The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ATC smc 20 asl vs genelec 8040
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

ATC smc 20 asl vs genelec 8040

Im looking for some monitors to go with my ns10s
Im stuck between the genelec 8040 or 8050 and the ATC scm20asl. Ive heard great things about these monitors and how there are in service in a lot of comercial studios.

I was thinking about going 3 way, the focal twin 6 be or the neumann kh 310, but i don't like the sound of the focals and heard that the genelecs have more detail. I also don't like how soft the kh310s sound. So its between the genelecs and the atc.

I couldnt find anyone comparing these two great 2 way monitors on other threads. Has anyone heard both of these? What is the benefit of either? Do they come close at all? Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I have heard comparisons of the genelec 8040 vs focal twin and also heard comparisons of the atc smc20asl vs the focal twins and it seemed like the focals didn't have any real benefit when compared to the others for mixing and mastering.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I have used all three.
They are nothing alike in sound.

The 8040 and 8050 go much lower than the ATC SCM20ASL.
The ATC SCM20ASL has a much more natural and defined midrange coverage.
The sound is more precise/laser-like in the stereo image for the 20ASL. The sound image is more broad/wide and encompassing in the 8040/8050.
I would call the 8040/8050 a "client" speaker. You can easily sell approvals for mixes on those. I find the 20ASL more a "mixer/engineers" speaker but you can't get too obsessed with all the details you hear or you'll never finish a mix. [Working with ATCs, you learn what is important to obsess about]

What you want out of your speaker choice will determine what to get. And you should hear them for yourself to determine that because we're "dancing about architecture" here. You already have a limited speaker with the ns10 so maybe the 8040/8050 is more right for you.

[And to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet, no, the ns10 and the 20ASL don't sound anything alike either]

Last edited by pentagon; 6 days ago at 01:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
I have used all three.
They are nothing alike in sound.

The 8040 and 8050 go much lower than the ATC SCM20ASL.
The ATC SCM20ASL has a much more natural and defined midrange coverage.
The sound is more precise/laser-like in the stereo image for the 20ASL. The sound image is more broad/wide and encompassing in the 8040/8050.
I would call the 8040/8050 a "client" speaker. You can easily sell approvals for mixes on those. I find the 20ASL more a "mixer/engineers" speaker but you can't get too obsessed with all the details you hear or you'll never finish a mix. [Working with ATCs, you learn what is important to obsess about]

What you want out of your speaker choice will determine what to get. And you should hear them for yourself to determine that because we're "dancing about architecture" here. You already have a limited speaker with the ns10 so maybe the 8040/8050 is more right for you.

[And to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet, no, the ns10 and the 20ASL don't sound anything alike either]
Hahah. thanks. I was worried about low end and i need something less clinical and more fun to listen to, as i have the ns10s, But still something accurate.

Another question, all though i know there is threads about this.
is it worth it at all to get the 8050 over the 8040? Is the 8040 more common? Would the bass be sufficient as a pair to the ns10?
Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

And yea i should hear them.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoots View Post
is it worth it at all to get the 8050 over the 8040? Is the 8040 more common? Would the bass be sufficient as a pair to the ns10?
Thanks
Both the 8040 and 8050 are much better at low frequencies than the ns10.

The 8050 is what I'd call a full-range speaker more than anything else as I work in film scores/soundtracks and the 8050 have the reach to satisfy movie soundtracks.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Both the 8040 and 8050 are much better at low frequencies than the ns10.

The 8050 is what I'd call a full-range speaker more than anything else as I work in film scores/soundtracks and the 8050 have the reach to satisfy movie soundtracks.
Thank you, just wondering. i have a sub, would that change anything choice wise if it was your decision between the three?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes. If you have a good sub then all the speakers are full range now. Then it is just a matter of taste.
Goes back to listening.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes. If you have a good sub then all the speakers are full range now. Then it is just a matter of taste.
Goes back to listening.
Thank you. With that said, how do the dynaudio bm15 compare? Anyone compared these?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

BM15 are sh*t. Spent a year in a 5.1 room with those (5 x BM15 plus sub.) Mid range suck out. Took a few mixes to learn them (where I had to take the mixes elsewhere and check and then come back and fix) but they were always poor. Never want to do that again.

Strangely, the other BM series speakers are good (though most of them were designed much after the BM15) including the discontinued ones.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Haha okay thanks, i didn't think those staked up with the other two.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

If anyone has info to add comparing the genelec 8040 or 8050 to the atc smc20asl it would be great!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

You already have NS10s. The Genelec stuff will compliment better. NS10m Studio and 1031A was the combo back in the day.

Quote:
BM15 are sh*t. Spent a year in a 5.1 room with those (5 x BM15 plus sub.) Mid range suck out. Took a few mixes to learn them (where I had to take the mixes elsewhere and check and then come back and fix) but they were always poor. Never want to do that again.

Strangely, the other BM series speakers are good (though most of them were designed much after the BM15) including the discontinued ones.
How are the new BM6A classics? The second version of them wasn't as good as the original. Those are good except for the crossover dip.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Have always hated the 1031A. Many studios kept them because they were expected. Not because they were the best choice. Studios served client mixers and sometimes (like McDonalds or Starbucks) just finding something the "same" was good enough.

No point to buy into old "traditions." (not to mention the 1031A is nothing sonically like the 8000 series)

Haven't heard the new BM6A so can't comment. At some point I'll take a listen to the Core series.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
You already have NS10s. The Genelec stuff will compliment better. NS10m Studio and 1031A was the combo back in the day.

