The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixbus Mojo unit, what's yours?
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Boutique audio company Handsome Audio makes it. It’s a tape simulation HW unit.

A couple of big threads around here worth reading if you’re interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
Zulu? What's that unit?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i'm mostly trying to avoid any 'mojo' but when wanting some, i'm using either the spl machine head or cranesong hedd: digital bliss!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Overstayer MAS
Old 3 weeks ago
All the music I record is permeated with vivid colors and sweet textures, I love painting and fattening tracks and mixes with all kinds of things. Moods and mindscapes...

Thermionic Culture Vulture mastering version...although it can get overwhelming when you want it to, it can do many flavors of subtle. What it does for drum buss on heavy rock music is nothing short of amazing.

Manley Slam! is a very versatile tool on submixes or mix buss in addition to being very useful for tracking duties.

The Drawmer 1978 is a great buss comp, and can also do some creative "tone shaping" to use Drawmer's term.

...and I love the Kush Electra. Everybody should have one of these. You can move instruments around in a mix...bring them forward, drop them back...an intriguing and mysterious little box.

Using the above tools in different combinations and configurations provide almost limitless possibilities
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfReezon View Post
All the music I record is permeated with vivid colors and sweet textures, I love painting and fattening tracks and mixes with all kinds of things. Moods and mindscapes...

Thermionic Culture Vulture mastering version...although it can get overwhelming when you want it to, it can do many flavors of subtle. What it does for drum buss on heavy rock music is nothing short of amazing.

Manley Slam! is a very versatile tool on submixes or mix buss in addition to being very useful for tracking duties.

The Drawmer 1978 is a great buss comp, and can also do some creative "tone shaping" to use Drawmer's term.

...and I love the Kush Electra. Everybody should have one of these. You can move instruments around in a mix...bring them forward, drop them back...an intriguing and mysterious little box.

Using the above tools in different combinations and configurations provide almost limitless possibilities
+1 for the Drawmer, I used it a lot on the mixbus with great results. Now I mainly use it on sub groups (I like to put Hammer, SSL G and Kultube on the master in different variations instead...).

Since you've mentioned Kush Electra - my local dealer has it on sale and I was wondering if the knobs are stepped. So how easy is it to use it on stereo sources?*

*I know stepped controls are a PITA sometimes, but my Hammer for example has almost perfect stereo tracking with its detented knobs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Ssl4ke mixbus, red 3 rev a and a pair of eqp1s3
The sound of hits
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.m.junior View Post
+1 for the Drawmer, I used it a lot on the mixbus with great results. Now I mainly use it on sub groups (I like to put Hammer, SSL G and Kultube on the master in different variations instead...).

Since you've mentioned Kush Electra - my local dealer has it on sale and I was wondering if the knobs are stepped. So how easy is it to use it on stereo sources?*

*I know stepped controls are a PITA sometimes, but my Hammer for example has almost perfect stereo tracking with its detented knobs.
No, just center detents on the Electra. But I wouldn't let go of it, even on a bet. I love it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
- Overstayer MAS,
- Bereich03 dual density (really affordable and sounds amazing!),
- Summit TPA-200 (a or b, for tube warmth dialed in perfect compared to the Jensen 990, solid state or tube at your choice, sooo underrated),
- Silver Bullet (nice bax eq thrown in too!),
- pair of capi vp-28 (warm transformers and punchy)
- Kush Culture Vulture (can be subtle too, and early mixed reviews hit me as silly now that I have one, the unit is great, and changing tube bias can make snare just snap through a mix!)
- Coil Audio or Weight Tank tube pres (Coil 286 NF control and bass boost lets you move bass up and back in soundstage),
- Clariphonic (for opening up the top end a little after color makes it darker),
- Handsome Audio Zulu tape sim (and their new unit Juju also seems quite cool), etc.
- RND 542 (not my favorite compared to those above but still good and def useful)
- AML 54f50 (barely audible compression for mixbus, mixed with thick transformer tone)

Can't go wrong with any of these options, I've used them all. Often better to use more than one 'overdone' but mixed in parallel to taste. This way you can mix tube and solid state, 2nd and 3rd order harmonics, all to taste.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Been using the Overstayer MAS & Dramastic Obsidian on a lot of my mixes for the past couple years & still love them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde67 View Post
Been using the Overstayer MAS & Dramastic Obsidian on a lot of my mixes for the past couple years & still love them.
What do you mostly get out of the M-A-S, tone, volume, energy? Does it work well on a lot a different music style?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It seems to suggest that Harrison Mixbus 32C is not doing any kind of analog modeling or convolution at all, and that it's really just "look and feel".

Explanation?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Nothing on the mix buss these days and enjoying it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
What do you mostly get out of the M-A-S, tone, volume, energy? Does it work well on a lot a different music style?
I’d say it does work well in a variety of genres. I primarily use it on my mix bus. Their I’m hitting it fairly softly and dialing the blend knobs back a bit. I feel it helps smooth out transients, adds color depending on which options you choose, and I use it a bit like a broad EQ as well. Hope that helps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Dangerous Convert-8 DAC->Dangerous D-Box for Summing->Dangerous Liaison (Neve 8803 EQ-SSL XLogic G Compressor- SSL Fusion- Dangerous Compressor- A pair of EQP-WA EQ)-> Maselec MPL-2 Peak Limiter-> Burl B2 ADC
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I’m very curious about this one
Having spent the last month with a loaner, I highly recommend it. I had my band-mate over last night and played him the new mix of our record without it first. Sounded great, "let's get it out for mastering", ready to go, etc.

Then I said, "wait, but..." and turned the SB on. His eyes opened real wide and he started laughing. Settings are nothing crazy. Just a little here and there. That extra 10%.

It's that sick.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Orion HD > Neve 33609 > SKnote Vastaso > AML ezP-1A > Nagra V ; Nice

Last edited by IN..........OUT; 2 weeks ago at 02:20 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Dangerous 2 Bus+ and Tonelux Otb16
(Vintech 472 into Zulu on the inserts)>
Wes Audio Hyperion >
Wes Audio Dione>
Burl a/d>
Uad Fairchild (needle barely moving)
Kush Clariphonic (hardware insert) for that last bit of top polish.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am currently trying out this option:

Folcrom --> Neve 1272
Manley Vari-Mu --> Clariphonic (optional) --> Retro 2A3 --> Smart C1 --> SPL Twintube (I might try moving it around in the chain)

Then fine tuning in pro tools if necessary.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

First thought was, man, do you really need all that?

Second thought... wait, that’s almost exactly my chain. LOL!

Quote:
I am currently trying out this option:

Folcrom --> Neve 1272
Manley Vari-Mu --> Clariphonic (optional) --> Retro 2A3 --> Smart C1 --> SPL Twintube (I might try moving it around in the chain)

Then fine tuning in pro tools if necessary.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
First thought was, man, do you really need all that?

Second thought... wait, that’s almost exactly my chain. LOL!
HAHAHA, It felt like a lot when i was writing it! I don't always use everything, something I don't even go analog. But those are the options!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search