The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Most 70's sounding mix bus compressor?
Old 25th February 2020
Back in the 1970's Jurrasic period we would be lucky to find 3 or 4 compressors in the rack. Usually it was a 1176, LA-2 or dbx 160. They were used for tracks, not the mix. People didn't squash the crap out of stuff back then, a little dynamic range was used.

Tape saturation was far more common but carefully applied as the ME's properly aligned the recorders. Thomas Roy Baker was probably the heaviest slammer. You do want to make sure alignments are properly done and correct. Over the years I found that the tape manufacturers bias recommendations for particular machines was way off. Using a THD analyzer one can find those sweet spots as they will also vary for each track. Using high output tape will reduce the THD at those higher levels.
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Addict

I'm not a technician but are you aligning these heads in all directions (not just turning one screw on each head)? This may be wrong but I start out visually making sure all heads and guides are exactly where they should be, then start tweaking heads from there.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

he guys, found this thread might be suitable for my question.
has anyone here compared the Zener Limiter and the 2254 diode-bridge compressors or one of its clones?
the zener as well as the diode bridge utilize diodes in order to archive the compression..
do they have a similar footprint in terms of gain reduction and sound?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The old CBS Audimax Diode compressors had a softening effect to the envelope from what I remember.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Neve 33609 metal knob

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search