The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$10k mic budget
Old 3 weeks ago
Alright compressors! I’ve put it off but maybe it’s time. Thought about a VoxBox or Chandler TG Cassette
Old 3 weeks ago
Or a chandler tone control and germanium compressor - I love chandler
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

With that budget... Silver Bullet!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyMountain View Post
Ideally, I'd get a lower priced mic and add a 1073 pre and a nice compressor and sort of have my vocal chain. Have good pres already - Chandler germanium, Pacifica, Neve Portico, Mercury 72s. I have been thinking about vintage U47/U67, Bock 251, Manley Silver or Gold (really the Silver), Flea 47. Anyone have any thoughts?
I'd really recommend you work on the compressor thing first. You already have some reasonably decent mics in canonical sonic categories. You already have a fine assortment of excellent preamps. While there are a few more flavors of each to collect, nothing is going to sound "finished" to you without proper compression. The usual FET + Opto chain is something you need to try pronto, and you may be surprised at the kind of magic it can add to the gear you already have. I haven't used it personally, but the Black Lion B172A gives you that chain in one box. Put one in your rack, warm up those bespoke preamps, and work seriously to understand the sonic potential of the mics you already have. Being able to articulate what you do and don't like about each of them is required homework if you eventually want to discover "your" mic. Until you understand what you're looking for, a randomly-chosen "flagship" microphone could still be exactly the wrong choice for your voice. BTW, when you finally do understand what you're looking for, "your" mic isn't going to need any EQ, so don't waste your money buying one.

Do note that your room acoustics need to be sorted as well. Creating a fully treated tracking space can be quite expensive, but to make a room work well enough for vocal tracking should cost less than $2k.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording

Last edited by David Rick; 3 weeks ago at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Black Lion compressor model number corrected
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Alright compressors! I’ve put it off but maybe it’s time. Thought about a VoxBox or Chandler TG Cassette
I thought that TG microphone cassette was wonderful.
I love the way the components interacted, and I loved how flexible it was. Thought the fine gain was awesome, and that EQ sounds so smooth. All vibe. Non-surgical. The opto was interesting. The hold control takes a little getting used to, the hard knee slams, and the way it responds to the input from the pre/eq section feels right. The amp circuits all sound sweet. Lots of flexibility with hardwire bypass at both stages, physical routing between pre/eq & opto for external routing, di, line, output attenuator.. the only thing it doesn’t have is a side chain input..

Beautiful, round, sexy smooth color, broad tonal range. I liked it a lot.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There's a joke or two, hiding in that last sentence...
But I'll keep it "PG".
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Well - you won’t get a “real” 47 for that so scratch that off the list!

You might manage to find a 67 at that, but only just.
Old 3 weeks ago
I have the room pretty well treated - to my novice ears. I am lucky to have 12' ceilings in a big old log house with lots of rugs and what not. I did some homework and placed some panels in what seems to be a good array. Last night I recorded a quick guitar loop and then did the same vocals with the Manley, Telefunken, Cloud and a modified Avantone CV11 and had my wife come listen. It took her a minute but she was able to deduce the Avantone was way flatter than the others - like hollow or thin. The Cloud she quickly noticed was a bit bass heavy. The Manley had more air on it and the Telefunken seemed just about right. However, even to me (aside from the Avantone) it was very subtle. So that being said, what compressor to get! goof. I have thought about the TG Cassette, the Retro Powerstrip or a few compressors in sequence. I will check out that Black Lion too David. Thanks everyone! Maybe I can still get that .45 too !
Old 3 weeks ago
If i where to spend that kind of money I'd demo a few highend clones. The ones mentioned the most. Flea, Bock etc. See if you like a u47, m49 or 251 type of mic.

