The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
STEREO UNIT to Enhance ITB mixing
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by androlic View Post
If you are residing in Europe, don't forget to calculate import taxes and shipping to the silver bullet unit.

I am considering getting a sb and it would cost me arround 700 € taxes and shipping to germany!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdes View Post
Yes - Slovakia.
Thats the only reason why I didnt buy it yet. It sucks
I agree with @ androlic . Totally worth it. For me, the SB is worth it even if it cost 2X's as much. BUT....

if budget is a problem :

AES 2019: Louder Than Liftoff Announces Chroma+ Rackmount Bus/Mic/Instrument Amp

Almost as good IMO. Different. But super cool.
Old 18th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I agree with @ androlic . Totally worth it. For me, the SB is worth it even if it cost 2X's as much. BUT....

if budget is a problem :

AES 2019: Louder Than Liftoff Announces Chroma+ Rackmount Bus/Mic/Instrument Amp

Almost as good IMO. Different. But super cool.
Thanks! What can Silver bullet do that this new chroma can't ? If we are talking about MIX BUS use only.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks! What can Silver bullet do that this new chroma can't ? If we are talking about MIX BUS use only.
I like to think of the Silver Bullet as a 2 channel dual architecture (API and NEVE simultaneously) console. 1 Stereo Channel into Master section, into secondary Master section into mastering style EQ,

The Chroma plus is the same console - two dual mono or single stereo channels. Either API OR Neve, but not at the same time, then direct out of the console, with preset EQ, and an insert (the Colour Plug In slot).

Hope that makes sense. It's a little abstract....
Old 18th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I like to think of the Silver Bullet as a 2 channel dual architecture (API and NEVE simultaneously) console. 1 Stereo Channel into Master section, into secondary Master section into mastering style EQ,

The Chroma plus is the same console - two dual mono or single stereo channels. Either API OR Neve, but not at the same time, then direct out of the console, with preset EQ, and an insert (the Colour Plug In slot).

Hope that makes sense. It's a little abstract....
aah OK! So the difference is - you cannot use combinations Api into Neve and EQ is fixed preset right ?
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
aah OK! So the difference is - you cannot use combinations Api into Neve and EQ is fixed preset right ?
Yes. Kind of. You can approximate with putting a Royal Blue (Neve) or Mass Drivr (API) into the colour slot. They are close, but not identical to the SB topology.

However, if you do the A channel into the B channel in Mega Mono Mode. Then you can get very close and you actually have MORE mojo options than the Silver Bullet. But.....you only have a mono channel, and you are correct - the EQ is preset. Also, you'd need two Chroma+'s for stereo doing that.

for me, the real strength of the Silver Bullet is combining those two separate topologies - API & Neve into one. That's where my magic lies.

It's definitely worth checking out Chroma+ on the LTL website. For sure I'll be getting at least a couple of them.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by androlic View Post
If you are residing in Europe, don't forget to calculate import taxes and shipping to the silver bullet unit.

I am considering getting a sb and it would cost me arround 700 € taxes and shipping to germany!
Is importtax a fixed percentage?
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Is importtax a fixed percentage?
I believe Import tax is the same as regular tax (MwSt) in germany =19%. Then there is customs duty as well. Customs can vary depending on the type of goods. I think the silver bullet would fall under music instruments and the customs here are between 3-4%. Customs and tax has to be calculated for the item and shipping rate together.

If you have a related business you can deduct the import tax. However i guess you can non deduct the customs fee.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear
I've decided to buy a SB and I'm in the UK, the VAT, import duty and post office handerling does collectively approach approx 30% in total but my thinking is simple ....

The SB is a unit I'm planning on bringing me 20 years of joy and great music making, and even 1 year from now I'm going to have forgotten about annoying VAT and import duty and only be reflecting on the great music I've produced with the help of the SB.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I've decided to buy a SB and I'm in the UK, the VAT, import duty and post office handerling does collectively approach approx 30% in total but my thinking is simple ....

The SB is a unit I'm planning on bringing me 20 years of joy and great music making, and even 1 year from now I'm going to have forgotten about annoying VAT and import duty and only be reflecting on the great music I've produced with the help of the SB.

Congrats @ thehightenor !

Guys - the reality is, if we sold through dealers, the price would be significantly higher, and then you wouldn't have to pay the import duties - BUT - you WOULD be paying the dealer markup. We're 100% sure it would cost you more than now if we were selling through dealers. That's why Brad only sells direct. Just saying...

Brad and I have spoken about this in great lengths, because we love our EU AE brethren. We want to spread the love as painlessly as possible. If you have any detailed questions, Brad has dealt with these issues from Day 1 and knows all the facts.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by casiotone View Post
I do. It toke me quite a while to get the grips of it for the master bus, but now is one of my favourite units, agree it's not for beginners at all, and the tiny controls are a PITA, the unit probably should have been 3u and it would be great if it had a way to limit the range of the controls.

But, when you get how to use it, there's nothing that sounds like it.

First, the input you're using matters a lot on the source material (pre/transformer/clean) - i can't tell you what works with which material, is very program dependent, i have it on a patch bay and try what's works best. So, gain-staging matters!

