The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Different uses for Rupert Neve Portico II MBP
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Different uses for Rupert Neve Portico II MBP

Finally placed my order in for my Portico II MBP after a couple months of waiting. It won't ship out until the 26th of this month so while I'm on hold, I wanted to make a thread for those who already own it and know what other ways you use the Portico besides using it on the master buss. Obviously this thing is a monster when it comes to doing it's job but have any of you found other great ways to apply this bad boy on any of your mixes/channels?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's a compressor, so you can use it wherever you need some compression. It's that simple.
Old 1 week ago
TONS of different uses, of course the most common being on the 2BUS, but it can excel in Stems or Single tracks too.

Saturation:Silk red and blue gives amazing saturation options to any signal.
Red silk can enhace the mids and highs in a very rich and non-linear way.
Blue Silk can add some weight to the lowmids, great on some signals as weak pianos, vocals or bass.

Tone: The SFE eq section can have a huge impact on Kickdrums, Snares, Bass, Leads or Vocals if you crank it without fear, I tend to use this option only in single tracks or stems, not on the 2bus (unless you mix into this effect). But used wisely, its incredible!

The Width and Depth knobs can enlarge the signals in no-time, amazing in leads and pads. It enhaces the space like no other processor, sometimes its just what the doctor prescrived to make a signal pop out from the mix.

The Make-Up gain also can bring some meat on the table if used wisely, it has some non-linear goodness if used wisely.

Of course compression modes such as RMS/PEAK and FB/FF combined with its own parallel mix knob can shape dynamics in a transparent or pumping mode if used agressively. The “intelligent limiter” can be useful in vocals or cymbals to avoid that pesky transients.

On the 2BUS all this options have to be used veeery slightly as they can have a huge impact together.... but in single tracks or stems I recommend you to crank up the knobs for an amazing tone and harmonic sculpting heaven processor.

Its a swiss knife “processor” in good hands, not just a “compressor” IMHO.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yea I figured it can do more than just compress since the Portico has a lot more to offer. My intention was to use this for mastering and from a lot of posts and reviews, most people recommended to add slight settings since the box is already powerful and very transparent.
I know this piece of gear will only add 10% to my mix but a 10% that is very well needed. And the tips that you gave me, which are very useful btw, I'm sure it's contribution to my mixes will be a 75%.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I track with it a lot in mono and sometimes will run the output of one channel into the input of the other - it allows you to use FB on one channel and FF on the other, different silk settings, etc for additional smoothing and double the transformer saturation. Since the box is generally clean it's hard to overdo most things..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Excellent choice, love MBP for many uses, it is my 2-buss processor for second ITB + analog summing setup.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search