The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixbus eq?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So many topologies and workflows. Chandler Curve Bender, Millenia NSEQ4, Avalon 2055, Elysia Xfilter, HDE 250, new ADesigns Hammer2, stereo 1073 clone, API5500, GR 2NV, Zahl, Swift, Gyraf...... so many options and none are right or wrong just different. Some have very strong character and distortion that will be slathered over everything you mix through it. That can be good or bad. If I had to start today and had everything else set up right and had the budget, and with all things being considered, I’d probably start with a Curve Bender for 2 Buss duties. Just enough analog flavor but not overbearing, enough variability in frequencies, and with smooth curves for sweetening. But there are so many options. You have to grab a few and test them. Maybe demo a couple of solid state parametrics, and a few tube options.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

It really is no fun for recall - to the point of being discouraging to use. On top of that it's very transparent when used lightly, which is fine. I think there are many equal but more user-friendly options available at used market prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
is anyone using a Red 2 on mix buss?

i know its non recall, but still maybe a good option at medium cost and high quality.

Buddha
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
So many topologies and workflows. Chandler Curve Bender, Millenia NSEQ4, Avalon 2055, Elysia Xfilter, HDE 250, new ADesigns Hammer2, stereo 1073 clone, API5500, GR 2NV, Zahl, Swift, Gyraf...... so many options and none are right or wrong just different. Some have very strong character and distortion that will be slathered over everything you mix through it. That can be good or bad. If I had to start today and had everything else set up right and had the budget, and with all things being considered, I’d probably start with a Curve Bender for 2 Buss duties. Just enough analog flavor but not overbearing, enough variability in frequencies, and with smooth curves for sweetening. But there are so many options. You have to grab a few and test them. Maybe demo a couple of solid state parametrics, and a few tube options.
I second the Curve Bender. Mine stays on mix bus, affecting the whole mix, but it is an incredible tracking eq as well. Some EQ’s can seem to favor individual tracks over buses or the mix, but the Curve Bender is one of those EQ’s that you could put anywhere.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
The two EQ's I have never been able to really love - but I suspect that more to do with my taste rather than a reflection on those two industry standards.
The GML is amazing partnered with a console. I don't necessarily think it's the best EQ choice for someone who's mainly ITB.

The MP IS a good choice there, but to me it's a bit fiddly for broad strokes. And it's expensive.

Which is why I love the Hammer - sensible options, and not too many of them!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The GML is amazing partnered with a console. I don't necessarily think it's the best EQ choice for someone who's mainly ITB.

The MP IS a good choice there, but to me it's a bit fiddly for broad strokes. And it's expensive.

Which is why I love the Hammer - sensible options, and not too many of them!
I agree with the GML. I had one for five years and recently sold it as whilst it DOES sound great with a console I think they’re pretty much spot on about it in the context of a ITB mixer. There are soo many that get within the ballpark for far far less etc.

With the MP which I still drape on every mix it does something to the mids that make things just pop out and be a bit more articulated which a plug is yet to do for me. That’s being said not used he UAD massive more the curvebender HW or plug so perhaps they are avenues to investigate also in the future.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search