The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Would I benefit from a Neve 88LB Pre-Amp?
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear
Should I buy a Neve 88LB 500 Series Pre-Amp?

My pre-amps are as follows,

Millennia STT-1 (dual topology pre - Solid State and Valve)
BAE 1073D
AEA RPQ 500 (ribbon pre-amp)

I was thinking of adding a Neve 88LB 500 series pre-amp after reading a very positive SOS review and a few threads on GS - and then thought I wonder if my cleanish sounding Millennia STT-1 is too much of a double up and will sound quite close to the Neve 88LB?

Has anyone tired the 88LB and also owns an SST-1 or a 1073?

Thanks

Last edited by thehightenor; 4 weeks ago at 03:21 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Anyone :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i have not (yet) used this particular neve preamp!

while i have no doubt that it's a very good piece of gear, for some versatility i would suggest getting something else:

the isa828 with its multiple impedance settings imo is a very versatile pre (which, interestingly enough, can sound pretty close to those in my mci jh500).

dave hill and crane song preamps will give you many different 'colour' options not commonly found in other preamps.

also on the clean side but different from millennia/dave hill, i like grace design pres (besides my beloved studer pres).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The millennia was my first outboard about 16 years ago!!!

it and the 88LB sound very different.

the LB is based upon a transformer input thAt then feeds a regular old IC op amp

think........Calrec

I actually prefer the clean of the LB to the millennia.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i have not (yet) used this particular neve preamp!

while i have no doubt that it's a very good piece of gear, for some versatility i would suggest getting something else:

the isa828 with its multiple impedance settings imo is a very versatile pre (which, interestingly enough, can sound pretty close to those in my mci jh500).

dave hill and crane song preamps will give you many different 'colour' options not commonly found in other preamps.

also on the clean side but different from millennia/dave hill, i like grace design pres (besides my beloved studer pres).
Thanks for those ideas.

My focus has been on the Neve 88lb as I use the UAD 88rs channel strip and I thought the hardware pre might pair well with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
The millennia was my first outboard about 16 years ago!!!

it and the 88LB sound very different.

the LB is based upon a transformer input thAt then feeds a regular old IC op amp

think........Calrec

I actually prefer the clean of the LB to the millennia.
Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I got my Millennia about 15 years ago.

I like the tube pre section with the transformer switched out and using the pre direct out. The solid state part is very cold and sterile and sounds good for a classical guitar using an AKG 451E as it's very clinical and brings out the detail and harmonics without adding any character of it's own.

I also think the Millennia is a fantastic bass DI on the tube path but that's about it for me with the Millennia, though apparently Peter Gabriel is now using the a Millennia solid state pre for his vocals so .... what do I know!

But your feedback on the Neve 88lb confirms my suspicion that the Neve will be a much nicer sounding clean pre than the Millennia solid state.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search