The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve vs SSL
Old 7th December 2019
  #1
Gear Head
 

Neve vs SSL

Hi everyone,
I'm at the point where I have to go on a large analog console.
I am lucky to have a budget of 50000 euros, but I have a hard time deciding between a 4000g SSL and a Neve VR.
I have some experience on SSL but my experience with the Neve is very limited so I have a lot of questions about it:
1 \ First, is it a split or an in-line
For example if I have 48 tracks coming out of Pro Tools how many tracks will they occupy on the console.
2 \ For rooting I know that SSL has a better matrix but I think that the Neve sounds better even if it is far from an old 80 series, so what is more important.
3 \ Finally I know that there is a very good replacement of the automation of the 4000g, the THD Labs for those who might be interested, which allows you to control the console through the DAW. Is there an equivalent on for VR.
Thank you in advance for those who will take the time to answer.
PS: Sorry for mistakes or wrongful uses of words I don't speak english very well.
Old 7th December 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
Track on the Neve, mix on the SSL. What are you going to use it for more?

It really comes down to how you like your EQ to work. Do you like the EQ emulations of a Neve or SSL?
Old 7th December 2019
  #3
Gear Head
 

I'm gonna to use it more for mixing, and I love the sond of ssl EQs.
The only one problem is that I'm not a fan of SSL Pres
Old 7th December 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Track on the Neve, mix on the SSL. What are you going to use it for more?
Do you like the EQ emulations of a Neve or SSL?
Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcef View Post
I'm gonna to use it more for mixing, and I love the sond of ssl EQs.
Done!

R.
Old 7th December 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcef View Post
I'm gonna to use it more for mixing, and I love the sond of ssl EQs.
The only one problem is that I'm not a fan of SSL Pres
Unless you really want to have an SSL room, for client needs..
I'd seriously consider a Daking MK2 instead.. Great pres, great eq's compressor on every channel, incredible routing, clever monitoring options and functions..
It's designed to be serviced with ease, and only this is already worth ditching the other 2 options imho..

There are several videos and some posts here on GS.. Check it out..



Cheu
Old 7th December 2019
  #6
Gear Head
 

Honestly, never heared about this desk.
It's like a reproduction of the API 2448.
And for the automation... how does it works ?
Old 7th December 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

I was considering a VR but read bad things about it. It runs really hot and needs constant service. I went with a D&R. It’s like a poor man’s SSL except the automation speaks midi, no need to be strapped to an ancient computer. The downside is no EQ recall. D&R are based in the Netherlands so they should be more common in Europe than the US, but that’s just a guess.
Old 7th December 2019
  #8
Gear Head
 

Are the EQs as good as an old SSL 4000 ?
I would say no but I think the price isn't the same at all.
As you can see through my English null, I'm not American but Belgian so it's great they are based in Netherlands.
Old 7th December 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcef View Post
Honestly, never heared about this desk.
It's like a reproduction of the API 2448.
And for the automation... how does it works ?
Time to discover something new for you
Daking is a well established brand..

It's not a "reproduction" of an api, it took the lineage from the Trident A range, as far as I know (at least from a preamp/eq perspective..)
I believe the compressors and routing are entirely Daking made, design wise speaking.

Do a search here on GS, here's GS member Skip Burrows writing a review:
The DAKING MKII Review: By Skip Burrows

Here's their website, if you scroll down you find a lot of youtube videos where they explain everything in details:
http://www.daking.com/daking-console/

I'm not related with this company, but it's probably where I'd put my money if I had that kind of $$ and mixing (and/or tracking) needs.
This is very cleverly designed and a lot of the old daking vertical modules are praised more than the neve counterpart by a lot of talented and successful engineers fwiw.

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Old 7th December 2019
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
grouphome's Avatar
I saw those new PSU's for 4000 series consoles. Looking promising.
Also new computer options.

I'd say get a 4k and get some neve channels to track through
Old 7th December 2019
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Time to discover something new for you
Daking is a well established brand..

It's not a "reproduction" of an api, it took the lineage from the Trident A range, as far as I know (at least from a preamp/eq perspective..)
I believe the compressors and routing are entirely Daking made, design wise speaking.

