The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mic pre to compliment Manley ref c silver bullet vs 1073 clone
Old 4 weeks ago
  #31
Gear Maniac
 

All that sales talk

Get a 1066/73 and a 312/512 and be done with
Old 4 weeks ago
  #32
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
For @ Lyricalgenius81 - re : your mic-pre comparison question There are several folks on that long thread that have sold their high end Neve / API pre's after using the Silver Bullet for mic pre duty. Of course, your preference will be your own, but there are others out there who have done exactly that. I wish I could point you directly to the posts mentioning that, but the thread has grown beyond immense at this point, and it's buried somewhere in the distant rubble of love....

My personal opinion - biased as it is - is that the mic pre in the Silver Bullet is world class. We took the best of the best and mixed it into the box with optimum iron and DOA's. Of course, I'd suggest trying for yourself. One man's heaven can be another man's hell..... and YMMV as they say.

One thing that is indisputable - and I eluded to it in my earlier post - you can get a Nevapi or Apineve mic pre out of the box. Which is completely unique, and really super cool in my book. Capable of heft and punch at the same time, along with super saturated if desired. Also capable of incredible beauty and open-ness as is evidenced in this clip with ONE STEREO MIC AND ONE SILVER BULLET : https://soundcloud.com/mintelligence/lmix/s-mAaFM

Good luck with your search!

bp
Thanks drbill thanks for the heads up. Going by consensus I wouldn’t argue as the silverbullet seems to have a very good reputation on the forum. Although it’s a big chunk of money for me I will consider getting it, it seems like good value for money when you consider its multiple uses !
Old 4 weeks ago
  #33
Lives for gear
 

I just try to make "nice demos". If I was making commercial release recordings though even just selling CD's "from the stage"), the Silver Bullet would be a no-brainer.
Great "value", due to all the optional uses. The serious Project Studio owner, ought to take it seriously too IMHO.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #34
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricalgenius81 View Post
Thanks drbill thanks for the heads up. Going by consensus I wouldn’t argue as the silverbullet seems to have a very good reputation on the forum. Although it’s a big chunk of money for me I will consider getting it, it seems like good value for money when you consider its multiple uses !
Well you can't be a lyrical genius if you can't afford the best man. Btw you also need a serious mic like the c800g. Can you afford that or no? This is the high end forum not the bargain end forum.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
So what I need to know now is, is the silver bullet better sounding than the Redd or Aurora stinger? You're telling me I have to sell all my pres? I've never tried the silver bullet, only heard samples, sounds pretty good from what I heard, I'm just not sure that it's better than the redd. Reminded me of the chandler little devil a bit, where you can dial in the sound you want.
I have both the SB and the Chandler REDD pre. Both are great but different.

Have you used the Little Devel Pre? I've been interested/curious about it for some time.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #36
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Well you can't be a lyrical genius if you can't afford the best man. Btw you also need a serious mic like the c800g. Can you afford that or no? This is the high end forum not the bargain end forum.
No I wouldn’t be able to afford the Sony c800 I’m obviously not as “big-time” as you. But considering i only started producing two years ago my little bedroom studio is not too shabby! Besides I think the Manley is a serious mic!

As for my lyrical ability the only kit I need for that is my brain and mouth.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #37
Nothing at this level is going to make or break your recording.

Commercial? Go Neve for bragging rights.

Doing this for yourself? Do whichever one.

I like BAE and AML.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #38
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricalgenius81 View Post
No I wouldn’t be able to afford the Sony c800 I’m obviously not as “big-time” as you. But considering i only started producing two years ago my little bedroom studio is not too shabby! Besides I think the Manley is a serious mic!

As for my lyrical ability the only kit I need for that is my brain and mouth.
I doubt your brain and mouth will be enough, considering you're too old anyway to make it big. my advice to you, choose a preamp, any, and start recording.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Post like this one, is why I started the "Can We Get Along Better?" type thread recently...
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
I doubt your brain and mouth will be enough, considering you're too old anyway to make it big. my advice to you, choose a preamp, any, and start recording.
Dude, give the guy a break. Holy crap.

Btw, congrats on your 300 million Spotify streams. In the grand scheme of things, numbers don’t mean anything if you have a terrible attitude and make people feel like sh*t.

Notice how no one who’s worth anything in music is coming on GS to antagonize people for asking perfectly reasonable questions. Lay off.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #42
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
I doubt your brain and mouth will be enough, considering you're too old anyway to make it big. my advice to you, choose a preamp, any, and start recording.
I’ve never had an intention to make it big tbh.
And I’ve been recording regularly through my SSL six (no lack of creativity here )
Old 4 weeks ago
  #43
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Dude, give the guy a break. Holy crap.

