The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nagra IV-S Digitizing
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Nagra IV-S Digitizing

Good morning Slutz,

I very recently acquired a Nagra IV-S that I will be using for recording as well as a final mixdown deck. Since I do all of my production from beginning to end in-house I was wondering how I might go about getting the tapes from the Nagra onto my Sound Devices MixPre-3. Right now I use a Revox A77 as my final mixdown deck and digitizing from that is pretty straightforward (RCA line-outs to the 1/8 inch stereo in on the MixPre-3). I know that the Nagra has different outputs (looks like banana outs). What do I need to do to digitize from the Nagra?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I use one like the 2nd one down on this list, connects from the left of the Nagra near the inputs, not the right where the banana plugs are. Congrats on having such an awesome recorder, I love mine and still occasionally use it for field recording as well as studio use.

http://www.mikesfilmsound.com/USED_N...EO%20LEADS.htm
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Here's more than you'll ever need to know about the Nagra IV-S:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nagra-IV-S-Owners-Manual.pdf (2.21 MB, 17 views)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Come out of the Nagra "OUTPUT" with a Tuchel connector on the LFT side of the machine. Output is unbalanced, so you could go to 2 RCA or 2 xlr wired to be unbalanced.

You will not get the best fidelity playing the Nagra tapes on the Revox. The reason is that the track width on the Nagra is a wide track (0.75mm track separation) and the Revox is a narrow track.

So playing back on the Revox would not extract all the recorded information from the Nagra tape.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you all! I will get one of those output connectors. This thing really is a beauty. Its essentially perfect.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

That Nagra master setting is a beautiful thing, and the preamps are to die for, drive them and they will reward you well :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sombrero View Post
[...] the preamps are to die for [...]
Those pre-amps are indeed wonderful!

Do yourself a favor, and try them with a pair of Schoeps on overheads.
(Smoove to tha groove like sandwich bread.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

While i'm at it asking questions about this thing, do any of you know of anyone (or some place) in NYC to give it a once over and maybe calibrate it to my tape?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry, I am not familiar with Nagra service people in NYC. Maybe Saul Mineroff? Maybe send your machine to Trew Audio in Nashville?

Besides calibration, check the brakes on the machine, and the condition of the pinch roller and heads. Probably best to get a new pinch roller and new brakes.

For tape I recommend RTM SM911 for the Nagra. This is the French tape from the company called "Recording The Masters." SM911 is a +6 tape that works very well with the Nagra. SM468 is also a possibility but has higher noise and is more abrasive on the heads.

Besides NAB OR IEC calibration, be sure to get your machine lined up also for NagraMaster EQ. They will need a special calibration tape for NagraMaster. You can get very quiet recordings with NagraMaster EQ with the caveat that you must play back the recorded tape on THAT Nagra, not another machine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Sorry, I am not familiar with Nagra service people in NYC. Maybe Saul Mineroff? Maybe send your machine to Trew Audio in Nashville?

Besides calibration, check the brakes on the machine, and the condition of the pinch roller and heads. Probably best to get a new pinch roller and new brakes.

For tape I recommend RTM SM911 for the Nagra. This is the French tape from the company called "Recording The Masters." SM911 is a +6 tape that works very well with the Nagra. SM468 is also a possibility but has higher noise and is more abrasive on the heads.

Besides NAB OR IEC calibration, be sure to get your machine lined up also for NagraMaster EQ. They will need a special calibration tape for NagraMaster. You can get very quiet recordings with NagraMaster EQ with the caveat that you must play back the recorded tape on THAT Nagra, not another machine.
Thanks Plush, I'll make sure to get it set up with SM911! And thank you for the advice about the NagraMaster EQ, I would not have known to ask specifically to get that set up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search