Do a search here on GS, here's GS member Skip Burrows writing a review:
The DAKING MKII Review: By Skip Burrows

Here's their website, if you scroll down you find a lot of youtube videos where they explain everything in details:
http://www.daking.com/daking-console/

I'm not related with this company, but it's probably where I'd put my money if I had that kind of $$ and mixing (and/or tracking) needs.
This is very cleverly designed and a lot of the old daking vertical modules are praised more than the neve counterpart by a lot of talented and successful engineers fwiw.

I hope this helps,



Cheu
I visited Daking's website, so the console is great but if it's at a similar price I do prefeare an old SSL 4000g with automation and PSU replacement and some Neve channels strips.
In any case thank you for your contribution.
Old 7th December 2019
  #12
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouphome View Post
I saw those new PSU's for 4000 series consoles. Looking promising.
Also new computer options.

I'd say get a 4k and get some neve channels to track through
Certainely the best thing to do.
Thanx.
Old 7th December 2019
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Getting a used VR at this point doesn't seem like a good idea unless it was fully reswitched and recapped by a competent team.

Running costs are very high.

An ssl might be easier to maintain.
Old 7th December 2019
  #14
Gear Nut
 
Digiplex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.frad View Post
Getting a used VR at this point doesn't seem like a good idea unless it was fully reswitched and recapped by a competent team.

Running costs are very high.

An ssl might be easier to maintain.
I second that! I’d love to have a Vr but the power bill alone would be extremely high and the cost to have it recapped. The Ssl wouldn’t be cheaper either unless you added an atomic power supply and a new computer.

If I had a 50k budget I’d be looking at a used Aws or maybe the Trident 88. The Daking would be about 100k for a 24 channel version last time I looked. So it’s not within your budget. Even the 16 channel one is 79k.
Old 8th December 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiplex View Post
If I had a 50k budget I’d be looking at a used Aws
this.
Old 8th December 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
If you want classic, I'd go 4000G. Logic tells me a used AWS948 would be a good choice though if you don't mind modern.
Old 8th December 2019
  #17
Gear Nut
 
Liquidaudio's Avatar
 

Belgian here (Anvers) I bought my 4000G from AES Pro Audio in the UK, They make cut down versions. I have a 16 channel without automation, planning to expand with more buckets, so I have a modular SSL as my budget grows over the years. Wish I could blow 50000 euros myself in one go!

If you want a Neve VR well that's their other speciality, they make 36 channel versions. Seems enough for me. They recap em clean em up, make them like new.

My SSL is like it's factory fresh, well at least on the inside, but I like a little wear.\

The SSL will give punch like nothing else, if you want the butter you get some Neve pres. It's the classic combo.
Old 8th December 2019
  #18
Gear Head
 

I found a 48 channel SSL 4000G selled with automation and PSU replacement under 50k, it's in great cosmetic condition and just need to fix some issiues on the ultimation faders
Old 8th December 2019
  #19
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
If you want classic, I'd go 4000G. Logic tells me a used AWS948 would be a good choice though if you don't mind modern.
SSL AWS 948 is a great value and has a very good daw integration, but I need more than 24 channels in-line. I can considere it for a smaller room.
Old 8th December 2019
  #20
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiplex View Post
I second that! I’d love to have a Vr but the power bill alone would be extremely high and the cost to have it recapped. The Ssl wouldn’t be cheaper either unless you added an atomic power supply and a new computer.

If I had a 50k budget I’d be looking at a used Aws or maybe the Trident 88. The Daking would be about 100k for a 24 channel version last time I looked. So it’s not within your budget. Even the 16 channel one is 79k.
100k for 24 channel version!!!
Old 8th December 2019
  #21
Gear Nut
 
Liquidaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcef View Post
Bonjour, tu sais pas comme c'est bon d'enfin pouvoir parler français sur ce site, sinon tu sais ou on peut trouver de bons préamlis Neve d'époque. Et on plus je me rends compte que j'ai poser la question alors que je pouvais déjà y répondre. La ssl consome moins, a une meilleure automation de très bons EQs, et la maintenance est plus facile.
Oui bien mais je suis Flamand, ma Francais es terrible!