Btw, congrats on your 300 million Spotify streams. In the grand scheme of things, numbers don’t mean anything if you have a terrible attitude and make people feel like sh*t.

Notice how no one who’s worth anything in music is coming on GS to antagonize people for asking perfectly reasonable questions. Lay off.
Thanks bro, tbh I’ve joined loads of groups (mpc, cubase, Universal Audio ) I’ve never ever had one disagreement with anyone ever on any forum or group . With the number of people all in all I was bound to come across a troll at some point
Apparently he doesn’t like my name (doesn’t know anything about me or my music at all ??? Not a jot...

Tbh though I’ve found it all very amusing , nothing he can say can effect me he has no power. Just Like my character, my music likely has more integrity!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #44
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricalgenius81 View Post
Thanks bro, tbh I’ve joined loads of groups (mpc, cubase, Universal Audio ) I’ve never ever had one disagreement with anyone ever on any forum or group . With the number of people all in all I was bound to come across a troll at some point
Apparently he doesn’t like my name (doesn’t know anything about me or my music at all ??? Not a jot...

Tbh though I’ve found it all very amusing , nothing he can say can effect me he has no power. Just Like my character, my music likely has more integrity!
Your username sets you up to me jabbing at you, I mean it's pretty egotistical in itself let's face it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Your username sets you up to me jabbing at you, I mean it's pretty egotistical in itself let's face it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #46
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Your username sets you up to me jabbing at you, I mean it's pretty egotistical in itself let's face it.
Bullying you mean.

Over a name at that...that's elementary school playground stuff you know.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Your username sets you up to me jabbing at you, I mean it's pretty egotistical in itself let's face it.
hellohead, I have to kindly ask you to stop bullying the guy..
whatever you think of his nickname or his talent is not relevant to his question/thread nor to a somewhat useful discussion.

I'd suggest to go over it, and acting more
consciously.
If you really had whatever millions streams means YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER, you SHOULD have more experience, so act accordingly.

Respect other people opinions/choices, no matter if you think they have talent or not. That include nicknames.
That doesn't mean agreeing with them, but respect them.

Thank you.



Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
  #48
Gear Head
 

Hellohead Since you have been so forthcoming with your advice here’s some from me.

You should stop making assumptions. It’s not a good look!

How old are you out of curiosity?
I’m willing to lay money that I am nothing at all like you think or expect me to be! So what makes you soooo sure that you think you know anything about me?

The spade I gave you earlier on in the thread my my my you certainly have dug a deep hole .... it’s really exposed You.

I’m the type of person that gets along with everyone and I’m sure that your probably a decent guy and your probably fairly talented if you really have sold lots of records. However if you want to talk about egotistical you should “check yourself” ! Nothing comes across more egotistical than treating other people like s**t.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #49
Gear Head
 

So I think for the moment I’m going crack on with my Apollo x pre’s and my ssl six pre and smash out some banging beats.... but I think my upgrade path for the future will be the silver bullet. Going by others opinions the pre amps in the SB are great and to have the neve and api flavours as well as the 2 bus processing capabilities means it makes it top of my Christmas list.
But I have listened to your advice and understand that the differences between changing a pre is not going to make or break the music which I totally get! But I’m guessing we are all members of gearslutz for that niggling reason.....because we feel the pull from those shiny new boxes
Old 3 weeks ago
  #50
Lives for gear
 

Also... For your dynamic microphones, keep an eye out for the new Soyuz "The Launcher" ($200). Intended to give that vintage console style tone/vibe.
I may get one to go along with my dynamic vocal mic collection.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
  #51
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricalgenius81 View Post
So I think for the moment I’m going crack on with my Apollo x pre’s and my ssl six pre and smash out some banging beats.... but I think my upgrade path for the future will be the silver bullet. Going by others opinions the pre amps in the SB are great and to have the neve and api flavours as well as the 2 bus processing capabilities means it makes it top of my Christmas list.
But I have listened to your advice and understand that the differences between changing a pre is not going to make or break the music which I totally get! But I’m guessing we are all members of gearslutz for that niggling reason.....because we feel the pull from those shiny new boxes
The SB I think would be a great match for the SiX.

I have a Sigma, and find that the SB complements the SSL sound very well, giving it a certain girth and warmth without taking away any of the sheen.

The SiX seems to have a multitude of routing options. If you do get the SB, I'd suggest you get a patchbay, so you can fully utilize both unit's routing flexibility for both tracking and mixing scenarios.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #52
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
The SB I think would be a great match for the SiX.