Still there are plenty of good mics in the 3k range. The dollar is really high know so finding a vintage might not be impossible if you look in the EU market. In Sweden the going price for u67 is under 8k if you find one. I'd rather go with something with an more open topend though!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
You need to get serious and buy a c800g and then sell the ref c. That's what you're missing right now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Correction: I typed the wrong model number above. The Black Lion FET + Opto box is a B172A.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So that being said, what compressor to get!
Cannot recommend enough that you consider a LA2A paired with a 1176 type. (I have a Stam LA2A clone (SA2A) and a Hairball DIY 1176)

I typically put the 1176 first with a fast attack and knock 2-3 db off, then feed into the SA2A and compress to taste.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you're still thinking about vocal microphones...
Put the Bock Soundelux U195, on your short list.
If you're curious why I said that, I'll explain.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I am actually close to Nashville.....
In that case, just rent a bunch of high end mics from Blackbird (they have EVERYTHING!), and shoot them out on your voice to find what works best for you.

Definitely figure this out before dropping 10K. We can offer suggestions but it's like shooting in the dark and of limited value.
only you know your voice and your taste.
Old 3 weeks ago
Chris do tell about the Bock. I didn't know about Blackbird!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here is their condenser mic rental inventory......

https://www.blackbirdaudiorentals.com/condenser-mics
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can post more tonight, after work.
So for now....

David Bock put a "ginormous" Transformer in the U195. Really adds girth/body to the bottom end of a vocal. The capsule is the same as the U99.
(which is my fave U67 style mic on my voice)
Open/airy at the top.

BTW I left you my vocal clip, in case you have a similar type of voice. Up to 10KHz, has a similar response to the U195 flat.

The U195 more objectively, has better fidelity. $90 mic vs. $1250 mic!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If you really want vintage, warm, flattering vocals (as opposed to what you’re getting from the clearer, cutting Manley), then I have to agree with everyone who suggested a U47 style mic, specifically Bock, Flea, and Wunder. As for the rest of the chain, a BAE 1073, REDD47, or Coil preamp would give you some serious warmth / heft and a Retro 176 or Chandler RS124 could add the final polish and vibe. If you find all of the above used, you should come out around the $8k-ish mark and have a great vocal chain that you can use forever. You could add on a faster compressor like an 1176 or CL1b or go for a Pultec style EQ if you’re determined to spend the full $10k (but that will probably push you a bit over). 251 or 67 are also worth considering, but they’re generally going to be a bit brighter and airier than a 47.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
If you're still thinking about vocal microphones...
Put the Bock Soundelux U195, on your short list.
If you're curious why I said that, I'll explain.
Chris
Love this mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also again, Heiserman H47 tube is right up there too. For a lesser budget, Advanced Audio CM49.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

$10,000.

$400 plane flight to Namm ten weeks from now

Capture any mic at the show for 10 sec each in the booths with your laptop.

At night in the hotel, do some quick listens. Not scientific of course.

Between the quick listens and in-person look-see...you'll know.

Walk over yo Buca De to have dinner with your friends & talk about what you've seen.

Day 2-3 etc....repeat.

Fly home.

At the show or back home, order a u67 reissue, a couple of 414xls, and a couple more 57s...oh wait....that's stuff I do at the shows.

Back home, order your mic.

See you there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I have the great pleasure to have use of a Josephson C700A, C716 and Flea47 - all are truly fantastic Microphones. If there was one big ticket Mic I would like to try it would be the Josephson C725 ($8,800!). https://vintageking.com/josephson-c725 - Have Fun :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
On point

Quote:
Originally Posted by m03 View Post
What problem(s) with vocals do you have now that you are you trying to solve?

What ground do you need to cover that your current mics are inadequate at covering?

