The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Jensen Twin Servo Type Preamps? - Suggestions for Clean Pre for Jazz
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Jensen Twin Servo Type Preamps? - Suggestions for Clean Pre for Jazz

I'm working on a Jazz / Avant-garde record and am looking to get a new pre to help capture a more pure tone. For example, a clean acoustic sound. Currently my pre choices are 1073, api, chandler, SSL... I've tried all in different combinations of mics, but nothing is yielding the desired result.

I'm looking for a sound that is similar to say one of the Bill Connors records. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchildren View Post
I'm working on a Jazz / Avant-garde record and am looking to get a new pre to help capture a more pure tone. For example, a clean acoustic sound. Currently my pre choices are 1073, api, chandler, SSL... I've tried all in different combinations of mics, but nothing is yielding the desired result.

I'm looking for a sound that is similar to say one of the Bill Connors records. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Let's say that SSL are rather on the clean side ime..

Anyway the John Hardy twin servo (or the jensens) are a great clean preamp.
You might want to also check out the following preamps:

Forssell SMP-2
NPNG
Pueblo Audio
Gordon

If you can't get incredible results with these, I'd say the problem is not the preamp..

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 3 weeks ago at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

no lack of 'clean' pres these days!

in addition to those previously mentioned, i'd like to mention yamaha (yes, yamaha! ad8hr), aphex, millennia, focusrite, grace design, cranesong, studer, stagetec, rme, merging etc.

jensen, lundahl, transformerless - i'm convinced no one can hear upon listening to a mix...
Old 3 weeks ago
The Hardy M-1 with the optional output transformer is clean and smooth. It always delivers great sound.

The Avalon 2022 is another discrete preamp with uncolored clean tone.

Last edited by Timothy Powell; 3 weeks ago at 07:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
The Hardy M-1 with the optional output transformer is clean and smooth. It always delivers great sound.

The Avalon 2022 is another discrete preamp with uncolored clean tone.
Both true. But I'd say the Buzz Ma2.2 (now discontinued) is a better Avalon than the Avalon is.

And I'm a little surprised that that OP isn't happy with his APIs in this application. With low to moderate-volume sources, they're pretty darn clean. And subjectively big-sounding.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I may be out of my depth here in the high end but here goes.
This company is overlooked and i only post as on paper it seems a remarkable preamp.
Its called "Clarity" for a reason.....like i say, i never used one, may be one day.
DACS Clarity MicAmp 2
http://www.dacs-audio.com/product/dacs-micamp-2/

Actually its mentioned in this thread
Quietest preamp, interface and mic combination that there exists?
<post 8>
I used a DACS Clarity for a year, the thing is transparent as air.
Don't remember if it was the quietest I've used...
But cleanest...

Last edited by Macky; 3 weeks ago at 03:01 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Now, having spun through a bit of Bill Connors, I guess I'm not hearing the ultra-clean thing that OP is hearing. Great playing, though, if you're into the sort of thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks for all the replies. Great ideas.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Seventh Circle Audio J99 is in the twin servo camp.

Or perhaps a Daking, not a twin servo design, but killer sonics for not much moolah.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Both true. But I'd say the Buzz Ma2.2 (now discontinued) is a better Avalon than the Avalon is.

And I'm a little surprised that that OP isn't happy with his APIs in this application. With low to moderate-volume sources, they're pretty darn clean. And subjectively big-sounding.
Buzz is discontinued? Didnt he just come on here talking about an update?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The Gordon is a great clean (transparent) pre, and noiseless, with depth.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
New version - Buzz MA-2.2B
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Take a look at D.A.V. Electronics too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
That model is discontinued, maybe they're released a replacement. You could look it up, I suppose.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post

The Avalon 2020 is another discrete preamp with uncolored clean tone.
Great choices!
BTW, Avalon is the 2022.
And the Hardy's are all great (M1, M2, w/ & w/o Jensons 990's, etc.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It seems the Buzz MA 2.2B is going to be the closest thing to a NPNG we are gonna get now huh.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How many channels do you need. If 2, the 2 channel Millenia should be good. Plenty of jazz recorded on them and you can get a used one for a good price. I was leaning towards one but got a Daking Pre II. It’s clean but can be pushed too. Sounds great. Use it for piano on Jazz recorings. Plenty of clean gain and the HPF is great to have.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also, I think the microphones may have some effect on relative cleanliness but others would know better.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

if you're not getting what you want with the preamps you have, the preamps are NOT the problem
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

+1 John Hardy!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Buy the Hardy Jensen Twin Servo and call it a day.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Millennia is a great clean preamp. I just used it on a female operatic voice today as my Neve was too dirty sounding on her voice. I have the 8 channel version.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Buy the Hardy Jensen Twin Servo and call it a day.
Unless you need the extra gain...just get the M-1 which uses a single opamp...as per Mr Hardy’s advice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

It's not that I dislike the tones I'm getting. I would just like a cleaner pre-amp as an option to give the truest fidelity and transient response of the instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
if you're not getting what you want with the preamps you have, the preamps are NOT the problem
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Unless you need the extra gain...just get the M-1 which uses a single opamp...as per Mr Hardy’s advice.
???

The M-1 and Twin Servo have the same gain: 60 dB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hardy M1 M2 M1p.pdf (2.48 MB, 5 views) File Type: pdf Hardy Twin Servo.pdf (2.81 MB, 4 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
???.
My comment merely repeats what My Hardy told me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
???

The M-1 and Twin Servo have the same gain: 60 dB.
I *think* the point is that the less-complicated and less-expensive M-1 will sound as good (or better than?) the Twin Servo, except if you have to engage the "High Gain" button/setting. At higher gain, the Twin Servo may be preferable.

I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference, and I'd probably choose the Twin Servo if I could afford the extra cash, because at some point higher gain will be needed. But I wouldn't consider the M-1 a lesser choice, really.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Straight from John Hardy

https://recording.org/threads/john-h...1/#post-156278

Gain is the same but there might be (and this is by his standards that it is possibly inaudible) some reduced distortion at the highest gain levels (55 dB-60 dB) between the regular and Twin Servo. There might be more to gain (pun intended) from the Twin Servo design for those he's modified to go to 75 dB gain.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Straight from John Hardy

https://recording.org/threads/john-h...1/#post-156278

Gain is the same but there might be (and this is by his standards that it is possibly inaudible) some reduced distortion at the highest gain levels (55 dB-60 dB) between the regular and Twin Servo. There might be more to gain (pun intended) from the Twin Servo design for those he's modified to go to 75 dB gain.
Thank you for the link to Mr. Hardy\s words.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search