The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Upgrading" U87Ai to U67 Reissue
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Get the U67 so you won't have to buy another mic again.

It's not dark like a vintage 67 but juuust right. Actually, I'll take the reissue over any vintage 67. And you can throw bucket loads of EQ and it won't sound bad.
pretty much this. I love mine, best mic that I have.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
It's not dark like a vintage 67 but juuust right. Actually, I'll take the reissue over any vintage 67.
Explain how the reissue is less dark? It's the same circuit as the vintage.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Explain how the reissue is less dark? It's the same circuit as the vintage.
You are right, they are not, unless the older mic is in disrepair or the new mic's capsule has too much tension.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post
You are right, they are not, unless the older mic is in disrepair or the new mic's capsule has too much tension.
But they are. Probably tubes and wear have something to do with it.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

The tube and power supply affects it too...
Chris
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
But they are. Probably tubes and wear have something to do with it.
Some are and some are not. I had vintage ones that I tested against mine, and mine landed in the middle.

There is a shootout hosted at Steve Albini's place too (unscientific and on youtube), Despite the problems that come from doing an unscientific test that is hosted on youtube, to my ears the reissue appears to fall in between the two vintage examples for the source material.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
The tube and power supply affects it too...
Chris
Regarding the new versus older tubes... I have 10 or so NOS Telefunken ef86s designated for microphone use, and to my ears (which may not be the case with other mics that have capsule-tensioning issues or other variables) there was not a nickel's worth of difference sonically. After testing a few, I went back to the new tube.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some are and some are not. I had vintage ones that I tested against mine, and mine landed in the middle.

There is a shootout hosted at Steve Albini's place too (unscientific and on youtube), Despite the problems that come from doing an unscientific test that is hosted on youtube, to my ears the reissue appears to fall in between the two vintage examples for the source material.
I definitely concede that the vintage ones are all different. The pair I used to work with were really dark, and my reissue isn't that much darker than a U87.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I definitely concede that the vintage ones are all different. The pair I used to work with were really dark, and my reissue isn't that much darker than a U87.
That is interesting. I find my reissue to be significantly darker than my two vintage U87s (one from 1977[or 78] and the other from 1982).
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Wow, you have three!
Chris
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is interesting. I find my reissue to be significantly darker than my two vintage U87s (one from 1977[or 78] and the other from 1982).
My U87s are Klaus modded now so I can no longer do a direct comparison. The U67 seems somewhat darker than when the U87s were "stock", although it turned out the U87s had a lot off-brand parts in them. Both were from the late 70s. With a Telefunken EF86 the U67 is bit darker still and more distinct.
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Nut

Will the u67 reissue hold their value over the years or even increase? (Like Rolex watches, easiest example)
I'm looking at a new mic. Upgrading the tlm103
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Will the u67 reissue hold their value over the years or even increase? (Like Rolex watches, easiest example)
The used RIs seem to be going for $5.5 to 6K. My guess is that they’ll probably stay there, unless Neumann discontinues production again.
Old 21st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post

Quote:
The used RIs seem to be going for $5.5 to 6K. My guess is that they’ll probably stay there, unless Neumann discontinues production again.
Something in current production will never accumulate. But something with support and a good reputation will never lose too much value either.

I guess a good example is the 1176 reissue. The originals go for silly money, how silly depends on what revision. The reissues 2nd hand will be cheaper than a new one, but won’t ever be bargain basement.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbramble View Post
Or you could get the Max Kirchner upgrade and have an 87 *and* a 67. Its pretty fantastic...
Just wanted to let you know that the new batch is now ready.
Comes with the new added switchable "reissue mode" and limited to this batch free VALVO tubes included!
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod

-Max

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search