The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Muddy v72’s?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Muddy v72’s?

Hi all! I got a great deal on 2 x siemens v72’s w custom diy casing (no output volume knobs). I have had experience using another pair of siemens v72 so know some of the sound caracteristics. The ones i just got seem to be muddy and lacking the high frequencies my previous pair had. Anything i should be looking at? Perhaps it’s a lack of power in the casing or something is going on w the inside circuitry? Any thoughts would be helpful! Would love to get these babies up to speed!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmtc View Post
Hi all! I got a great deal on 2 x siemens v72’s w custom diy casing (no output volume knobs). I have had experience using another pair of siemens v72 so know some of the sound caracteristics. The ones i just got seem to be muddy and lacking the high frequencies my previous pair had. Anything i should be looking at? Perhaps it’s a lack of power in the casing or something is going on w the inside circuitry? Any thoughts would be helpful! Would love to get these babies up to speed!
Sounds like they are not terminated correctly. I remember having conversations with Oliver Archut (RIP big man) and him telling me over half the V72’s he encountered weren’t terminated correctly.

Have a competent tech who knows vintage tube electronics look at them. They shouldn’t sound muddy, they should sound sweet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Awesome, thanks for the info - will do!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You should have boat loads of beautiful highs so yes have a tech that knows v72s look at them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep, something definitely wrong.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Same as above . I also know several big time engineers that have told me they bought and sold several till they found the special ones . Seems to be the case with a lot of vintage gear . But what your sayin sounds more of a tech problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search