The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Solid State / 48V Alternative to U47 style Mics?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Solid State / 48V Alternative to U47 style Mics?

I'm trying to keep my mobile setup light. That's why I don't want an external PSU for a mic. Is there any microphone out there that has some of the U47 vibe, but based on 48V supply?

It's meant for vocals. For that I own a modded vintage Gefell MV692 with Thiersch UM70, which sounds very nice. I also have a RCA 44BX and some nice vintage dynamic mics that I use quite frequently on vocals. But I think I should offer another classic ldc microphone. Can be new or used or vintage. One of my listening references: I've owned a CMV563 with M7s and an output xformer from Oliver Archut, which made this microphone really shine. But then again: Anything like that with phantom power supply? Sub 5k USD would be nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

U47fet?

The rest of the "vibe" is probably from the tube, and you won't get there without external supplies..

Jakob E.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
U47fet?

The rest of the "vibe" is probably from the tube, and you won't get there without external supplies..

Jakob E.
From its name that's the most obvious. But I wanted to get something as close as possible sound wise. The U47fet has a whole different sound signature and is no option for me.

The modded Gefell that I have is much closer than the U47FET. And if the Gefell is the closest it can get (more like a U87 I guess) then it's okay. I really want to know how close you can get with a solid state mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Do you mind me asking what Gefell mic you mention, and how was it modified? I have a number of Gefell mics and so I am curious. Others might find the same information useful to help with recommendations.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

If the real goal here is to get the same sound you're already getting but with less bulk to transport, I'd look at the power supply, not the mic.

Many modern Chinese power supplies are already smaller than their European ancestors, but they're still bigger and chunkier than they really need to be. Probably because people associate big and chunky with vintage-ness and quality. Maybe you could find a Chinese supply that will work with your favorite tube mic and stuff the guts into a smaller box.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My guess is your mv692 was modded with a new FET circuit and for XLR connection. The UM70 is brighter than a U47. I don't know of a 'solid state' mic to get you closer to a U47. You already have the UM70 so it might be worthwhile to look for a m582 with ec92 tube which could be used with the UM70 and would provide a warmer sound, but this requires an external power supply. I have a two channel power supply for two m582 and while the power supply is relatively small it is still significant in size. Along arguably similar lines is a Lawson L47fet. Or, maybe a Lawson L47MPII with a small power supply.

And I think @ Brent_Hahn has suggested a good approach: seek a very small external power supply.
Old 4 weeks ago
Josephson C715
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
U47fet?

Jakob E.
+1 ^^^^ This.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One of the biggest factors in the sound of a U47 is the VF14 tube. It's what separates it from all the other mics that share the same capsule more than just about anything else I can hear. Any desire to recreate the sound of that tube in a solid state form might be wishful thinking. Either figure out a way to use a PSU, or figure out a solid state mic that works for you. Maybe a completely different flavor, like a 414EB. It has its shortcomings, but the capsule overcomes many of them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As other said you won't get there without a tube..unfortunately.

although it doesn't fit every vocalist, the 47fet is actually the most obvious answer..(while is not the same as a U47, it belongs to that "family", not only because of the obvious name/manufacturer) another one might be the Violet Design Globe Vintage.

While is not comparable with a U47, a nice B&O ribbon mic might get the vintage vibe going without being too dark.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Do you mind me asking what Gefell mic you mention, and how was it modified? I have a number of Gefell mics and so I am curious. Others might find the same information useful to help with recommendations.
It’s the usual fet and XLR mod. The most important part of the mod was the PVC capsule for the UM70 by Thiersch. It’s wonderful!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If the real goal here is to get the same sound you're already getting but with less bulk to transport, I'd look at the power supply, not the mic.

Many modern Chinese power supplies are already smaller than their European ancestors, but they're still bigger and chunkier than they really need to be. Probably because people associate big and chunky with vintage-ness and quality. Maybe you could find a Chinese supply that will work with your favorite tube mic and stuff the guts into a smaller box.
Might be the best approach. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Studios 301 over here has a U48 that’s modded to work with phantom power. I have NO idea how that works, but it sounds good. Drop them a line, speak to Steve Crane and ask maybe a good u47 clone could be modded the same way?

For p48 condensers, I like the ehrlund range and ADK make a range of condensers that share capsules with their valve mics - I’ve demoed a few, really liked the fet47 variant.
Old 4 weeks ago
Try the new Chandler TG mic. It’s lighter than I expected it to be, and has numerous tone- sculpting features. I heard a demo a while back and was impressed.

Does it sound like our 47? Nope.

Does it have multiple vibes flavors that all sound great? Yes sir.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The relatively new FLEA Superfet47 is an outstanding mic', designed to do exactly what you're asking for. Same capsule as their full-blown tube U47, and the transformer might be the same, too? I forget. Also, the headbasket shape is crucial to making a U47 sound like a U47, and that is the same as a U47. I have no affiliation with the company, but I do own the mic', and it really is great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Studios 301 over here has a U48 that’s modded to work with phantom power. I have NO idea how that works, but it sounds good. Drop them a line, speak to Steve Crane and ask maybe a good u47 clone could be modded the same way?
Probably removed the whole circuit. B+ is 105V on the 47. I have a hard time seeing phantom supply sufficient current to the VF14, even if the voltage is correct.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidyhall View Post
The relatively new FLEA Superfet47 is an outstanding mic', designed to do exactly what you're asking for. Same capsule as their full-blown tube U47, and the transformer might be the same, too? I forget. Also, the headbasket shape is crucial to making a U47 sound like a U47, and that is the same as a U47. I have no affiliation with the company, but I do own the mic', and it really is great.
That’s exactly what I was looking for. I have to test it. It even has a Thiersch M7 inside. Nice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search