The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQ for U67 Vocal Chain
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
A good vintage 67 already sounds perfect, imo.
All depends on the vocalist..... I've had people that were too bright on a 48 and C12 but sounded great on a 67 and just needed a little bit of help. Pultec to the rescue. The voice is a far more unpredictable thing when it comes to what mic will sound best.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
All depends on the vocalist..... I've had people that were too bright on a 48 and C12 but sounded great on a 67 and just needed a little bit of help. Pultec to the rescue. The voice is a far more unpredictable thing when it comes to what mic will sound best.
Ah .. C12 . .another wonderful mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hope Neumann does a reissue of the M269.

Quote:
Pultec. What else ? I have a pair of M269C's so rarely need the Pultec
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Not likely to happen unless the AC701 tube is reproduced. That's an integral part of that mic. It's the main difference between the U67 (using the EF86). It really does affect the high end. To my knowledge the mics are virtually the same other than tubes. Same capsule etc. But that 701 really makes for a beautiful high end response !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Most vocals benefit from a bit of brightening up, in a modern sounding production.
this is true. very true...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not likely to happen unless the AC701 tube is reproduced. That's an integral part of that mic. It's the main difference between the U67 (using the EF86). It really does affect the high end. To my knowledge the mics are virtually the same other than tubes. Same capsule etc. But that 701 really makes for a beautiful high end response !
Pultec it is... XD
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

General EQ settings with a Pultec and U67?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Won't happen, but you can convert a 67 to an 367 (the AC701version). Takes some care and surgery, as well as a conversion to the power supply. Or you could just buy a little 269 or 367 instead.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Proxy, I can discount my vintage Aphex Type C Exciter...

To only $999.99, so you can REALLY brighten those vocals up! Free shipping included! Grab your shades. (protective lead shield not included)
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Aphex Type C Exciter...
autsch! - spl tube vitalizer (after any good eq) or crane song hedd.
we're talking mixing here, right? hpf for tracking...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The mod to open up the top end is just cutting 1 wire think.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BTW, vocal is something I never EQ when I track. Two reasons: Voices change from day to day, and I always want to be able to repeat exactly. An EQ setting one day might sound bad on that same voice the next day. That being said, if it's not a detented setting, I can't do an exact recall if I ever have to do fixes after the fact.

But ... if I needed to use an EQ while tracking vocals, it would probably be the EQP1A.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For those who use a Pultec (HW or software), how do you typically EQ a U67 vocal as far as setting choices, process, etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
For those who use a Pultec (HW or software), how do you typically EQ a U67 vocal as far as setting choices, process, etc.
Research the Pultec curve. This will give you a general idea where to start. Also if you wish, in your plug-ins, take a look at some pre sets by others and listen to the effects. There is not one setting, The 1A3 is a great tool once you experience it.

Here are a few settings with different gear that was used with a 67. It’s not going to be the same every time
Attached Thumbnails
EQ for U67 Vocal Chain-d0d44446-7d55-49ac-a420-256f5556e882.jpg   EQ for U67 Vocal Chain-35140629-8b87-445c-9e8a-77cb7c41a605.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

My notes on Val Garay chain:

U67 > API (or BAE w/1122) pre > API 525 comp > 550A eq

The secret to the un-modded U67 is that is opens up and starts glowing when you put a high shelf on it. That's the secret to the Val Garay chain. He's pretty consistently using a 10K shelf on a 550A to open it up, as he says in his blog. he uses a broad 200hz peak quite often to shape the lows.

Another tidbit: add a lot of 20k lang peq2 + 4db, aphex put on send
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
BTW, vocal is something I never EQ when I track. .
that is a safe way of doing it. there is nothing wrong with that.

but just to balance the discussion i will say that i always EQ to tape.
i listen for things in the voice that i like, and then i try to bring those things out.

and the same for things i don't like, but in reverse.

vocal EQ is never very extreme, so gentle moves work fine for me.
Fatten it out a bit, or take off the edge. what ever works

also i have never had a problem with replication. actually the opersite. i adjust the vocal sounds as the singers voice alters. if its a long session and they start getting raspy i fix that.

But JJs way is more common these days, and has some advantages.
Old 2 weeks ago
Motown legend

A stock 67 can be eq'd to sound great on almost anybody in the mix. The modded ones work with some singers but not others.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The modded ones work with some singers but not others.
Respectfully, that's an absolute statement I question, for its lack of specificity. Please name the type of U67 "mod" that will make mixing voices harder.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just curious, on a Warm Lyric Soprano voiced singer, other things beings equal... What would you guys tend to reach for, a quality U67 or U47 style vocal microphone?
Thanks, Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Respectfully, that's an absolute statement I question, for its lack of specificity. Please name the type of U67 "mod" that will make mixing voices harder.
The ones where the sibilance filter is removed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Agreed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don’t know that the singer register would influence that choice as much as music style, at least for me.

67 seems to have a specialness that is “just right” to me that could apply to many styles of music.

I would reach for a 47 for something more overtly special, wearing its vintage vibe proudly on its sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Just curious, on a Warm Lyric Soprano voiced singer, other things beings equal... What would you guys tend to reach for, a quality U67 or U47 style vocal microphone?
Thanks, Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Proxy. With the braintrust assembled here already, even personal preference is thought worthy for me.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I do not wish to derail the thread (which is on the vocal chain), but would like to take advantage of the real world experience with these mics of those participating here if possible...My question: between a 67 and a 47-style clone (Flea or other) which one do you think is more versatile, specifically - besides use with vocals - also with acoustic stringed instruments?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Get a silver bullet - the air band is a lovely high shelf and the rest of the box is darn useful. A nice quality pre alternative - plus the usual mojo in the mix duties. A rare commodity - a jack of all trades which does every trade well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
I do not wish to derail the thread (which is on the vocal chain), but would like to take advantage of the real world experience with these mics of those participating here if possible...My question: between a 67 and a 47-style clone (Flea or other) which one do you think is more versatile, specifically - besides use with vocals - also with acoustic stringed instruments?
Anyone would do really. I was a bit disappointed with my u67 (and the u67 in general) when I first got my hands on one. I dislike the lowmid mudd and the lowpass.

A good u47 clone sounds good on about anything. A bit more bite in the mids and ofc allot thicker around 400hz which can easily be eq'd out.

a u67 is a bit one-fit-all mic and allot of people love it. I'd rather go u47, 251 plus coles 4038. That would work on anything.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Old 2 weeks ago
Motown legend

Shooting out microphones can absolutely kill the vibe of a performance which is the whole point of making a recording.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Shooting out microphones can absolutely kill the vibe of a performance which is the whole point of making a recording.
It's a great idea -- essential, even -- to do that on your own time with your own guinea pig so your first guess on an actual session will be a good one.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 2 weeks ago at 06:16 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I guess I'm an exception that proves the rule...

I'd love to shoot out, via recording, some "real" vintage classics (ala 47/67/C12 etc.) sometime.

BTW please forgive my "Soprano" question.
I realize the "case by case" aspect of it.

It was asked for if when I help record a female friend of mine. And also for when I sing in Countertenor.
Turns out my falsetto, for primarily Classic Soul Music, is a High Soprano!
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search