The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Taking apart a Neotek Elite 56 ch console
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

Taking apart a Neotek Elite 56 ch console

Anyone out there know if you can take apart A Neotek Elite console to carry it up some stairs? The frame is too large to get around the stairs corners, so will need to be taken apart somehow for carrying - ether that or craned in through a window - the latter might be pretty pricey !
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Guru

I think you're going to need the crane.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I think you're going to need the crane.
as he said - I'd be very cautious to take the frame apart - even taking out all modules might cause some contact problems you didn't have before ...
If the console works as it is I'd invest in the crane if you have to recap it anyway all bets are open ...
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Measure the window to see if frame will go through it. Get at least 4 guys and two extension ladders. You should be able to pull out the windows and just leave the frame opening. Pull out the mixer's modules and patchbay so you cut down the weight. Remaining mixer frame should be easily lifted by two guys at this point. Wrap stripped down mixer with blanket and tape/tie so the protecting blanket will stay in place. Tie some rope to each end of that. With the four guys, position the two ladders on each side of the window frame. Lean the mixer frame against one of the ladders and run the ropes up the other ladder through the window. Now slide mixer frame up the two extension ladders and when high enough have two guys, one on each ladder continue sliding the mixer frame up the ladders above them. The two other guys head upstairs and from the window opening grab the ropes to help lift. When high enough the inside guys will transition frame into window with outside guys helping lift and control. You should be able to get the frame in that way without damage. Reassemble upstairs and reward the helpers.

Bringing in a crane means maybe crating to protect the mixer as straps could crush it and people forget about the roof overhang making it difficult to get more than half of it though the opening before the crane cable hits the roof.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
Anyone out there know if you can take apart A Neotek Elite console to carry it up some stairs? The frame is too large to get around the stairs corners, so will need to be taken apart somehow for carrying - ether that or craned in through a window - the latter might be pretty pricey !
I've moved a lot of consoles. Honestly, you are far better off to CAREFULLY remove all the modules and then move it. This cause a LOT less stress. The weight and odd angles the console is put in during a move can bend and stress the modules and back planes. Removing the modules makes it MUCH lighter, so it's easier to move and you don't have all the stress. Be sure to number the modules before you take them out.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
I've moved a lot of consoles. Honestly, you are far better off to CAREFULLY remove all the modules and then move it. This cause a LOT less stress. The weight and odd angles the console is put in during a move can bend and stress the modules and back planes. Removing the modules makes it MUCH lighter, so it's easier to move and you don't have all the stress. Be sure to number the modules before you take them out.
Already done that. I was asking if there's a way to take the frame apart, it's too large to fit around the stairs. Putting it all back so there's no problems is the scary bit! ...
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Pull out the mixer's modules and patchbay so you cut down the weight. ...
Detaching the patchbay is easier said than done! Would you seriously consider this for the Neotek? How exactly? I've asked Mike at Sytek, but he hasn't responded...
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

It's just for less weight while moving it up ladders. If two guys can lift frame with patchbay still in it then you can probably muscle it up the ladders and in the window (just turn mixer frame so heavy patchbay side is on bottom while sliding up the ladders for better control). I'd still use at least 4 guys though. Let us know how it worked out.
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

No need for ladders! It's on the 7th floor, so it's stairs or crane onto the 7th storey balcony. Has anyone taken a neotek frame apart before?
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No need for ladders! It's on the 7th floor, so it's stairs or crane onto the 7th storey balcony. Has anyone taken a neotek frame apart before?
i had a 36-channel neotek elan a looong time ago but didn't need to move it much - i did however cut two amek angela frames into pieces, mainly to get a v-shaped desk (see pic) but also 'cause i had to move the desks/frames downstairs so i hired eight guys from a boxing club...
Attached Thumbnails
Taking apart a Neotek Elite 56 ch console-img_0406.jpg  
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
that was my plan for our 36ch Series iiic....
thought of cutting the frame apart and rebuilding once we got it into the room (in pieces!!). thankfully we never needed to do that.... the frame is made up of continuous large aluminum rails that run the length of the thing. if you're a machining/fabrication guy maybe...

we built a model of the console out of light wood and practiced the move (into a basement originally!) ...we were convinced it wouldn't fit, but after trying it a few diffierent ways with the model... we found a method that worked. it spent 4 years in a basement studio and then back up and out into a legit studio space for the next 4 years.
to echo others on the thread: absolutely unload ANY module you can... any patchbay... strip anything you can before moving it. Ours had all the quad core hard wired to the ADC panels in the back. there were 2 people dedicated to managing the 6 miles of cable hanging out the back if it as we moved it!

good luck!

-pete
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Would have been nice to include "0n 7th floor" in your first post if you wanted useful info. Again get rid of as much weight as possible so 2 guys can easily move it. If your 7th floor balcony is less than 100' up then use 2 of these (so less than 14' per floor), if more get longer ropes. Link: https://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS-Dac...28&s=hi&sr=1-1 Lower ropes from balcony and tie off padded up frame. Use 4 guys to pull up on ropes. Use one guy on ground who KNOWS how to tie proper knots and can keep the lift area free so no one walks underneath during lifting. Same principle as using the ladders only all effort will be up in unit lifting. A good method is to extend arm over railing for one arms length lift at a time with rope secured over railing by standing on it. A sixth person can do excess rope management in unit and help when with lift transition onto balcony. The more you can strip in weight the easier it wil be to lift regardless of rope or stairs.
Old 18th December 2019
Lives for gear

Ropes not a good idea, sorry, the top 3 floors have receding balconies (each higher floor recedes further in than the one below...)
Old 19th December 2019
Lives for gear

Hard to believe a 7 story would not have an elevator or standard stairs for fire code reasons. Talk to your neighbors and gain access to those two lower balconies, offering liability waivers if needed to ease any fears and then give them a bottle for their kindness. If you have to take it apart, unless the frame is welded together, most desks have end plates that the cross members bolt into. You should be able to disassemble down to the individual pcs. If you use a crane expect to pay for a 1/2 day of it's time and it will be a bigger crane that you may have to help set the extention boom on to get that range of height you need. Depending on where you are, you may need a permit to block a street and have additional safety / flagger personal. Really a crane is the last thing you want to do. Just take lots of photos if you disassemble the frame and label the fastners in ziplock bags to make reassembly faster. How did you get your couch and matress into the unit?
Old 19th December 2019
Lives for gear

It's an office building with a standard lift (not goods lift) that only goes to the 6th floor. No good to me anyway, it's too small for the console. The frame as it is without the modules is still kinda heavy and awkward to manoeuvre up and around all those stairs. I'm just worried that even if I got 8 strong guys to take half a day to lift it (still way cheaper than a crane), the twisting and banging might be too damaging..

I think the front bar and the non patch bay side might be removable, which make it a little lighter and manoeuvrable, but at the risk of more twisting and loosening. There just seems like too much can go wrong.... ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Check with the office staff as one elevator typically has a ceiling that swings out of the way or is easily removed so long items can be transported in the elevator. That will get you to the sixth floor (strange the elevator(s) don't go all the way up). Now use the sixth floor balcony to rope up to the 7th or take up stairs one flight. A couple cheap piano dollies that you can pick up at any big box home center will make it easier to move.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There is also a catapult lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Check with the office staff as one elevator typically has a ceiling that swings out of the way or is easily removed so long items can be transported in the elevator. That will get you to the sixth floor (strange the elevator(s) don't go all the way up). Now use the sixth floor balcony to rope up to the 7th or take up stairs one flight. A couple cheap piano dollies that you can pick up at any big box home center will make it easier to move.
Nice idea, I'll check, but I think the lift only has a small fold up panel that extends an extra couple of feet (still not enough). If the whole ceiling can be temp lifted, that could work...

I'd rather not getting level 6 involved, they're lawyers, and I don't want to raise any alarms that I'm thinking of making a musical racket right above them...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Moving Neotek Console ....

I've actually done this - moved a small frame Esprit up three flights of stairs into a loft. Firstly, totally agree with others here in that you need to remove all the modules - they are super well built, and they weigh a ton, plus you'll invariably damage them otherwise. As long as you mark all the connectors and take beaucoup pics you should be fine. From what I've seen on mine, the side panels are made of 1/4" aircraft aluminium, bolted to aluminium extrusions to form the frame. You'll probably have to dismantle this and re-assemble in situ. And hey, get as many guys as you can - these are HEAVY! My frame is only 1.3 x 1 metres, and it was a 4 man dead lift. They're called "Poor Mans Neve" because they're built like them. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Taking apart a Neotek Elite 56 ch console-studio-refit-04.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Moving Neotek Console ....

One last thing: I removed the armrest on mine to make moving even easier. They're surprisingly heavy and removing it gave a few more precious cm / inches .. Here's a pic of the finished room - it's only a home studio to support my real job of restoring Fairlight computer musical instruments - so don't get me going about acoustics!
Attached Thumbnails
Taking apart a Neotek Elite 56 ch console-studio-01.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe a hinged plexiglass panel is in order so you dont fall down the stairwell walking around or sliding your chair back from the keyboard

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search