The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U87 "inner tube" Tube mod
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

U87 "inner tube" Tube mod

Has anyone used the U87 with the "Inner tube" tube modification? How does it stack to to a U47 tube/ 67? I remember it costing around $2,000 just for the mod but is it worth it???
Old 27th October 2002
member no 666

I've tried it, thought it sounded quite good... but was it's own unique sound... it wasn't a copy of anything, it was it's own unit.

Sounds rather pleasant... but it's not an 'inexpensive method' to get yourself a U-67 or anything like that.

Best of luck.
Old 28th October 2002
Gear Head

e-cue,
Who is (or who are you looking at for) doing your mod?

A guy that worked on mine does them near Nashville. I was thinking of doing it too...or selling it. I've got a vintage circa 1975-1979 U87 that needs some new life.
Old 28th October 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kushan_ku
A guy that worked on mine does them near Nashville. I was thinking of doing it too...or selling it. I've got a vintage circa 1975-1979 U87 that needs some new life.
Mine too, who was the guy near Nashville and how good was the mod?
Old 28th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
e-cue,
Who is (or who are you looking at for) doing your mod?

The "inner tube" mod was a simple mod where you screwed open your mic, took up the solid state guts, and replaced them with tube components. Supossedly, anyone could do it.
Old 28th October 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Mine too, who was the guy near Nashville and how good was the mod?
I would hazard a guess that it's Fred Cameron... it might be another guy that lives near Nashville... but I tend to avoid that guy's work. If it is Fred... he does excellent work, just don't be in a hurry to get the unit back.

FWIW, if your '87 is a 'late 70's vintage'... you may be having a capsule problem rather than an amplifier problem [though without actually hearing, touching, smelling the mic it's pretty difficult to say from where I'm sitting].

Best of luck with it.
Old 28th October 2002
High End Moderator

Thanx Fletcher, I'll try to find Fred Cameron. The U87 actually sounds "fine" but not very exciting or special, so I thought it could use a little spice. The problem is, if it costs close to $ 3,000 to make it sound great, I'd rather buy another E-47 or the new i-47 (when it comes out).
Old 28th October 2002
Gear Head

In fact, is was Fred Cameron.

Cameron Labs
1004 Everett Drive
Smyrna, TN 37167
615-223-0200

He serviced mine (capsule clean, moisture barrier, Strap for 200 ohm, remove pad, rebuild amplifier, replace batt on roll-off switch)

I spoke to him about the tube mod they do, and it's definetley not a "do it yourself" process. The tube and all is in a separate amp box, not inside the mic..don't try this at home (unless your home is a Neumann mic repair shop) yuktyy

j-ho
Old 28th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:

I spoke to him about the tube mod they do, and it's definetley not a "do it yourself" process. The tube and all is in a separate amp box, not inside the mic..don't try this at home (unless your home is a Neumann mic repair shop) yuktyy

j-ho
We are definately taking about different things. I'm talking about a mod kit, and it actually DOES fit inside the body of the mic. Now I'm curious how these two sound differently.

I did some sniffing around and found this on the net:
http://www.gr8music.com/InnerTube_Au...tubeaudio.html

There's also a review by Bobby Owsinski who usually does a good job reviewing stuff.
Old 29th October 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:

Cameron Labs
1004 Everett Drive
Smyrna, TN 37167
615-223-0200

He serviced mine (capsule clean, moisture barrier, Strap for 200 ohm, remove pad, rebuild amplifier, replace batt on roll-off switch)

j-ho
Thanx for the info kushan_ku
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

Michael Wagener, what is this i-47 you speak of?
rollz
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

Hey Fae, how are you... it's a new mic from Soundelux. It is to the 47fet what the e47 is to the tube 47. But with a twist: it's got a switch to voice it like a 47 ("M"usic) or an 87 ("V"oice). I haven't heard it but am looking forward to try it when it's finally shipping.

Ciao!
Old 31st October 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Michael Wagener, what is this i-47 you speak of?
rollz
Faeflora

What groundcontrol said and it's supposed to be about half the price of an ELUX 251
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear