The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recordings that feature Shelford Channel
Old 22nd August 2019
Here for the gear
Recordings that feature Shelford Channel

Hi. I’m really interested in picking up the Shelford Channel. Have been researching it for awhile.
Wondering if anyone knows of a few commercial recordings that feature the RND Shelford Channel.
I’ve watched all the youtube videos and read all the threads here. Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for gear

I bought a console full of them, but I haven't installed it yet. But here's what I can tell you: My tests found that the mic pre, at 50% red, sounded almost identical to my vintage 1073, but with better transient response and 8dB more headroom. The only thing that didn't null were the transients. The EQ, while not identical to the 1073, really has that classic vintage Neve vibe. Don't worry about a record to hear it. There's going to be too many other factors accounting for the sound of that record. Just try a channel. It's awesome.
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

I don't follow who does what with particular gears, but I can testify that Shelford serie is friggin' great sounding. I am in process of adding whole row of them to my 5088 fitted with Portico modules (I leave Portico modules in addition to Shelford). After 20 years of search for holy grail mixer, search is over and 5088/Shelford is currently by far the best option for modern Neve or just modern top sound console.
Period.
Enjoy.
Old 26th December 2019
I have one channel strip, and couldn't imagine an entire console of these! That trully would be the holy grail of analog consoles.
Old 26th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler View Post
I have one channel strip, and couldn't imagine an entire console of these! That trully would be the holy grail of analog consoles.
I couldn’t have said it better. A guilty pleasure for me that always results in great vocal recordings.
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I bought a console full of them, but I haven't installed it yet. But here's what I can tell you: My tests found that the mic pre, at 50% red, sounded almost identical to my vintage 1073, but with better transient response and 8dB more headroom. The only thing that didn't null were the transients. The EQ, while not identical to the 1073, really has that classic vintage Neve vibe. Don't worry about a record to hear it. There's going to be too many other factors accounting for the sound of that record. Just try a channel. It's awesome.
JJ, you mean the Neve 5052? I saw the interview when Warren visit your studio and you mention that you have to buy a new console Great interview and thanks for sharing you knowledge. Or maybe you bought a console with Shelford Channels, with compressors and all? The channel is a strip pre/eq/comp.

Cheers!
Jens
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Head
I know that the studio Moxe has a console with 5052´s. Also Willie Nelsons studio Pedernales. And I have a Shelford Channel...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Another Shelford fan

Just installed my new Shelford strip and today paired it with my Bock 251 for male vocals. I am in heaven. I have been tracking through an Avalon 737 or an Edwards LE-10 (a great tube mic pre that made pretty much any mic sound good). I'm still a fan of both those pre's but the Shelford - oh baby!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Currently using a BAE 1073 MPF > 1176 > LA2A > Fatso Jr > Burl B2 ADC for my overdub tracking chain. Interested in the Shelford Channel and wondering how it would compare to the BAE 1073 and the 1176/LA2A comps? (I either run the compressors on separate channels when using two mics, or in series when doing vocals with one mic)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search