Second, parallel processing ONLY, that's the beauty of it, because i pass the clean signal and basically add the processing i need to the clean stereo, instead of trying to change the direct.

It's the most flexible unit of them and the most radical, and it's not a set and forget, but can really shape the signal deeply. Also sounds awesome (all of them do, really)
The font color and size on the Modular Channel might cause me to sell it. Such a strange design for a studio setting. It’s VERY hard for me to read in dim light.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The SB to Sweden is €2700, $3000 or £2300

It’s pricey but really good and very useful, love it

Tight + vintage filters = super

The eq is great, mojo is great

A bit disappointed about the Chroma+, would have liked to see 2U, both A & N plus 3 colour slots

Would have liked a classic tube pre/mojo amp in the SB, a vari q mid band filter and less space “wasted” on the front panel (love the led meter but it could have been made tighter and less leaking brightness and the huge space dude looking like a 90’s snowboard is eating up valuable space)

I’d also would have preferred the non detented alpha pots as they’re buttery (most good eurorack modules use those)

I won’t part with my SB unless there’s an upgraded version coming out and even then I might keep it
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
The SB to Sweden is €2700, $3000 or £2300

It’s pricey but really good and very useful, love it

Tight + vintage filters = super

The eq is great, mojo is great

A bit disappointed about the Chroma+, would have liked to see 2U, both A & N plus 3 colour slots

Would have liked a classic tube pre/mojo amp in the SB, a vari q mid band filter and less space “wasted” on the front panel (love the led meter but it could have been made tighter and less leaking brightness and the huge space dude looking like a 90’s snowboard is eating up valuable space)

I’d also would have preferred the non detented alpha pots as they’re buttery (most good eurorack modules use those)

I won’t part with my SB unless there’s an upgraded version coming out and even then I might keep it
2300? How ? :D Import duty, shipping....would be around 100 - 200 eu in that case which is perfect.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
2300? How ? :D Import duty, shipping....would be around 100 - 200 eu in that case which is perfect.
First you have to add shipping to the price then the import tax and handling then the VAT

UK has 20% VAT, Sweden has 25%
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Congrats @ thehightenor !

Guys - the reality is, if we sold through dealers, the price would be significantly higher, and then you wouldn't have to pay the import duties - BUT - you WOULD be paying the dealer markup. We're 100% sure it would cost you more than now if we were selling through dealers. That's why Brad only sells direct. Just saying...

Brad and I have spoken about this in great lengths, because we love our EU AE brethren. We want to spread the love as painlessly as possible. If you have any detailed questions, Brad has dealt with these issues from Day 1 and knows all the facts.
Hey Doc, I do have a question for you regarding the SB.

I'm currently using Slate Digital VCC 2.0 (which has been pretty good in truth for a DSP tool)

The VCC plugin is in the channel plugin and the stereo bus plugin - Mr Slate says they emulate the consoles amplification in these locations - channel and stereo bus.

Does the SB replace both parts of VCC or just the stereo bus part and I should keep using the channel plugin part?

I know experimenting is the answer - but I'm just just looking for a perspective from the point of view of using the original design idea behind the SB.

Also, if I'm tracking with my BAE 1073 into my STA Level, I normally go direct to my HEDD 192 converter - would you go into the SB bullet first and then onto the HEDD 192?

Or is the "Track" part of the SB aimed at synth DI's and when using the SB's pre's?

I do realise there's no fixed rules - I'm just trying to get a handle on the myriad of options and intended design workflows.

Then when I finally get my SB, I'll have a bit of an opening game play :-)

Thanks
tht
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

I'm currently using Slate Digital VCC 2.0 (which has been pretty good in truth for a DSP tool)

The VCC plugin is in the channel plugin and the stereo bus plugin - Mr Slate says they emulate the consoles amplification in these locations - channel and stereo bus.

Does the SB replace both parts of VCC or just the stereo bus part and I should keep using the channel plugin part?

I know experimenting is the answer - but I'm just just looking for a perspective from the point of view of using the original design idea behind the SB.

Also, if I'm tracking with my BAE 1073 into my STA Level, I normally go direct to my HEDD 192 converter - would you go into the SB bullet first and then onto the HEDD 192?

Or is the "Track" part of the SB aimed at synth DI's and when using the SB's pre's?

I do realise there's no fixed rules - I'm just trying to get a handle on the myriad of options and intended design workflows.

Thanks
tht
Hey man - I haven't used 2.0. When the SB was in development, I was experimenting with and using 1.x because I liked the CONCEPT of what Slate was after. But I was encountering mixed (mostly not so great) results with it. At that exact point in time, my ears were used to hearing all the hardware I had been cobbling together in an attempt to create a console sound. Exactly what the SB now does sonically, elegantly and ergonomically so well.

But, for awhile...I kept trying with VCC. And I couldn't get it to do what I wanted. And also, it just wasn't ergonomically right for me. Once we finished the first proto proto of the SB and I got it into my everyday work flow, all my clients kept telling me to take VCC off and only use the SB.

