The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does using a high end word clock on an AD also improve DA?
Old 15th November 2019
Lives for gear

Does using a high end word clock on an AD also improve DA?

If you clock to a high end converter that is AD only, would that have any impact on your DA?

For example, clocking a Metric Halo AD/DA to a Burl or Dangerous AD+?
Old 16th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
If you clock to a high end converter that is AD only, would that have any impact on your DA?

Yes, it will clock all conversion processes.
Old 17th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Yes, it will clock all conversion processes.
Cool. Thanks. I don’t know what a clock is but know that I need a better one
Old 17th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. Thanks. I don’t know what a clock is but know that I need a better one
Is your Metric Halo the latest 3D version? Much better clock. Dangerous clocks are very good too if you own that unit. If not, grab a Grimm CC1 or CC2. Magic things.
Old 17th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is your Metric Halo the latest 3D version? Much better clock. Dangerous clocks are very good too if you own that unit. If not, grab a Grimm CC1 or CC2. Magic things.
Would you clock a Metric Halo 3D to a Burl

Or a Burl to a Metric Halo 3D?
Old 17th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would you clock a Metric Halo 3D to a Burl

Or a Burl to a Metric Halo 3D?
I've not used a Burl unit for a master clock so can't comment. Perhaps ask in the Metric Halo 3D thread. I clock my LIO-8 3D (and Trinnov) with a Grimm CC2.
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

That Metric Halo 3D should be a very good performer.
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

ime it's mostly wishful thinking (and quite difficult to MEASURE): often even a short bnc wordclock cable introduces more jitter than clocking via whatever digital format there is in use - but countless folks will argue it makes a huge difference...

clock from your first a/d converter in the chain!
Old 20th November 2019
Lives for gear

Clock jitter was a thing in 10-20 years ago. Thankfully, interfaces don't really give you so bad of results. Some are theoretically better, but with the gear you mentioned, there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 20th November 2019
Lives for gear

Its been slow to make progress in pro, but in our high end consumer demos at trade shows for ATC we always use our MUTEC Mc3+ and a REF10 on our sources during playback. Helps imaging most, improves sonics more subtly. So I'm a believer.

Years ago I asked Davie Hill if he would look into what made Antelope clocks sound "different" and he came back with quite a bit of info (most of which felt like a physics conversation i did not understand)! It led to his Solaris a year or two later which I know has a special clock in it.

Mutec says the biggest difference in clocks beyond the basics of low jitter is phase noise where there are massive differences. We have often compared the MC3+ to a Antelope 10M and find that these two sound completely different on most sources yet they are both 10 megahertz referenced clocks. We have set up blind tests with these two at shows before and I'd say about 70% of people can hear the difference on a Benchmark DAC [clocked externally] fairly easily on a set of headphones.

Brad
Old 20th November 2019
Lives for gear

Easy test - clock an older Apollo, it's night and day. Same with a Trinnov via analogue. More natural/relaxed.

Very interesting read:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160911...pink-paper-002
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear

It depends on the converter. Every converter doesn’t benefit from external clocking. As a matter of fact, some will perform worse.
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
It depends on the converter. Every converter doesn’t benefit from external clocking. As a matter of fact, some will perform worse.
Indeed. Prism is a good example of this.
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear

When mixing, will clocking my UAD Apollo X8 to my Burl B2 Bomber ADC via wordclock improve the sound? When I track through the Burl, I clock to the Burl, though when I'm mixing ITB and not using the AD anymore, is it better to just stick to the Apollo X8's internal clock or continue to use the Burls clock?
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
When mixing, will clocking my UAD Apollo X8 to my Burl B2 Bomber ADC via wordclock improve the sound? When I track through the Burl, I clock to the Burl, though when I'm mixing ITB and not using the AD anymore, is it better to just stick to the Apollo X8's internal clock or continue to use the Burls clock?
Yes, the Burl has a better clock.
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
You've got all the gear right there in front of you - why not set up a listening test?
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear

The answer is NO. Use internal clock on the a/d converter. The d/a converter re-clocks the digital stream.
It IS true that any jitter from your a/d converter is baked into your signal and can never be removed. Use the best a/d converters you can find.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Easy test - clock an older Apollo, it's night and day. Same with a Trinnov via analogue. More natural/relaxed.

Very interesting read:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160911...pink-paper-002
Tinnov vs Sonarworks?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search