The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Better Master Buss Processor Than Neve Portico II MBP?
Old 17th August 2019
Here for the gear

Better Master Buss Processor Than Neve Portico II MBP?

Ever since I discovered this machine, I could not stop watching, reading and finding out more info about this unit. I plan on spending a good amount of money on the Portico II MBP to give my mixed tracks that "final touch" that it needs. So far everything about it is amazing, it sounds great and a lot of people have given it great feedback. But before I do end up adding this unit to my rack, I wanted to know if there are any other options out there that can do the same, if not, better than the Portico just so I can do a little more research before I make my final decision.
Old 17th August 2019
It's one of the best units out there. I am not aware of any hardware piece that is better.
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

Better is always subjective, but for final touch processing there are great options today that are quality options. Some of them are:

RND MBP
SSL Fusion
Overstayer MAS
Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet
Black Box HG-2

There are more too, each do different things in different ways and all sound top notch.
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

modular channel by overstayer
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

If I were in your shoes, I would consider a Silver Bullet plus a one rack unit mixbuss compressor (maybe RJR?) as your stereo "outboard" final mix processing. The SB will give you "that" sound as well as at least three other options, two of which are cascading between two topologies (N-A, A-N, or A alone - where "A" stands for the "other" signature sound).
Old 4 weeks ago
SRS
Lives for gear

Need more info. But Rupert and team did a nice job on that box I think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
modular channel by overstayer

shhhh dont tell anyone
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
shhhh dont tell anyone
Look into those nobody talks about
Old 4 weeks ago
"Best" is in the eye of the beholder.

There are probably several great boxes that will get you where you want to go.

For me, the Pendulum ES-8 with parallel processing on the master bus hits my sense of aesthetic. Instant "betterer".

Spent several hours on the phone with Greg discussing my needs/ wants/ sonic goals.

Is it the "best"? No idea. Am I looking for something else? No. I'm done and satisfied.

I hope you find one that satisfies you.
Old 4 weeks ago
I use mine for mastering duties so my input comes from that perspective...

I still haven't found anything out there that is as versatile as the MBP. It's really possible to "enlarge" whatever's going into it. And then you have the two silk-modes with blend-function, the SFE tools that I find very useful. Although in mastering duties it's really about tiny adjustments on those controls, and I can imagine they can be creative for mixing duties.
And let's not forget the limiter that's also useful

My other compressors are the SSL X-Rack stereo bus compressor, TK Audio BC1 Ltd., AML 54f50, API 527. Those are the ones I use for mixing.
Old 4 weeks ago
I have and love RND MBP II, and all I can say is that there’s no other gear that gives me so much versatility like this one, and I do have a lot of gear, including the likes of LTLO Silver Bullet, Tube-Tech, Dangerous, Sontec and Bettermaker... and unfortunately there’s no right or wrong here, but if I had to choose only one box to deal with my daily work, that would be the RND MBP II, because I can use it in so many different ways that allows me to do things no other box can do, and there’s not just one N color... the MBP II give so you many different combinations working with the SFE section ( width, depth and eq) , Silk Red and Blue, makeup gain of their transformers, parallel processing, FB / FF , RMS/PEAK comp behaviours, and limiter... I would recommend this monster as your first purchase without hesitation... with that said...

Silver Bullet its also a must, and a perfect partner for the RND, that would be my second purchase IMHO (hard decision anyway, as you can create a perfect workflow just with a SB... )

What is really important is, that every purchase you make, can dramatically change your workflow and that needs time and a learning curve before getting the most out of them, but also this time spent in learning rewards you with a huge improvement in the sound.

RND MBP II has a more complicated workflow as it has more options... but you can improve the sound a little more...

Silver Bullet makes an extremely efficient workflow and a have very easy learning curve... that also impacts in a great way in the sound and the results...

Decisions... decisions... maybe the worst answer but the more honest would be to say you: take both as soon as you can!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootiv View Post
Silver Bullet its also a must, and a perfect partner for the RND, that would be my second purchase IMHO (hard decision anyway, as you can create a perfect workflow just with a SB... )
This is exactly what I went with as my first pieces of hardware and haven't looked back. SB into the MBP and I'm in sonic heaven

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search