That was good enough for me. I haven't even thought about VCC since then. Of course, experimentation is key, but I'd guess that you'll leave it behind in the dust once you get the SB dialed into your work flow.

Maybe some other guys who have used VCC will chime in. Good luck!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
tht
I used to use VCC/True Iron/Console5/AA preamps etc. None of them come close to the SB if you run channels through it. Night and day.

I don't feel any need to process busses with the SB. If you're keeping it on the mixbus only, Console5 is a better alternative for channels, although you need post fader inserts otherwise it's a bit of a pain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There's a Fat Bustard on eBay at the moment for £1800 which might fit your bill. I mix into one sometimes and the saturation knob along with its inherent sound is quite impressive and impacting. Also you'd get the benefit of being able to sum if that ever suits your work flow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhollos View Post
There's a Fat Bustard on eBay at the moment for £1800 which might fit your bill. I mix into one sometimes and the saturation knob along with its inherent sound is quite impressive and impacting. Also you'd get the benefit of being able to sum if that ever suits your work flow.
Must've been taken down... it isn't there or under Sold. I'm in the market for one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Must've been taken down... it isn't there or under Sold. I'm in the market for one.
Here you go dude:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/f...xer/1355716768
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
My man, thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is a v1 but at that price is still a good deal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
For those interested, there are some comparison tests / clips on the big SB thread done by Paul G of each of the above boxes (Fusion excluded as it didn't exist yet). The SB came out as the favorite, but it can give you an idea in the different vibe of each in comparison to each other.
Could you point me to where this example is please, damned if I can find it and I checked that thread.

What was being compared, preamps, eq?

Snapshot of the Moduler Channel is maybe not the best way to decide if this is the right unit, it has a pretty wide gamut of uses and roles it plays, you’d be doing a disservice basing your opinion on one sample on this unit.

Haven’t tried the SB but will next week, wanted to listen to the samples you mentioned came out as favourite, so as to get a taster, til I get a chance to explore it, but couldn’t find them at all.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie-1 View Post
Could you point me to where this example is please, damned if I can find it and I checked that thread.

What was being compared, preamps, eq?

Snapshot of the Moduler Channel is maybe not the best way to decide if this is the right unit, it has a pretty wide gamut of uses and roles it plays, you’d be doing a disservice basing your opinion on one sample on this unit.

Haven’t tried the SB but will next week, wanted to listen to the samples you mentioned came out as favourite, so as to get a taster, til I get a chance to explore it, but couldn’t find them at all.
Hi Vinnie! Hmmmm....sorry, but I checked it and another thread that I thought it might be on and I was wrong. For the life of me, I can't remember what thread it was on now.... If I can find it I'll chime back in here, but until then maybe send a PM to @ Paul_G . He might remember which thread he posted them on.

Enjoy your Silver Bullet when you get it. In the meantime, I'll keep looking.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

No worries drBill, cheers for looking!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to use VCC/True Iron/Console5/AA preamps etc. None of them come close to the SB if you run channels through it. Night and day.
Care to explain abit more? One guy here mentioned that with true iron he did not feel so much the need anymore to process tracks through the SB...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
Would have liked a classic tube pre/mojo amp in the SB, a vari q mid band filter and less space “wasted” on the front panel)
Me too. An extra tube section and it would have been really a complete front end unit.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Care to explain abit more? One guy here mentioned that with true iron he did not feel so much the need anymore to process tracks through the SB...
I used to feel that way—True Iron is great and effortless to use—but imo the result from running channels through the SB is a level above. I don't want to bore you (or myself!) with the usual hyperbole, it's all about glue with separation; elements are more connected yet placed in their own space. I realise that sounds like an oxymoron but it's the most concise way I can explain it.

Working ITB is my preference and there are specific plugins that negate my desire for hardware (Brighton, MDE, Weiss DS-1, StageOne, Magpha, Crave, select TimP Nebula comps/EQs etc.) but nothing I've tested can match what the SB gives me for that sound I'm after.

I'm sure other people with much more skill and experience than myself feel that way about hardware that I've dismissed, but hey ho, we all do our own thing :¬)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to feel that way—True Iron is great and effortless to use—but imo the result from running channels through the SB is a level above. I don't want to bore you (or myself!) with the usual hyperbole, it's all about glue with separation; elements are more connected yet placed in their own space. I realise that sounds like an oxymoron but it's the most concise way I can explain it.

Working ITB is my preference and there are specific plugins that negate my desire for hardware (Brighton, MDE, Weiss DS-1, StageOne, Magpha, Crave, select TimP Nebula comps/EQs etc.) but nothing I've tested can match what the SB gives me for that sound I'm after.

I'm sure other people with much more skill and experience than myself feel that way about hardware that I've dismissed, but hey ho, we all do our own thing :¬)
Thanks for your response. And I do get it: the SB saturates like nothing else in plugin land (=glue and connection between elements) with unique great harmonics (separation and own space of sound). Electrical gear (thus hardware) always electrifies sound also like no plugin can.
I will surely investigate your plugin list further!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search