The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon 300 - would it be a sound upgrade from PCM**** Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Lexicon 300 - would it be a sound upgrade from PCM****

I know, these topics flow here now and then , but still - I would like to ask fresh: I have PCM**** which I like, but I am still aware it does not have that "magical" sound as for example 480L (which is out of my reach). People often say that Lexicon 300 is something between as if and closer to 480L sound than PCM**** (more, lush and dense). What do you think ? Would it have any sense to change PCM**** for 300 from the sound quality point of view ? (long halls, plates)
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

I love the 300. I think it is nicer, but can't you rent a 300 and compare directly?
Old 13th June 2007
Gear Maniac

I also own PCM91 and had a rented 300L for a month or so. Only thing I noticed is that when you listen to effx. track- they are damn close(300L seemed to have more depth and "magic", but for a nuance), but somehow, 300L breathed better in mixing stage. I would get 300L if I were you becouse LARC is such a creative tool.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

I had a 300 that I sold off. I would rate it above the 80/90's....
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Ivo, I had 91 many years before I bought couple of 300s, although it's newer.
IMO there is no very big difference, except my impression that analogue I/Os provide more 'magic' on 300 and possibility to control several units with one LARC.
When I start to mix OTB I've found that many time analogue I\Os on 300 provide better results, so I stopped there.
All other reverbs I mostly use via digital I/Os.
To my ears 300 is definitely closer to classic Lex sound, it's reasonably reliable and inexpensive these days (last one I paid 1350, but LR-4 frame can set you back 800-900$ and LARC even more).
Old 13th June 2007
Gear Addict

I have used both and the 300 is a very natural sounding box. In my opinion it is a huge step up.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, so you really started to change your mind? Up until now you were - from what you said - completely convinced they're identical...

I can send some stuff through the 300 to compare if you like. Testing it for yourself does make more sense of course.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Wow, so you really started to change your mind? Up until now you were - from what you said - completely convinced they're identical...

I can send some stuff through the 300 to compare if you like. Testing it for yourself does make more sense of course.
Thanks :-) ... As I said before, I was just conviced by Lexicon employees ... not by anything else ... I thought of an upgrade to Bricasti reverb, but found that although great box , it did not appeal to me that much soundwise (for my limited needs). So now I am thinking in this direction.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

I love the 300, had not much experience with the pcm**** but to me the 300 sounded better esp. in the analogue IO.
Love the 'halls' of the 300.

Henk
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

I had both of these for many years and liked the 300 better...more organic than the 91.
Old 13th June 2007

R66

Could you try the R66 and see if this fulfills your need?
http://www.inuamusic.com/sonicflavou...ang=en&p_id=21
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

The R66 is not even close...
Old 13th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
The R66 is not even close...
it was supposed to be the plug that could replace lexicons most expensive unit.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

I use the 300 almost every day. Love it. The 'halls' mix very very well.
A definite upgrade, IMO.
Old 13th June 2007
A 300 is no 480L in terms of depth.

If you compared the PCM**** to a 480L than you will be disappointed.

On its own(i own one) its useful but i would never use it to replace what a 480L does.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Well it doesn't. Huge whishy-washy halls completely drowning the signal is what it does well though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yudishtira View Post
it was supposed to be the plug that could replace lexicons most expensive unit.
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

300 is a big step up from the 91. I've owned almost every Lexicon verb/delay and sold and bought back a number of their models too many friggin' times.

I kept, use and love to this day:

PCM41/42
PCM70
M300
224XL
480L

I have more than one, of a number of the items above.

I don't look back.

BTW the *ONLY* plug that *EVER* came close to the units above is the Lexiverb.
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAudioLab View Post
300 is a big step up from the 91. I've owned almost every Lexicon verb/delay and sold and bought back a number of their models too many friggin' times.

I kept, use and love to this day:

PCM41/42
PCM70
M300
224XL
480L

I have more than one, of a number of the items above.

I don't look back.

BTW the *ONLY* plug that *EVER* came close to the units above is the Lexiverb.
The long hall sounds on the 300 are amazing. It is a step up from the 91, though I think the 91 is an incredibly useful reverb that sounds better than any plug in I've had for "reverb" sounds, anyway.

TH
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

yeah it's all about the big hall.

If I was doing orchestra strings or ballard vocals then 300 would be the one.

The 91 was a bit clinical for me but liked the 80/81 quite a bit.

Personal favorite the PCM41, mad as a cow.
Old 15th June 2007
Gear Guru

The Random Halls from the pcm90's sound pretty damn good to me. If they sound even better on the 300/480 well that's even better but will hurt the bank account a bit more. The usual rule of thumb is that the more money you pay the better it gets, especially in proaudio. ;-)
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone knows how it is with voltage ? I have an opportunity to get Lexicon 300 from the US and I wonder whether it has universal power supply or switchable or each unit is fixed for either 230 or 110 V
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Anyone knows how it is with voltage ? I have an opportunity to get Lexicon 300 from the US and I wonder whether it has universal power supply or switchable or each unit is fixed for either 230 or 110 V
I have both machines on 110 V only and use them with step down transformer.
Seems that power supply can be internally re-wired to 220 V, but I didn't try to do it.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

How much is a 300L with LARC worth these they?
Are they reliable, fixable?

i saw one for 2600$US, I wonder if it's worth it, I allready have a couple of cheap verb unit, spx90, mpx100, lxp-1 and a midiverb.

I could as well spend the money on mics and comps but the 300L looks pretty fun haha.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
I know, these topics flow here now and then , but still - I would like to ask fresh: I have PCM**** which I like, but I am still aware it does not have that "magical" sound as for example 480L (which is out of my reach). People often say that Lexicon 300 is something between as if and closer to 480L sound than PCM**** (more, lush and dense). What do you think ? Would it have any sense to change PCM**** for 300 from the sound quality point of view ? (long halls, plates)
300=Major piece.

TH
Old 10th August 2009
It's been a long time since I used a 480 and when I did it was analog in an analog mix environment. I've never had consistent access to a 300.

I recently picked up a PCM91 and before that i had an MPX-1. Both units benefit enormously from using digital I/O. The 91 less so of course, but even with that unit it makes a noticeable difference to go dig. I have extremely short Canare SPDIF cables and used as an external FX in Nuendo it sounds pretty damn good. Definitely better than any plug I've used.

I dunno. I guess if you have a good price on a 300 go for it, but I certainly don't feel deprived with a PCM91.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Guru

For years I worked in a place with a 300 in one room and a 91 in the other. Big difference to me, no difference to my boss. Now, in my own place, I have an 81 and a 480. Even bigger difference. I do use the Tiled Room on the 81, though.

Both the 300 and the 480 just seem to make everything nicer without drawing undue attention to themselves. The 81 and 91, on the other hand, kinda jump up and shout, "Hey, I'm a bright shiny digital thing!!"
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For years I worked in a place with a 300 in one room and a 91 in the other. Big difference to me, no difference to my boss. Now, in my own place, I have an 81 and a 480. Even bigger difference. I do use the Tiled Room on the 81, though.

Both the 300 and the 480 just seem to make everything nicer without drawing undue attention to themselves. The 81 and 91, on the other hand, kinda jump up and shout, "Hey, I'm a bright shiny digital thing!!"
It makes the 300 very desirable!
Do you think 2600$ for a 300L with larc is a good price or is it too much?
I mix otb on an analog console.

Right now I don't have a lot of outboard.

For my comp I have a B composer which is a stereo comp with gate, cheap, but it works on some stuff, I also have a RNC and an RNLA.

For my verbs and effect I have a midiverb3, a lexicon mpx100, a lxp-1 and a yamaha spx90, all cheap units but some of them seems to be well respected units.

I don't have all the mic I'd like to have yet neither.
So basically I need some more mics, some better comps and gate but still this lexicon 300L is tempting me a lot.

Someone please help me lol.
Old 10th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post

Someone please help me lol.
Pass on it dude. Not only can you find them cheaper around but as a reverb to me its just alright. Its not the 480L for one. It had one good patch but that was about it. I rather have the PCM 96 than the 300 any day.

With $2600 you can buy some other things which will make a bigger difference to the end result.
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Pass on it dude. Not only can you find them cheaper around but as a reverb to me its just alright. Its not the 480L for one. It had one good patch but that was about it. I rather have the PCM 96 than the 300 any day.

With $2600 you can buy some other things which will make a bigger difference to the end result.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search