How are the new BM6A classics? The second version of them wasn't as good as the original. Those are good except for the crossover dip.

I love the classic combo of not so long ago, the 1031 genelec with the ns10s. I really dont want to get the older 1031 if i dont have to, are the 8040s a close enough resemblance the 1031 or would the 8050 be more like it?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Neither are like the 1031.
Not even a resemblance (thankfully)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thank you.
Hmm. Well I'm looking for something you would see in more studios, you know. Like the chance of commercial songs being engineered with them being the highest. Does anyone know if the 8050 or the 8040 more common? Its just the 8050 are like twice as expensive but I'm willing to spend that if its going to make a difference or if they are more standard (i know this isn't the best way to go about it) any insight?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I would use mostly the ns10 for vocals and reference but the second pair for seeing how everything fits together and hearing details i cant with the ns10s or mixcube. Also something i can play at louder volumes than the ns10.

I cant afford some big ol mains but i want to be able to go back and forth between the ns10s and the second pair. The second pair really for getting an accurate detailed picture of the whole mix with a sub. Would the 8050s have any real benefit worth twice the price in my situation? Acoustic treatment is also limited if that helps.
Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I could put the extra 2k towards a Cl1b. hehe
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah the 8040 is a lot more pleasant and the DSP stuff better than both of them. I preferred the original HR824 and K-Roks to the 1031. I still prefer KRK to Genelec and Dyn. The Cores are better than the Lyds from my brief time hearing both and one time having to use the LYD 48 and NS10m. That wasn’t fun. I destroyed Dyn car speakers recently. Bad purchase. I feel the brand has gone downhill from the BM6a.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Yeah the 8040 is a lot more pleasant and the DSP stuff better than both of them. I preferred the original HR824 and K-Roks to the 1031. I still prefer KRK to Genelec and Dyn. The Cores are better than the Lyds from my brief time hearing both and one time having to use the LYD 48 and NS10m. That wasn’t fun. I destroyed Dyn car speakers recently. Bad purchase. I feel the brand has gone downhill from the BM6a.
Any word on the kh310 compared to the gens?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Any word on the kh310 compared to the gens?
They sound totally different. KH310 have a tighter low end but I’m not a huge fan of either of them.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Still gotta save up for a few months but the 8040 have been always managed to come back as my top pick over and over for years even after feeling set on others.

I was set on kh120s for a whyle then when i got the ns10s ive been ping ponging between the kh310, atc smc20, dynaudio lyd48 or bm15, focal twin, focal trio, krk v8 g4, adam a77x (ew). But the good ol genelecs keep catching my ear.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

If price wasn't the issue id go for the atc scm50asl and call it a day.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you.
Hmm. Well I'm looking for something you would see in more studios, you know. Like the chance of commercial songs being engineered with them being the highest. Does anyone know if the 8050 or the 8040 more common? Its just the 8050 are like twice as expensive but I'm willing to spend that if its going to make a difference or if they are more standard (i know this isn't the best way to go about it) any insight?
We're a lot of time away from when there were "common" speakers in studios. Mixers bring their own speakers now or rent them in. Even the NS10 you might see in studio photos is often pulled down and put in a corner after the photo. It's the mixer's choice and speakers are very personal.

Pick what works for you.
Old 6 days ago
I had both 1031 and ns10. They are worlds apart could not stand switching between them.

Also, 1030 is in my opinion much better speakers. Translates allot better while i could not get the 1031 to work. I had a well known mixer borrow my pair of 1031 when his 1030s was in shop and he felt exactly the same.

I'd love to try the scm20 myself to see if they live up to the hype
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have heard comparisons of the genelec 8040 vs focal twin and also heard comparisons of the atc smc20asl vs the focal twins and it seemed like the focals didn't have any real benefit when compared to the others for mixing and mastering.
There's no comparison between the Genelec 8040 and the Twins. The Twins are a much better speaker. You probably heard the Twins in a bad room or not in proper orientation. The Twins moreso than others, are very temperamental into bad sounding rooms. They really sound off. And FYI - I've had the Twins for 5 years and I know their limitations back and forth. They're a very good speaker for their price point.

If you're debating between the 8040 and the ATC then go ATC all the way.

I'm looking at upgrading my Twins to the new Genelec 8351B but now we're talking double the price of the Twins and the speakers you mentioned.
Old 6 days ago
I have Genelec 8250
NS10
MixCubes
Adam A7

I also want to buy ATC.

+1.
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mk2
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
+1!
Since you already have a sub (hopefully it's a decent one, that you can turn easily bypass with a footswitch) I'd go for the ATC, it's a much better loudspeaker than the gennies.. also the lowend information is all there.. just not so "bloated" like in the gennies.

just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
There's no comparison between the Genelec 8040 and the Twins. The Twins are a much better speaker. You probably heard the Twins in a bad room or not in proper orientation. The Twins moreso than others, are very temperamental into bad sounding rooms. They really sound off. And FYI - I've had the Twins for 5 years and I know their limitations back and forth. They're a very good speaker for their price point.

I'm looking at upgrading my Twins to the new Genelec 8351B but now we're talking double the price of the Twins and the speakers you mentioned.
I woukdnt call the twins better, especially not in detail, but different. More midfirward. And no bad room problems over here

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search