The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Headphone monitoring
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Headphone monitoring

Hello,
I am in a situation where I can only work on headphones to produce music. I process field recordings together with various instruments, which are captured on a sound devices mixpre 6 and various DPA mics.

I have just invested in a pair of Audeze LCD-X headphones but am unsure about the best monitoring path from my Mac. Should I invest in something like an Antelope Pure 2 or Crane Song HEDD and monitor through the headphone output, or could I invest in a good quality headphone amp and plug that into my Mixpre 6 which would become my AD/DA?

Or could I invest in a good quality headphone amp and go direct to my Mac?

Thank you in advance,
Ross
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

in any case, get a headphone amp with a crossfeed matrix! the grace 9xx is a nice converter and has a somewhat limited x-feed option, the rme adi2 pro too; the spl phonitor (mini) imo has by far the best x-feed options but you'll need a decent converter; hard to tell whether you like the sd's converter/think it's good enough. imo there's nothing wrong with it although the cranesong converter has certainly more gearslutz appeal...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hello deedeeyeah,

Many thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Just checking, was there more information because it seems like the response is the second part to other info...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i was referring to sound devices vs cranesong in terms of conversion...

btw: the cranesong is a brilliant piece of gear! i like it best for its tone shaping options though.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 week ago at 12:15 PM.. Reason: edited
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Okay thanks again.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ive read positive reviews about the rme adi2 pro converters so i could just use this without a seperate headphone amp...? id need to listen first of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I guess Sound Devices are not that guys who cuts corners on engineering.
Used their, errr, devices a lot of times, had no problems either with quality or available power from headphone output.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks. I'm going to compare the SD to the RME and Solaris.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
DACs in the consumer world get very good now. Topping D70 paired with 789 THX AAA should get great results.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search