-let alone ice cream. Doesn't that really matter the most?

Like Napolean ("Dynamite" to his closest confidants) himself, or that other great Frenchmen... None other than the brilliant "Avantone-Guarde" Film Dictator, Francois Truffle. No trifling matter!

Silly you say? (cue sound effect of glove slapping face-Ouch!) We hereby challenge you good Sir, to a dual of wits +- 3db.
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
My dueling pistols are in Italy, where they were supposed to be balanced and re-grooved... but the gunsmith stopped answering my emails last week.
I wonder if my dueling days are over.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly, but didn’t you try to start this up with Paul in the other thread and he pointed out that you couldn’t even pick the Sony out even though you know them so well, and didn’t you yourself choose the AA over the Sony in the blind test? Like I get it, it sucks when you spend big bread for something and the sound gets replicated for significantly less, but come on man, let’s not do that. Let’s not sit here and try to discount people’s experiences and even documented shootouts just because we don’t want to admit that the impossible has been accomplished. Years ago, no one thought the Sony sound would ever be able to be reproduced and it’s been done to the point that people can’t pick it out like they could with the Manley. Can we just accept that fact and move on instead of trying to bring this argument back up anytime someone mentions the AA?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey LuisV, what I do remember well are all your PM's to me about deciding between the TeleFunken 251 & the C-800G. Glad you found what you were seeking for in the AA.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sometimes understanding the fine points of very good vs. excellent vs. exceptional microphones...
Takes more experienced judgement than mine. Particularly judging in the context of the Mix.
I always take Aremos' viewpoint very seriously, and factor it in.
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search