The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EMT 156!!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th June 2007
Gear Addict

EMT 156!!!

Slutz,

does any of you have service manual in PDF or copy of printed manual for EMT 156 compressor!? We have 3 of these beasts and want to fully recap them all. Schematics are needed, so if anyone wants to share or sell the copy, we're here!

Thanks. I hope someone has it.

Regards.
Old 10th June 2007
Gear Addict

You may want to contact Tony Merrill at Stephen Paul Audio...Stephen told me
a few times that the EMT156 was his absolute favorite compressor due to the PWM
method it uses. I would bet they have the schematic somewhere in the shop.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd love to get schematics/service manual as well for this beast.
Mine could use some service to.
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

Try Dan Alexander and / or James Gangwer... every time I ever ran across one of those things it was broken and I used to sell them to Dan who apparently had James bring them back to life. I've never heard one work properly but have heard from folks I trust that it's a beautiful thing when they work [sorta like an old Jaguar I guess].
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have one that works. I own most of the "must have" types of compressor/limiters, but I gotta tell ya, this one is something else. As I understand it the PDM detection circuit is an early digital type and so the topology is very complex, and prone to failure, apparently. I know that the Crane Song Trakkers are based on the EMT's design. The sound? Well, imagine you're real good at moving a fader up and down to get the dynamics you want. Yep, it can be a little boring for some, but for some of you it might be what you dream about.
If you thought compressors have to be either vari-mu's, fets, vca's or opto's, thing again, The EMT PDM 156 is a mastering/broadcast grade high end compressor/limiter that is the most transparent you're likely to ever hear, if you ever get to hear one that actually works!
Old 3rd February 2016
Here for the gear

I love mine, works magic on a mix
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search