The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The right hardware compressor
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ballin View Post
Well, I think about 2/3k euros, but the budget will depend from the right choice I make For instance... if I buy the IGS ONE LA I don’t have the stereo, but if I go for the stereo which one? ...opto or vca?
I agree with your post directed to a stereo comp for more versatility. I don’t know if the R22 can give my that “high end” taste, and sadly I can not try it before buy it, here where I live!
I just got a Heritage Audio successor. $1450. It’s a diode bridge compressor that’s actually designed for the mix bus. BUT it sounds amazing and literally can be used on anything. 2 auto modes. Attack times from 50 nanoseconds to 20 milliseconds. A blend knob. Etc. I use it on the drum bus, on bass, and on the mix bus. It’s the best sounding compressor I own. But the most versatile is my distressor. But that’s mono as you know. Save your $ and get the successor
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys,
I want to upgrade my studio setup with a comp. I’ve read a lot of treads here on GS with opinions about comps. So I think to “virtually” know which compressors I would get for my studio, but I still don’t know which can be more useful with my setup. I have just an Hair Ball 1176 rev. A comp, that I like, but it’s not so useful in many applications. So I would like a comp can be less aggressive, that I can use on tracking/overdubbing/mixing vocals, guitars and basses most, but also as a bus comp. I want it to be more versatile than the 1176 I have, but I’m confused if I should get an OPTO or a VCA. I never worked with either, hardware speaking.
The gears I put my eyes on are:

- IGS ONE LA 19’ rack version (mono, opto)
- MANLEY ELOP+ (stereo, opto)
- OVERSTAYER SVC (stereo, vca)
- maybe CHANDLER Germanium Comp (mono, FET)

What do you think about this comps?
Should I get a VCA or an OPTO?
thank you guys...
Aggresive 1176 ...just lop off a few db, that should do it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys,
I want to upgrade my studio setup with a comp. I’ve read a lot of treads here on GS with opinions about comps. So I think to “virtually” know which compressors I would get for my studio, but I still don’t know which can be more useful with my setup. I have just an Hair Ball 1176 rev. A comp, that I like, but it’s not so useful in many applications. So I would like a comp can be less aggressive, that I can use on tracking/overdubbing/mixing vocals, guitars and basses most, but also as a bus comp. I want it to be more versatile than the 1176 I have, but I’m confused if I should get an OPTO or a VCA. I never worked with either, hardware speaking.
The gears I put my eyes on are:

- IGS ONE LA 19’ rack version (mono, opto)
- MANLEY ELOP+ (stereo, opto)
- OVERSTAYER SVC (stereo, vca)
- maybe CHANDLER Germanium Comp (mono, FET)

What do you think about this comps?
thank you guys...

Getting a pair of (used) Cranesong Trakkers (linked together) might be a good option for you.

They can damn well cover almost any ground, and sound great doing it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
J.Ballin,
Vernier is right.
Your 1176 is coming across as aggressive most likely because you might be hitting it too hard on the input. They don't have a threshold control. You have to control the volume you bring TO the 1176 first otherwise it gets real spanky fast. They can be quite smooth and predictable.

Distressors are super usable.
Opto's are great: La2a's, the IGS opto etc.

I think a cool opto is on the other end of the spectrum of what your 1176 is bringing.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
If you want something less aggressive I would choose an Opto.
Check out the Sebatron SMAC compressor. It's a two channel comp that can be linked for stereo operation in two different modes.
Has a function called 'Swim' which is beautifully smooth.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Thank you guys! I appreciate all your advices
I think I need both
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Check out BuzzAudio DBC20. You can pick up a used one under $1500 and they are fantastic.

https://www.buzzaudio.com/products/dbc20.htm
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think I’d go for an opto (stereo better) over the vca for it’s fast approaching to the tracks and that smoothness that I love. And wait some more for a vca..
The Retro STA is a Vari MU not a VCA.

Personally for vocal and bass tracking I prefer vari mu over opto or fet it just sounds more musical to my ears. Though an fet comp like a 76 can sound appropriate for a more aggressive up front edge.

On my mix bus I also prefer a stereo vari mu sometimes in combination with a faster vca.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Tegeler creme is a very good VCA comp and has the added bonus of a simple pultec style EQ.
Old 3 days ago
Determine your requirements first. Do you need "color" or a "sound" or for it to "do something" to the sonics or do you want a box to simply control levels?

For the first category all those suggestions above can be auditioned but that may take time + money. The second category is easy, get the Aphex 651 Expressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search