The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixbus Mojo unit, what's yours?
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Mixbus Mojo unit, what's yours?

I am looking to buy some tone shaping/harmonic tool for my 2bus. I am currently summing thru a folcrom using different mic pre from project to project. I have a great 2bus chain that I like for compression and EQ. I am currently looking to change my summing for the Shadow Hill, it's a useful tool and I love the sound of it too.
But I want something to shape the tone of the whole mix, give it a character and unique sound.

I am currently looking at the overstayer stuff. I was also thinking of the CAPI audio Bacon, but I don't think it's enough to do what I want.
I could grab a SPL twintube, but I have not tried it before.

What would be your recommendation, the one you can't mix without.

I am also thinking for tracking purpose, but I don't need more mic pre's!!

Thank you
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Addict
Shameless plug I have an equinox for sale in the classified section serial no 2
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
Shameless plug I have an equinox for sale in the classified section serial no 2
Haha, I have a buddy who sell one, sorry! Are you changing for something else?
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict
I now have a capi sumbuss . A little more transformer goodness than the equinox jmo
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
I now have a capi sumbuss . A little more transformer goodness than the equinox jmo
I'd love to have one of these, but it's too expensive for my budget right now.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

UTA Unfairchild plus a couple of vintage Pultecs
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Guru

I still use a Drawmer 1969 Mercenary Edition that I bought new when they first came out. I never hit it that hard, but it still does nice things.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
UTA Unfairchild plus a couple of vintage Pultecs
I use one at the studio with my retro EQ it’s awesome, but I can’t always have that!
Old 5th September 2019
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I’m very curious about this one
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Mojo ..

In what sense

grit, clarity, depth? ... try class-A discreet, try a Great River MAQ-2NV (a cleaner mastering neve)

smoothness, punch, texture? ... try lots of inductors, Knif Soma is king there

grip, control, sheen, modern? .. you're wanting a PWM or VCA stage, Crane Song STC-8, or Dangerous bus compressor there

if you can define the sound you want in your head, you can find which topology/components tend to lend itself to that and start narrowing down the proper units for a more intensive in-studio evaluation
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
Mojo ..

In what sense

grit, clarity, depth? ... try class-A discreet, try a Great River MAQ-2NV (a cleaner mastering neve)

smoothness, punch, texture? ... try lots of inductors, Knif Soma is king there

grip, control, sheen, modern? .. you're wanting a PWM or VCA stage, Crane Song STC-8, or Dangerous bus compressor there

if you can define the sound you want in your head, you can find which topology/components tend to lend itself to that and start narrowing down the proper units for a more intensive in-studio evaluation
I’m not searching for something specific, I’m wondering what orher people use to get a certain mojo. Right I get depth and space from my summing, of course I like what tube brings to depth.

I’m a currently searching for stuff to add texture to the mix. Much like when the half inch machine or when I use the unfairchild. But i’m curious to see what other people use or like.

I am currently looking at the spl twintube and the neve design tape emulator.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

I could also add that I’m always looking for smoother mid and high mids!
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
I am looking to buy some tone shaping/harmonic tool for my 2bus. I am currently summing thru a folcrom using different mic pre from project to project. I have a great 2bus chain that I like for compression and EQ. I am currently looking to change my summing for the Shadow Hill, it's a useful tool and I love the sound of it too.
But I want something to shape the tone of the whole mix, give it a character and unique sound.

I am currently looking at the overstayer stuff. I was also thinking of the CAPI audio Bacon, but I don't think it's enough to do what I want.
I could grab a SPL twintube, but I have not tried it before.

What would be your recommendation, the one you can't mix without.

I am also thinking for tracking purpose, but I don't need more mic pre's!!

Thank you
I’ve tried a lot of great outboard on my mixbuss and the LTL Silver Bullet is by far my fav. It does exactly what you describe that you’re looking for. Brad also offers a return period if you try and feel it’s not for you
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Addict

I have two mixbuses, one is all instrumentation and the other is all vocals (plus anything else that I don't want to pump the mixbus compressor, like a solo instrument) and they combine at a 'router' track. I'm ITB on the router, but on the instrument mixbus, I have a Thermionic Culture Phoenix Mastering Compressor & a Thermionic Culture Vulture Super 15. The compressor is doing probably 2-3db compression at the most, but the tube colour it imparts, along with the Vulture is great!
Old 6th September 2019
I highly recommend checking out A-Designs' Hammer 2. It would be hard to describe what it does with the mix just by running it through it. Magic, maybe? I would never, ever remove it from my master channel. And as it's a hybrid design EQ with tubes, there are quite some options to fine tune, or as you've put it, shape the tone of the mix. It definitely has lots of mojo and a unique sound signature.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Nut

Getting my SSL Fusion soon!
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
I’ve tried a lot of great outboard on my mixbuss and the LTL Silver Bullet is by far my fav. It does exactly what you describe that you’re looking for. Brad also offers a return period if you try and feel it’s not for you
The silver bullet really seems to be a favourite of a lot of people!
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Nut

Has there been a side by side comparisson with the fusion and silver bullet?
Old 7th September 2019
the Dramatic Obsidian>massive passive>CraneSong HEDD chain spends more time on my mixes than anything else I have here. And when I want to add some vintage mojo, my pair of Lisson Grove AR-1 gets added to that.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

Trev’s lisson grove comps on the mix buss mane things sound like a record !
Old 8th September 2019
Same chain over here except I have the Silver bullet instead of your hedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
the Dramatic Obsidian>massive passive>CraneSong HEDD chain spends more time on my mixes than anything else I have here. And when I want to add some vintage mojo, my pair of Lisson Grove AR-1 gets added to that.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Last mixed album came back with almost no EQ moves:

EQ-3d in M/S -> 33609J/D -> AML EQ-P1's -> CAPI VP28.

Not a single one of those was *the* mojo box but together they kick some serious *ss to my ears.

Herwig
Old 9th September 2019
500 series nutjob

A-Designs NAIL and then the HAMMER.

the elysia expressor and nvelop on the drum buss.
Old 10th September 2019
I have a pair of RND 511 tape saturation modules and they are so useful. Make it on 98% of mixes. Worth every penny.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byramjoseph View Post
I have a pair of RND 511 tape saturation modules and they are so useful. Make it on 98% of mixes. Worth every penny.

I’m very pleased here with a Portico 5042 as a Main Insert for my SSL SiX. Even the lowest setting gives me that «je ne sais quoi» of mojo-glue I like.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post

I’m very pleased here with a Portico 5042 as a Main Insert for my SSL SiX. Even the lowest setting gives me that «je ne sais quoi» of mojo-glue I like.
I am very curious to here that unit!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
I could also add that I’m always looking for smoother mid and high mids!
Then I give the Hammer a plus 1 - super smooth mids
In combo with a pair of RND 542s that´s quite some "mojo" options...tube, tape and transformer. Not sure if this is high endish enough though
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Now, it’s:

Nicerizer > 2a3 > SSL > Clariphonic > Zulu
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Now, it’s:

Nicerizer > 2a3 > SSL > Clariphonic > Zulu
Zulu? What's that unit?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search