The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve vs SSL
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The issues are spare parts, that they run hot so components fail a lot, they’re annoying to service (just getting to one module means taking off 15 or so screws, it’s stupid!), you need a good tech or you’ll never get it to a great standard, and so on. I don’t really care for the EQs or dynamics either.
You really need proper AC I guess to have one of these in a room.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiplex View Post
50k no I could look at all kinds of consoles.
Amek, Trident Vector , Ssl Aws , D&R , Cadac , Raindirk
Raindirk Symphony!
Old 11th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mumbles View Post
I hated the automation so much on the SSL (4K) I just did it Manual. Edit mixes together in PT post production if there was too much to do (in which case I usually called more hands on deck). Today I use hybrid, and much automation is in PT, but I do still ride faders and such on the console for printing (these days I will edit mixes together as it’s hard to get more hands on deck than in the 90s-variety of reasons). You know-first half of print one, and 2nd half of print 2. Like that. If I nail the first half of print one, I won’t even worry about he first half on print two (if needed)
I actually quite liked VCA automation. But since then, I feel mix automation has really developed - it's so much more than level changes now. I automate all sorts of things as mixes go on - or I'll print a stem, chop it up and manipulate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
You really need proper AC I guess to have one of these in a room.
You really need proper aircon for a G too. And a machine room! Sure some might "get away" with it, but you'll always be fighting temperature. And hot rooms kill desks.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
What’s the power supply like on that board? Is it really 7 boxes? Can u post a pic?
Sorry for the delay posting the pics.. I was slammed with vocal tracking

Console PSUs on the left, there are 9 total. 3 Audio, 2 Logic, 2, Motor Faders, 2 Dynamics. The PSUs are on their own breaker and draw 12 amps at 250v. The Automation runs on a DOS PC that is in the control room for now. It also stores the Recall.
Neve vs SSL-psus.jpg
This is how i connect the console to the gear,. These Punch Down Blocks are the console Bus Outs to 32 A-D. and 48 console Tape Ins from D-A. And the Control room monitor sends to the amps.
Neve vs SSL-dsc04540.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Neve vs SSL-psus.jpg   Neve vs SSL-dsc04540.jpg  

Last edited by stevep; 11th December 2019 at 01:06 PM..
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcef View Post
The VR and the 4k are the only two large format analog consoles under 50k.
So if the VR is as bad as pepole say, I'll finally go with the ssl.
Not true, There are many great desks out there under that price. i did not spend anything close to that on my Octagon. Well,. i did all the commissioning and wiring, etc.. that alone will cost over $20,000.
Neve vs SSL-analog-mixing.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Neve vs SSL-analog-mixing.jpg  
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
50k no I could look at all kinds of consoles.
Amek, Trident Vector , Ssl Aws , D&R , Cadac , Raindirk
adding to your list MCI 500, DDA AMR24, maybe even a Soundtracks Jade ?

My friend has a killer Soundcraft for sale with Inward Connections mods to the master bus and i think it has all the best mods for that desk,. it sounds killer
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post

Console PSUs on the left, there are 9 total. 3 Audio, 2 Logic, 2, Motor Faders, 2 Dynamics. The PSUs are on their own breaker and draw 12 amps at 250v. The Automation runs on a DOS PC that is in the control room for now. It also stores the Recall.
Neve vs SSL-psus.jpg
This is how i connect the console to the gear,. These Punch Down Blocks are the console Bus Outs to 32 A-D. and 48 console Tape Ins from D-A. And the Control room monitor sends to the amps.
Neve vs SSL-dsc04540.jpg
Cool thanks ! Pretty big power setup
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

If you are setting up a commercial studio, I can understand going SSL. Its still something people ask for. Lot's of nice desks, but SSL or Neve still have the cachet that attracts clients.
I have a D&R Orion, which I think is great for the money. Loads of inputs, clean, sounds very good. But will it draw clients? Will a Soundcraft, DDA? All great desks, but not IMHO a replacement for an SSL from a commercial point of view.
So in the OP's situation, I think an SSL makes sense. I also have an MCI JH600 to be serviced and installed, but even that won't be in demand (except for the fact that mine has an interesting history)
Just my €2.
Old 11th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
If you are setting up a commercial studio, I can understand going SSL. Its still something people ask for. Lot's of nice desks, but SSL or Neve still have the cachet that attracts clients.
I have a D&R Orion, which I think is great for the money. Loads of inputs, clean, sounds very good. But will it draw clients? Will a Soundcraft, DDA? All great desks, but not IMHO a replacement for an SSL from a commercial point of view.
So in the OP's situation, I think an SSL makes sense. I also have an MCI JH600 to be serviced and installed, but even that won't be in demand (except for the fact that mine has an interesting history)
Just my €2.
I don't think he IS setting up a commercial studio.

The idea of the "commercial mix room" is a little over now anyway. Sure some people still mix on consoles, but they don't hire their rooms to other people to mix on consoles.

If someone comes into an SSL room to mix, they often put up 2 faders, maybe use some hardware and print it, and they use the monitors.

No-one wants to hire a room for a recall nowadays!

Seems to me like he's setting up a personal mix space.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also have an MCI JH600 to be serviced and installed, but even that won't be in demand (except for the fact that mine has an interesting history)
Just my €2.
MCI JH600 is a helluva desk.. (along with 400 and 500), rather easy to service, not too many components as well...it has a nice "warmth" going on as well, as everything MCI..

Cheu
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The idea of the "commercial mix room" is a little over now anyway. Sure some people still mix on consoles, but they don't hire their rooms to other people to mix on consoles.

If someone comes into an SSL room to mix, they often put up 2 faders, maybe use some hardware and print it, and they use the monitors.

I don't know. I assumed commercial but maybe personal.
But I'd argue that you need to have something to draw people in. SSL will still do that especially in a country like Belgium where there is limited choice.
If personal, then it's up to him what he wants :-)
But in any case, there is nothing wrong with an SSL 4000g. If he wants one for whatever reason, I doubt a D&R will scratch that itch.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
MCI JH600 is a helluva desk.. (along with 400 and 500), rather easy to service, not too many components as well...it has a nice "warmth" going on as well, as everything MCI..

Cheu
Agreed :-)
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post

Cheu
Those don’t run a fortune either and have that
Phat sound. A mci and matching tape machine yes you are set! Now my singer buddy thinks it’s a dinosaur but I’d be ok being a flintstone
Old 11th December 2019
Quote:

I left the business professionally in 2010 and it was this way for a few years even before that. I even saw a top mixer do this in a NYC studio and he didn’t even use the outboard, just two tracks. This was 2008, and there was massive outboard gear around him. All ITB
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mumbles View Post
I left the business professionally in 2010 and it was this way for a few years even before that. I even saw a top mixer do this in a NYC studio and he didn’t even use the outboard, just two tracks. This was 2008, and there was massive outboard gear around him. All ITB
Well do the deal. I mean there’s no better mouse pad or keyboard Trey than an ssl.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post

Jeepers! I’m only using an 18v and a 12v on the Cinemix. Steve is currently trying to convince me I need to use my spare 18v when I install my dynamics cards. He’s a ‘ Do it right, do it once’ kinda guy.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Jeepers! I’m only using an 18v and a 12v on the Cinemix. Steve is currently trying to convince me I need to use my spare 18v when I install my dynamics cards. He’s a ‘ Do it right, do it once’ kinda guy.
Looks like it takes a lot of juice
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm planning on opening a commercial room, but even if I would fail I would just do some random freelance work as a side income. I can use the desk for my personal projects too.

Don't just dive into this business without a main income I would say.

If I would make even a little money doing this I would try to cut down hours of my day job in order to be happier and escape some of the daily grind.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
I had one of the those big beasts on the bottom for my orion, that was 24 channels. Strange how this stuff adds up.
Old 12th December 2019
Quote:
I don't know. I assumed commercial but maybe personal.
But I'd argue that you need to have something to draw people in. SSL will still do that especially in a country like Belgium where there is limited choice.
If personal, then it's up to him what he wants :-)
But in any case, there is nothing wrong with an SSL 4000g. If he wants one for whatever reason, I doubt a D&R will scratch that itch.
I still think the idea of a "commercial mix room" is slightly suicidal. Production/overdub space that can also be used for mixing, sure.

You'd have to ask the guys at ICP how often they have someone in to purely mix OTB to get a feel for belgium I guess!
Old 12th December 2019
Quote:
I'm planning on opening a commercial room, but even if I would fail I would just do some random freelance work as a side income. I can use the desk for my personal projects too.

Don't just dive into this business without a main income I would say.

If I would make even a little money doing this I would try to cut down hours of my day job in order to be happier and escape some of the daily grind.
If you can support a commercial room with "random freelance work" you're doing very well/in a very low cost area!

FWIW I would never open a commercial room without having spent at least some time working AT a commercial room - to see how it all works. Or at the very least picking the brains of someone who really knows the industry - specifically the studio industry.
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If you can support a commercial room with "random freelance work" you're doing very well/in a very low cost area!

FWIW I would never open a commercial room without having spent at least some time working AT a commercial room - to see how it all works. Or at the very least picking the brains of someone who really knows the industry - specifically the studio industry.
Not only your points mentioned. But as my Belgian internet friend said once you need some training to
learn how to run it. I’ve not run anything like that and only saw a few in college but I imagine it’s a whole other world to mix on it daily or to track a session on it.
Plus to really get it going it’s going to take a whole
lot of outboard gear. I’d not want to use it as just a summing mixer.
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Working on it at this very moment!
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Raindirk Symphony!
This!!!

Symphony consoles are in my mind the most musical ‘modern’ type consoles I’ve heard.

They have all the routing functionality of a 4K plus very musical EQ and just sound great!

I miss mine and listened to some old mixes recently and it was a pleasure.

There’s a large 40 channel on reverb that would be mine if I had the space.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
This!!!

Symphony consoles are in my mind the most musical ‘modern’ type consoles I’ve heard.

They have all the routing functionality of a 4K plus very musical EQ and just sound great!

I miss mine and listened to some old mixes recently and it was a pleasure.

There’s a large 40 channel on reverb that would be mine if I had the space.

Cheers
Wiggy
Yes I saw that one! Rare find!
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcef View Post
The Trident 88 sounds very good but there is no automation.
For the duo: ssl aws with x-desk is great combo, however I'll go with a Matrix with x-rack.
Actually there is. It is called the TRIMIX. We have been testing it for a long time, and it is just about ready to go. We will show it again at NAMM. To be fair, it is the exact same system as the Ruppert Neve SwiftMix.

We licenced it from Carl Malone at CM Labs. We will have the final pricing for this in a few weeks...but the cost of a Trident Series 88 with automation is a very attractive package. Keeps up with all the consoles mentioned here at a significant lower buy-in price, and made in the USA!!!!
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Actually there is. It is called the TRIMIX. We have been testing it for a long time, and it is just about ready to go. We will show it again at NAMM. To be fair, it is the exact same system as the Ruppert Neve SwiftMix.

We licenced it from Carl Malone at CM Labs. We will have the final pricing for this in a few weeks...but the cost of a Trident Series 88 with automation is a very attractive package. Keeps up with all the consoles mentioned here at a significant lower buy-in price, and made in the USA!!!!
Now that’s what I was talking about! Take my money!
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now that’s what I was talking about! Take my money!
I would be happy to, but in the end, you will get an amazing console that keeps up with all the big boys. Maybe you can buy a new car or put a deposit down on a new house with the savings...
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
I would be happy to, but in the end, you will get an amazing console that keeps up with all the big boys. Maybe you can buy a new car or put a deposit down on a new house with the savings...
Yes I think the transformer option and recall would put you right up there with the top rooms. I’ve see it beta in a video on YouTube forget who had it but he liked the auto option.
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I think the transformer option and recall would put you right up there with the top rooms. I’ve see it beta in a video on YouTube forget who had it but he liked the auto option.
There have been some updates as well. The D-Sub option connector panel is available now. With this option, it balances the insert send and returns.

We also added Direct Output transformer options. So all direct outputs can be transformer balanced out.

The nomenclature color has been lightened up as well to make it easier to read in dark locations... The console is better than ever.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search