The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL X Desk + X Rack + Alpha Link
Old 2nd November 2019
Here for the gear

SSL X Desk + X Rack + Alpha Link

Hey guys,

I've recently ventured into doing stem mastering out of the box and purchased the most "affordable" SSL setup I can budget at the moment. I'm looking into a way of arranging this into a setup for the above but am fairly new to the process.

I have an X Desk, Alpha Link Madi AX and X Rack with the following modules.

1x SuperAnalogue EQ XM625
5x Stereo SuperAnalogue EQ XM727
1x Stereo Bus Compressor

I"m a little bit confused as to what sort of cabling I need since I have essentially 11 inputs (with the stereo EQs requiring 2), but the DB25 connector only supports 8 channels. I'll also be requiring a custom cable as the XM625 module uses XLR and the others TRS.

I know the X Desk can do 16 channels once you include the ALT inputs, but once again I'm a little out of my element in terms of how to go about setting all of this up.

I also have an RME FireFace UFX II, so I'd love to integrate the Alpha Link with this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,
Arnej
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any help is appreciated! I understand that some may not have the above gear but would really love some help on how to get all of this working together.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would put the EQ’s on the inserts. You could either get a custom cable from someone like laproaudio, or get a DB25-TRS 8 ch cable and use some adapters to CLR for the mono EQ’s. You will need DB25’s for the mix insert for the bus comp. Just check the manuals for where they plug in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I looked at the setup manual and it's pretty self explanatory for the most part but what's troubling me is whether I went overzealous on the stereo EQ's as the mixer has 8 dual mono inserts, so I"m not sure how to get 11 outputs from the EQs into the mixer through an 8 channel DSUB.

To get the compressor output going, do I need a 2 channel dsub? as the connector is a male dsub but the comp is dual XLR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamberth View Post
I would put the EQ’s on the inserts. You could either get a custom cable from someone like laproaudio, or get a DB25-TRS 8 ch cable and use some adapters to CLR for the mono EQ’s. You will need DB25’s for the mix insert for the bus comp. Just check the manuals for where they plug in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can’t get 11 channels through an 8 channel DSUB. You need 2 send and return cables. One set can handle 8 channels, the other set can handle the other 3, with 5 for other inserts or disconnected.

I’ve only used 8 channel DS is, so some channels may go unconnected, esp with the center section ones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Solid State Logic

4 of the stereo EQs on the insert points of ch 1-8. Send out 4 stereo stems from your DAW.

Bus Comp and the other stereo EQ on the Mix insert.

Mono EQ not needed.

Connector outs at the back of the manual.

If you are mixing I’d probably add a bunch more about the other 8 inputs, but if you are just stem balancing then the above is ideal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search