I don't see how blind suggestions are going to help without this context being fleshed out first.
Hey Bud, the guy above is on point. Also, sorry to hear all the shameful haters in this thread. Mics are all about what you’re trying to do. If you wanna do a sweet delicate vocal, the 251 is perfect, if you sound bigger, the c12 is great..if you wanna cut vocals in control room blasting the mains at the same time try the sm7...it’s all about being a little more familiar with stuff. It’d be a good investment to hire out a well equipped studio and engineer to guide you and try some stuff. If you’re in Orange County CA, I could help, if you’re in Nashville or LA you have tons of options...but that’s really the best way to get your mouth and ears on some stuff and make a great decision...work with guys who won’t sell you a mic, but share your passion instead. Hope that helps!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I have the room pretty well treated - to my novice ears. I am lucky to have 12' ceilings in a big old log house with lots of rugs and what not. I did some homework and placed some panels in what seems to be a good array. Last night I recorded a quick guitar loop and then did the same vocals with the Manley, Telefunken, Cloud and a modified Avantone CV11 and had my wife come listen. It took her a minute but she was able to deduce the Avantone was way flatter than the others - like hollow or thin. The Cloud she quickly noticed was a bit bass heavy. The Manley had more air on it and the Telefunken seemed just about right. However, even to me (aside from the Avantone) it was very subtle. So that being said, what compressor to get! goof. I have thought about the TG Cassette, the Retro Powerstrip or a few compressors in sequence. I will check out that Black Lion too David. Thanks everyone! Maybe I can still get that .45 too !
Hi
I can fully recommend a Brauner VMA into a Neve 1073 into an LA2A, which I use.
Two other pieces I'd recommend looking at are the Chandler mics; Redd or TG. Also the Tube-Tech CL1B compressor.
Another great and versatile mic for vocals and accoustic guitars is the AKG C414 XLS.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Looking for ideas for a vocal mic. Birthday is coming up and I have the thumbs up for a $10k budget, give or take. I have a Manley Ref. Card., Telefunken AK47II, Cloud 44a and an Avantone C12 that has been modified. Ideally, I'd get a lower priced mic and add a 1073 pre and a nice compressor and sort of have my vocal chain. Have good pres already - Chandler germanium, Pacifica, Neve Portico, Mercury 72s. I have been thinking about vintage U47/U67, Bock 251, Manley Silver or Gold (really the Silver), Flea 47. Anyone have any thoughts?
With that budget, I would definitely hit up Chad Kelly from Signal Art Electronics to build you a U47/67, a 251, and a third mic of your choosing/ his recommendation to compliment the other two. This guy's mics are meticulously designed and built!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

a new neumann u67 with a nice channel strip such as a grace m-103 or a versatile preamp such as dave hill's europa-1 goes a loooong way...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
With that budget, I would definitely hit up Chad Kelly from Signal Art Electronics to build you a U47/67, a 251, and a third mic of your choosing/ his recommendation to compliment the other two. This guy's mics are meticulously designed and built!
I suppose it depends on what your aim is.

The way I was reading it, it’s someone buying a mic for personal use.

So whilst your recommendation may be sound, maybe just one mic is all that’s needed?
Old 3 weeks ago
Well, if you already own these fancy mics, you still think an "even better" mic will make you sing better ? It would make more sense to spend the money on a producer, or vocal coach, or someone who can teach you to get better. More gear won't help with improving your songs, if that's what you actually want.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisekeeper View Post
Well, if you already own these fancy mics, you still think an "even better" mic will make you sing better ? It would make more sense to spend the money on a producer, or vocal coach, or someone who can teach you to get better. More gear won't help with improving your songs, if that's what you actually want.
...not entrely correct: some folks indeed perform better knowing (or thinking) they are working with the greatest gear there is!

and a producer or vocal coach won't necessarily make someone sing 'better' when they are not the 'right' person: as in therapy, it's the relationship between people involved in a recording which can have a huge impact on results - sometimes a pet, dimming the lights etc. can do the trick too...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...not entrely correct: some folks indeed perform better knowing (or thinking) they are working with the greatest gear there is!

and a producer or vocal coach won't necessarily make someone sing 'better' when they are not the 'right' person: as in therapy, it's the relationship between people involved in a recording which can have a huge impact on results - sometimes a pet, dimming the lights etc. can do the trick too...
Not to mention that without an audio example, it’s a pretty presumptive/rude thing to say!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search