I have a Sigma, and find that the SB complements the SSL sound very well, giving it a certain girth and warmth without taking away any of the sheen.

The SiX seems to have a multitude of routing options. If you do get the SB, I'd suggest you get a patchbay, so you can fully utilize both unit's routing flexibility for both tracking and mixing scenarios.
Nice one 12tone! Yes I have already rigged up a few patch bays so I can do all my routing. So far I e only used the Six as a pre and not used the summing side of things yet (not enough bloody time in the day!)
But I’ll get to it at some point.
Yep that SB sounds like a great bit of kit! Was looking at the SSL fusion a while back and that’s where I saw the SB mentioned. The fusion looks wicked as well tbh!

Better start saving my penny’s!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #53
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Also... For your dynamic microphones, keep an eye out for the new Soyuz "The Launcher" ($200). Intended to give that vintage console style tone/vibe.
I may get one to go along with my dynamic vocal mic collection.
Chris
Nice one chris I’ll check that out thanks for the heads-up
Old 3 weeks ago
  #54
Lives for gear
 
BradM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricalgenius81 View Post
So I think for the moment I’m going crack on with my Apollo x pre’s and my ssl six pre and smash out some banging beats.... but I think my upgrade path for the future will be the silver bullet. Going by others opinions the pre amps in the SB are great and to have the neve and api flavours as well as the 2 bus processing capabilities means it makes it top of my Christmas list.
But I have listened to your advice and understand that the differences between changing a pre is not going to make or break the music which I totally get! But I’m guessing we are all members of gearslutz for that niggling reason.....because we feel the pull from those shiny new boxes
Hi there,

Thanks for considering the Silver Bullet! If you have any specific questions about the box I'm happy to answer them in detail here or in private. If you are located in the U.S. feel free to give me a call - it would be my pleasure to walk you through the unit and discuss how it might best integrate into your particular setup.

cheers,
Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
  #55
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Hi there,

Thanks for considering the Silver Bullet! If you have any specific questions about the box I'm happy to answer them in detail here or in private. If you are located in the U.S. feel free to give me a call - it would be my pleasure to walk you through the unit and discuss how it might best integrate into your particular setup.

cheers,
Brad
Thanks Brad. Is there any discount for gearslut members?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #56
Lives for gear
 

Just add 10%.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
  #57
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Just add 10%.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
  #58
Noa
Gear Addict
 
Noa's Avatar
I use the Silver Bullet and have compared it to many many API and Neve 500 series units as well as the Aurora GTQC.

It is definitely not a “step down”. I would say it is an incredible bargain for all of the things this box can do.

First, I like the API side better than a 500 series 512. I like the Neve side more than almost all of the 500 series clones except for the AML ez1073.

But everyone’s voice matches so differently with mics and pres. It is a must that you find your own vocal chain that fits with your particular voice. In my case, the AML really fits me well. But not always. Other times I use the SB to mix API and Neve together.

Second, the EQ is AMAZING! You don’t end up fiddling around with the settings much. In a matter of seconds, it just sounds right. It’s so easy to get the right sound with this box. Barely any setup time getting a good sound.

Third, you can use it on the 2buss.

Last, Brad is one of the nicest guys on the planet. He talks to you, not at you. You are in safe hands when you buy any product from this guy.

I say...get the Silver Bullet.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #59
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa View Post
I use the Silver Bullet and have compared it to many many API and Neve 500 series units as well as the Aurora GTQC.

It is definitely not a “step down”. I would say it is an incredible bargain for all of the things this box can do.

First, I like the API side better than a 500 series 512. I like the Neve side more than almost all of the 500 series clones except for the AML ez1073.

But everyone’s voice matches so differently with mics and pres. It is a must that you find your own vocal chain that fits with your particular voice. In my case, the AML really fits me well. But not always. Other times I use the SB to mix API and Neve together.

Second, the EQ is AMAZING! You don’t end up fiddling around with the settings much. In a matter of seconds, it just sounds right. It’s so easy to get the right sound with this box. Barely any setup time getting a good sound.

Third, you can use it on the 2buss.

Last, Brad is one of the nicest guys on the planet. He talks to you, not at you. You are in safe hands when you buy any product from this guy.

I say...get the Silver Bullet.
Thanks for your input man. It’s good to hear from someone who has first hand comparisons against so many other different pre’s!
I do understand the pre-mic-voice needs to match up to compliment each other for best results.
Why get just a pre when you can have this box of tricks!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #60
Gear Nut
 
MattiasSwe's Avatar
Maybe i should try to borrow a good preamp to try with my manley, i run it straight into the audio interface at the moment.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump