The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
One vocal mic 4-5000 $ suggestions?
Old 1 week ago
One vocal mic 4-5000 $ suggestions?

Hello and thanks for taking the time!

At the moment, I am willing to invest 4-5000$ on a tube microphone dedicated to first and foremost singing/voice.

I'd rather go for something versatile than a so called one trick pony. Having the ability to just change it to omni for room recording might be interesting aswell.

My voice can be heard on this song (the room I currently record in) Both acoustic guitar and vocals recorded in seperate takes with AEA R88. No comp on the way in, nor in the session besides master limiter. Did some pretty broad EQ on both acoustic guitar and vocal in the session.

Here's another recording done at my previous bands rehearsal space (I did the recordings).
Vocal mic is Sontronics Omega tube.

The best most serious used deals I can see near me is a used Neumann M 149 for 3200$, a Manley Gold Reference for 3450 $, a Telefunke AR51 for around 1400$. There is a Voxorama 47 and a Grosser 47 and C12 clone out for around the same price, roughly 6000$. I am open to other microphones.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 9620d79
Quote:
Originally Posted by allfar View Post

At the moment, I am willing to invest 4-5000$ on a tube microphone dedicated to first and foremost singing/voice.

I'd rather go for something versatile than a so called one trick pony.

The best used deals i can see near me is a used Neumann M 149 for 3200$ and a Bock 407 for 2700$. I am open to other microphones.

If you think it's important. you can hear my voice on this song:
https://soundcloud.com/heljehovgode/mot-fjell-og-rotter

I’m not sure what they’re going for these days, but a LOMO 19A13 is an excellent VERY top-tier tube condenser. It has a very slim profile (as most of the guts are in the power supply) and a very pleasingly real sound. It sounds like what your ears would hear if you had perfect hearing. A much more hi-Fi version of an RE-15, but it still has that natural “sounds like I’m in the room vibe.” Good off-axis rejection. A very versatile mic. They may be getting hard to find. I don’t know. But the 19A13 is the only LOMO I recommend, though they make many other great mics.
Other than that, I know they get overlooked, but I’ve been using Gefell UM 92’s and UM92.1’s for years. I just put a NOS Mullard British Military EF86 from the 60’s (maybe? It’s slipping my mind) in my UM92.1s, and it sounds beautiful. The tube came from Bowie. You get an M7 capsule, and the Gefell’s can be found for under $2k. Ask anybody who has used one with a good quiet tube in it, and they’ll tell you what a serious mic it is.

Other than that, for versatility, you can’t go wrong with a Sony C-500 or a C-47. Nevermind, I forgot you want tubes. I’m not much help. Sorry. Good luck. For $4~5K, you’ll find something stellar, no doubt. My tastes aren’t often textbook on the mark, so take them with a salt bath.

Best,

Newhart
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The best used deals i can see near me is a used Neumann M 149 for 3200$ and a Bock 407 for 2700$. I am open to other microphones.

Lately I see quite a bit of threads like this..

Anyway since it's for your vocals (mainly), I'd strong suggest to test some contenders out in your place and with your gear/preamp/room.

The M149 could be a great option indeed, works quite well on a varity of vocals, doesn't have the "typical" Neumann midrange..it's more smooth while still being "modern". (to be very precise is not a tube mic in the very sense of the term, it has an output tube stage, but it's a nice sounding mic that if bought used will be really a great deal...they usually go for around 2500 US$, so the one you saw it's a little bit too expensive imho).

the Neumann U67 reissue might also work well on your type of vocals, generally speaking..if fit yours specifically is difficult to answer.. you have to try it. it will have that Neumann midrange thing.. nice workhorse.

Burg M1, Andreas Grosser is behind this.. it looks it has all the best part of the classics, while not being too "old school" sounding.. looks like another great high quality workhorse and looks like it not only can handle high SPL but manages to deal very well the sibilances while being open sounding (which is usually a place where a lot of mics fall short imho, especially compared to some great mics of the past).

Manley Silver might also be a good contender, nice piece. Josephson capsule and Manley tube circuit.. looks like a great combination.
Or a Manley Gold used if you're after a more "modern" presentation is desired.

there are several other options of course.. I'd suggest to stay away from the elcheapo clones in general, not worth the time and money in the medium/long run. Maybe try some good ribbons as well, although they are not a tube LDC (like an RCA77 or an AEA44).

In any case I suggest to test as many mics as you could, you might find a mic that will fit like a glove.. and this is not even a matter of price (although having a quality piece might help to handle some processing better and will help in the long run as well).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If it is only for you, then versatility isn't important. You want to find a mic that works well for your voice. This means demoing a lot of them. Your budget buys a lot of choices. So if you are going to spend that much money, take the time to really find one that works for you.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to spend $200 for an hour or two of studio time at a studio that has a "zillion" high quality mics. A lot of studios want a three hour minimum booking. But if you are flexible on time and offer cash, they might be willing to have you demo some mics on a off hour or two. If it takes 8 minutes to set-up/record/tear-down a mic, that's 15 mics in two hours. You won't be able to demo/return that many mics from a store. So you can get a lot of discovery done in a hurry this way.

It's kind of lost money, but it also helps you reduce the chance of buying the wrong mic. And with your budget, it's important to make the right buy.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 9620d79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
If it is only for you, then versatility isn't important. You want to find a mic that works well for your voice. This means demoing a lot of them. Your budget buys a lot of choices. So if you are going to spend that much money, take the time to really find one that works for you.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to spend $200 for an hour or two of studio time at a studio that has a "zillion" high quality mics. A lot of studios want a three hour minimum booking. But if you are flexible on time and offer cash, they might be willing to have you demo some mics on a off hour or two. If it takes 8 minutes to set-up/record/tear-down a mic, that's 15 mics in two hours. You won't be able to demo/return that many mics from a store. So you can get a lot of discovery done in a hurry this way.

It's kind of lost money, but it also helps you reduce the chance of buying the wrong mic. And with your budget, it's important to make the right buy.
This is the best response you can hope for. I’m too dumb to have thought of this approach. But there is no substitution for your own ears. I only mentioned the LOMO and Gefell because they sound best on my voice. And I only found that out through having them thoughtfully put in front of me by people like Albini and Michael Crow, and I realized how comfortable they sounded to me, so I kept using them. I’ve tried plenty of others that I’d never use again ON ME. So, I think renting some time at a studio with a great mic locker is indeed the best idea. It’s worth $600 just to have a clue as to what you are gonna spend your remaining $4400 on, than it is to drop $5000 while you’re just whistling in the dark. You really have ample budget to find something great. Listen to whatever you can, and buy what sounds great. No need to overcomplicate things. Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Put one of AEA's 44 line of ribbons, on your short list. I think they would work very well on your voice.
But you'd need a very good sounding room.

So...
How "treated" is your room?
Chris
P.S. Excellent voice!
Old 1 week ago
You could probably have Klaus make you something nice

If you haven’t heard a Chandler Redd that’s probably worth a listen (esp in a nice sounding room)

If that was my budget I’d want to listen to a 67
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

That’s a nice tune
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What are we hearing on the linked clip? What microphone, how far from your mouth, and was it compressed and EQd? I genuinely like certain qualities of your voice, but in order to recommend a mic that would enhance those qualities, it would help to know what the starting reference is.
Old 1 week ago
Thanks for the replies everyone!! I will answer as best I can, but be patient as my vocabulary and knowledge is by no means very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to spend $200 for an hour or two of studio time at a studio that has a "zillion" high quality mics.
Great advice, thank you! Sent an email immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
You could probably have Klaus make you something nice

If you haven’t heard a Chandler Redd that’s probably worth a listen (esp in a nice sounding room)

If that was my budget I’d want to listen to a 67
Just checked the Redd mic out. I think it sounds very pleasing!
I also love the sound of the u 67, but not sure I want 'so much character'. Well, I don't know. That's why I'm here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestarfire View Post
That’s a nice tune
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Put one of AEA's 44 line of ribbons, on your short list. I think they would work very well on your voice.
But you'd need a very good sounding room.

So...
How "treated" is your room?
Chris
P.S. Excellent voice!
I actually have the stereo r88 ribbon from AEA, which I am considering selling along with the rpq2, just because of the feeling of fragility of it and the lack of space I have. I just hate having to have that 'fear'. But it's a fantastic mic and

The r88 have a pretty big area of proximity effect. How's it on the 44?

The room is 375 cm x 420 cm with a height of 260 cm, so you can say I work with what I have. It's not treated in any scientifically way, but I have 20 absorber panels lazily placed around the room. 4 of them to block off the window. (see attachment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
What are we hearing on the linked clip? What microphone, how far from your mouth, and was it compressed and EQd? I genuinely like certain qualities of your voice, but in order to recommend a mic that would enhance those qualities, it would help to know what the starting reference is.
Both the guitar and vocals were done on a AEA r88 ribbon (seperate takes). The microphone has a great sound to it, but has a huge proximity effect.
Can't recall exactly my positioning, but I guess 30-50 cm from the mic depending on the phrasing.

None of the tracks were compressed in the way in, nor in my Studio One session. I hand automated the levels of the vocals throughout the tune and had to do some deep and wide strokes with the EQ to have it where it's at now. I am only an amateur mixer & engineer, so I only try to do what I think is right in the moment.

There is a Softube Weiss compressor limiter plugin on the masterbus of this version.

Having a dedicated vocal mic i can easily switch to omni for drum room recording is something that I think I like the thought of.
Attached Thumbnails
One vocal mic 4-5000 $ suggestions?-dsc_1019.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Besides the tune I posted above (which is recorded in the room above),
here you can hear my voice in a different setting in a different room. (a roughly treated rehearsal space).

The vocal mic on this session is a Sontronics Omega tube mic.

All tracks were recorded by me for my band, so I can answer any further questions.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
The Omega is closer to what I would be looking for on your voice. Unfortunately, it is not a mic I’ve seen or used in the US, so it only makes me lean in the direction I think you’re already going, which is toward one of the many excellent premier tube LDCs.
I do also hear a need for some quality compression to keep the vocal consistently clear above the track.
I think your best course is the one already posted. Get three hours in a studio that actually has some of the mics you would like to hear. And if you aren’t sure after that test that you have identified the winner, don’t hesitate to do it again in another studio with a different mic locker. Bring a mix of your backing tracks to record, and get a multitrack copy of the session from the studio so you can go home and hear each mic with and without backing. You can spend unlimited time at home to compare the mics.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Vintage Sony c-37a, Chandler redd mic, Soyuz su-19 are all excellent choices within your budget. I own the Sony but, would be happy with any of these as my main vocal mic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Tonelux JC37 also.

Regarding the 44, the strong proximity effect is part of why I love it so much!
R84 has milder proximity. Also great.
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

IMHO...
Heiserman U47 tube/Tonelux JC 37/Bock Soundelux U99.
Any of those three = "mission accomplished".
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
IMHO...
Heiserman U47 tube/Tonelux JC 37/Bock Soundelux U99.
Any of those three = "mission accomplished".
Chris
Where can I hear this Heiserman mic?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Your voice sounds a little strident. If that is your natural character the 44 would be my choice too. We can only go by your mixes but a dry solo vocal with no eq or limiter would better inform.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm one of those people who'd actually call the company, to speak with them. (I first met all their crew in person BTW) Cool/friendly guys.
There's at least one YouTube video on their 47 tube, and if you search here... Probably some clips.

Of course, "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing", of demo-ing anything.
Chris
Old 13 hours ago
+1 for the M149. 3200 (used) is not too bad depending on the condition. Bought mine for 3800 a while back. Great mic! Like others said, it does not get too "mid-forward" and is well balanced with a slight open on the top end. I bought if after i bought the U87 because i felt there was something still lacking. Both are great microphones. I also heard the Burg M1 a few weeks ago and sounds great.

Brauner microphones are also a very good option. Honestly, when you go upwards of 4000 almost anything acknowledged / tried and tested you purchase will be very good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search