If you want to find vintage Neve preamps, which to me sounds like a crazy idea because they make spot on remakes these days, I would check Vintage King or Funky Junk France perhaps.

Aurora Audio makes awesome 1073 clones, like racked preamps per 8 or EQ as a set of 8. You can mix and match. A lot cheaper than vintage Neve, maybe you can find some old Calrec preamps, they go for a lot less and sound fantastic, they hold their own against neve preamps.

Yes maintenance is easy on the SSL. I know a good technician here in Antwerp.
Old 8th December 2019
  #22
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
Oui bien mais je suis Flamand, ma Francais es terrible!

If you want to find vintage Neve preamps, which to me sounds like a crazy idea because they make spot on remakes these days, I would check Vintage King or Funky Junk France perhaps.

Aurora Audio makes awesome 1073 clones, like racked preamps per 8 or EQ as a set of 8. You can mix and match. A lot cheaper than vintage Neve, maybe you can find some old Calrec preamps, they go for a lot less and sound fantastic, they hold their own against neve preamps.

Yes maintenance is easy on the SSL. I know a good technician here in Antwerp.
Pas grave l'ami je parle mal néerlandais aussi.
For the neve pres there is also the bae reeditions wich are great and cheeper than the aurora audio,even I think the sound quality isn't the same at all. Anyway it still far from these good vintage 1073. I'll go for an aurora reedition with one or two vintage one.
Old 8th December 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
The API is basically twice the price however.
Old 8th December 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Track on the Neve, mix on the SSL. What are you going to use it for more?
Or as it pertains to the OP: Track on the Neve 80 series, mix on the SSL E/G series, fry eggs on the Neve VR.
Old 8th December 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
elamberth's Avatar
For $50K, with over 24 in line channels, you are looking at the Trident 88 or Audient new. Otherwise it’s used, where the techs available, power & operating costs & how tolerable you are for reliability/ down time come into play. But I think you know that, hence the original question about the older SSL vs Neve. There are good deals on a used AWS (in your price range) if pairing with an x-desk would give you enough inputs (64) and the limitations of a sidecar with a few auxes makes sense for your workflow/ needs.
Old 8th December 2019
  #26
Gear Nut
 
Liquidaudio's Avatar
 

Best bang for the buck would still be a Trident 80B miles better sounding than any SSL, but hey I wanna mix music not record, add outboard like extra spices.

Even the look of this thing kicks butt with all that wood.

Yes consoles are like classic cars to me.

Here's my humble abode:
Attached Thumbnails
Neve vs SSL-4016g.jpg  
Old 8th December 2019
  #27
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
The API is basically twice the price however.
I need at least 48 channels, so an api legacy axs... 270k
It's 200k over my budget.
Old 8th December 2019
  #28
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
Or as it pertains to the OP: Track on the Neve 80 series, mix on the SSL E/G series, fry eggs on the Neve VR.
The VR cook it self
Old 8th December 2019
  #29
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
Best bang for the buck would still be a Trident 80B miles better sounding than any SSL, but hey I wanna mix music not record, add outboard like extra spices.

Even the look of this thing kicks butt with all that wood.

Yes consoles are like classic cars to me.

Here's my humble abode:
Very nice setup.
Record on an old Trident 70 series, mix on an SSL 4000.
Old 8th December 2019
  #30
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamberth View Post
For $50K, with over 24 in line channels, you are looking at the Trident 88 or Audient new. Otherwise it’s used, where the techs available, power & operating costs & how tolerable you are for reliability/ down time come into play. But I think you know that, hence the original question about the older SSL vs Neve. There are good deals on a used AWS (in your price range) if pairing with an x-desk would give you enough inputs (64) and the limitations of a sidecar with a few auxes makes sense for your workflow/ needs.
The Trident 88 sounds very good but there is no automation.
For the duo: ssl aws with x-desk is great combo, however I'll go with a Matrix with x-rack.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump