The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dolby A as an Exciter Analog Processors (HW)
Old 15th July 2015
  #31
Lives for gear
 
skythemusic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
SK Note Make a DOLBY "A" Plug In & 500 Series Module with 1580/S DIM D, Dolby A.
This looks pretty cool. There is also the Standard Audio Stretch.
Old 15th July 2015
  #32
Sound Blaster ZxR

Sorry, I couldn't resist. XD
Old 16th July 2015
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Anyone have their CAT22 cards fail? I just bought 3 more CAT22 cards after having both of mine go down within a couple weeks of each other.

Its cheaper to pick up some more cards (under $10 bucks a piece) than to give them to my tech.

I did the mod lifting the 2 resistors. They both worked until fairly recently.

Does anyone know if the mod would cause the units to fail over time?

I really love these things on vocals blended in, but theyr'e kinda a pain in the arse, tho pretty cheap.
Old 16th July 2015
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post
Anyone have their CAT22 cards fail?
I did the mods years ago on two cards I use periodically. Maybe 8 years ago? No failures so far. I don't think at that location of the circuit it would have any affect on the longevity of such a unit.
Old 16th July 2015
  #35
Lives for gear
 

There is a Dolby Cinema Processor which is 4 rack high with 9 different card options and full trafos in/out as well as all cards and card cages for L/R Total, SR/ A and others, so you might want to look at these red stripe monsters, the lid lifts up like a car bonnet, and you can take out the cards, fiddle with the card routing, plug in again - Boom Vocal Dolby compression. 362's with SR/A are around (I have one) for both 1/4" and Encode/Decode, hey are very heavy, the Red Cinema is HUGE....weighing a boat anchor - though they do perform best in circuit with Transformers for added weight?
Cards are often 12 for 50 Bucks!
Old 22nd July 2015
  #37
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
I wouldn't deal with vintage stuff and mods,get the Standard Audio Stretch modules.
Standard-Audio.com - Standard Audio, home of the Level-Or
Old 22nd July 2015
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Do a search on "Dolby trick" and it should give you the info you seek.

The original Dolby trick was done on a Dolby A301 unit by pulling one of it's two compressor cards per channel (which controlled the low and low-mid bands) while leaving it's other compressor card for that channel plugged in (which controlled the high-mid and high bands). As the Dolby A301 unit has two channels this means two cards got pulled. These cards slide in from the front of the unit and are secured with two screws each, thus just remove the screws and pull the card out a 1/4" so it's not in it's card socket anymore. This is what was used for Steve Perry's signature vocal sound with Journey (late 70's) as well as a few other big names.

The typical mod for using the newer Dolby units is cutting a couple resistors on it's Cat#22 card (thus cutting it's signal flow to it's low and low-mid band compression). It's not the same sound as the Dolby A301 unit but when you look at how big the A301 is with it's transformers it's not hard to figure why.

I've not compared the software plugin Dolby trick to either version of the hardware but typically per my ears, plugs don't sound the same as analog hardware compressors (the Dolby trick is just selective band compression).

If interested I've got an extra Dolby A301 for sale in the classifieds and a couple of the newer single channel Dolby 360 units using the Cat#22 card not listed but available.

Last edited by Bassmankr; 25th July 2015 at 08:07 PM..
Old 30th July 2015
  #39
Here for the gear
 

I have a DBX 165 needs repaired?? How can i get a hold of David??
Old 16th June 2017
  #40
Overloud is also making a dolby A plugin now
Old 16th June 2017
  #41
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Overloud is also making a dolby A plugin now
it is not cheap. $90 at the moment... Yikes.

https://www.overloud.com/products/dopamine

SKnote DolA is $40. DolA sounds really good.

Have not heard Dopamine.
Old 16th June 2017
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
it is not cheap. $90 at the moment... Yikes.

https://www.overloud.com/products/dopamine

SKnote DolA is $40. DolA sounds really good.

Have not heard Dopamine.
I was messing with overloud dolby plug comparing with sknotes plug. initial reactions… the sknotes has more options in that there are 3 mode choices, though mode 1 and 2 are a bit harsh. I use mode 3 which affects top end only I believe. The Overloud plug has a better mid-range but not as glassy of a top.
Old 17th June 2017
  #43
Gear Maniac
 
elgee's Avatar
 

I've been demoing and might end up buying the overloud. I currently have a few modded 361s here that I use fairly often which might retire sometime soon... Actually a little upsetting . Now I'm probably going to here this effect all over the damn place. Oh well 'secrets' don't last forever.
It's a good time for audio, here's to good tunes to come

LG
Old 17th June 2017
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
I've been demoing and might end up buying the overloud. I currently have a few modded 361s here that I use fairly often which might retire sometime soon... Actually a little upsetting . Now I'm probably going to here this effect all over the damn place. Oh well 'secrets' don't last forever.
It's a good time for audio, here's to good tunes to come

LG
So, are you saying they nailed the sound? Or does the HW have that extra bit of magic?

Last edited by javamad; 17th June 2017 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 17th June 2017
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
So, are you saying they nailed the sound? Or does the HW have that extra bit of magic?
Unfortunately, I sold my pair of 360's w/ cat 22 cards before I got the plugins to a/b. From memory the SkNotes mode 3 is closest. Not sure the subtle difference between plug and hardware is worth patching in. I might do an a/b w/ a buddy who still has one.
Old 17th June 2017
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
This looks pretty cool. There is also the Standard Audio Stretch.
A bit pricey me thinks.
Old 17th June 2017
  #47
Gear Maniac
 
elgee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
So, are you saying they nailed the sound? Or does the HW have that extra bit of magic?
The plugin is pretty good tool in a pinch. The sknote C is pretty nice. It's more of a convenience for tonal matching for me. For more expensive tracks like main vocals I personally still prefer the hardware... part of the reason is the hardware has huge heavy transformers that I think add that 'magic expensive juice' to anything run through it. Maybe it's the way you gotta gainstage the effect ...not really sure.

But yeah bottom line i've been impressed and was trying to match a drum tone to some vocals I ran thru the 361s and the overloud did a good job didn't kill my workflow.
Old 17th June 2017
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
The plugin is pretty good tool in a pinch. The sknote C is pretty nice. It's more of a convenience for tonal matching for me. For more expensive tracks like main vocals I personally still prefer the hardware... part of the reason is the hardware has huge heavy transformers that I think add that 'magic expensive juice' to anything run through it. Maybe it's the way you gotta gainstage the effect ...not really sure.

But yeah bottom line i've been impressed and was trying to match a drum tone to some vocals I ran thru the 361s and the overloud did a good job didn't kill my workflow.
Thanks for that info.
Old 18th June 2017
  #49
Is the Dolby 363 w/ Cat 300 or 450 the same "A" sound as the 360/361 cat.22 A?
Old 19th June 2017
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
elgee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Is the Dolby 363 w/ Cat 300 or 450 the same "A" sound as the 360/361 cat.22 A?
Hey Sicily,

No I just read unless you want to use these units as straight NR to avoid them. I found this thread with rascalsteven mentioning he uses the 362 and 365 as alternatives.

L
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
PlasticMoonRain / So Much Gear, So Little Time
38
d_cham / Geekslutz Forum
5
nobtwiddler / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
johnnyvince / Mastering Forum
16
Ruphus / Low End Theory
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump