The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors with in-speaker room correction DSP, like Genelec's SAM?
Old 31st July 2019
Monitors with in-speaker room correction DSP, like Genelec's SAM?

I have a set of Genelec S.A.M. monitors, which sample the room and correct for its deficiencies via onboard eq and time correction etc., but with these (because they receive a digital signal and use their own D/A converters in each monitor) I'm stuck with their technology. I know from time spent with recent home audio upgrades that D/A conversion has improved quite a lot since these were produced.

Are there other companies producing monitors which handle the room correction within the monitors themselves?
Show replies
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

In my opinion in-speaker DSP has only recently even become powerful enough to do a reasonable job of this (FIR processing etc). Previous generations of attempts at this were very limited in their usefulness (for example JBL LSR series)

Having said that, most room correction DSP is a waste of time in my opinion until you get into devices at the level of something like Trinnov, and even still such technology should only be used for minor tweaks rather than broad strokes, and it adds latency, which in some cases can be quite significant. There is no substitute for great acoustic treatment and equally great monitors.

If you are going to do this sort of processing, better to keep it separate from the speakers in my opinion. DSP related technology develops at a much faster pace than speaker technology so decoupling these is the most sensible thing to do.
Show replies
Old 31st July 2019
I'm using Genelec's in-speaker correction very successfully -- what I'm looking for at this point is a list of other companies which offer the technology either within the monitors themselves or within the monitor controller. I do agree that separating monitors from room DSP is wise, but D/A convertors have nearly reached their apex (the Golden Age having been a few years ago), so I feel safe with an integrated system.

I can't imagine that Genelec is the only company offering this.
Show replies
Old 1st August 2019
IK multimedia iLoud MTM monitors have recently been released and do this.
Show replies
Old 1st August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
IK multimedia iLoud MTM monitors have recently been released and do this.
It seems QC has been an issue for the released batch, but mine arrived fine. And they’re insanely good for the money.
Not sure it’ll be an upgrade for Elam I though.
Show replies
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

Why not use a monitor controller that does that for you, so you can use any speaker you wish: http://abluesky.com/products/audio-m...nt-controller/
Show replies
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

I seem to remember an announcement at 2019 NAMM that Sonarworks is now working with ADAM speakers on a DSP solution.
Show replies
Old 2nd August 2019
Yes, I think the IKs may be a step back from the Genelecs.

The Blue Sky controller is great, no doubt, but at $2,800 it's has to be off the table. I'd rather sink that into the monitors themselves or elsewhere in the playback chain since I don't need most of what it offers.
Show replies
Old 3rd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Are there other companies producing monitors which handle the room correction within the monitors themselves?
Hifi brand ELAC has something for their subwoofers but nobody in the industry is at the level of Genelec.
Show replies
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

D&D 8c has built-in DSP room correction, in addition to cardioid sound projection, but you have to manually set the filters, using your own measurement tools. The filters are highly customizable. The 8c's have a very high quality of sound through their internal DA conversion. Once the filters are set you don't need to redo it as long as they stay in the same place.
Show replies
Old 3rd August 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
D&D 8c has built-in DSP room correction, in addition to cardioid sound projection, but you have to manually set the filters, using your own measurement tools. The filters are highly customizable. The 8c's have a very high quality of sound through their internal DA conversion. Once the filters are set you don't need to redo it as long as they stay in the same place.
Having just read about these for the first time, they're clearly very impressive.
Show replies
Lives for gear

get an external speaker processor and please refrain from using the term 'room correction' - the former 'cause they vastly outperform any built in solution and can be used with multiple speakers regardless of manufacturer and the latter 'cause it's the fr response which gets changed/altered/corrected and hence how the speakers behave in a room, but not the room itself...
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
get an external speaker processor and please refrain from using the term 'room correction' - the former 'cause they vastly outperform any built in solution and can be used with multiple speakers regardless of manufacturer and the latter 'cause it's the fr response which gets changed/altered/corrected and hence how the speakers behave in a room, but not the room itself...
D&D 8c users report better results from using the built in filters than making corrections through Trinnov. That is a serious save and a lot more comfortable.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
D&D 8c users report better results from using the built in filters than making corrections through Trinnov. That is a serious save and a lot more comfortable.
certainly true on the financial side and it makes more sense if existing speakers don't have any dsp built in. i wasn't referring to trinnov or any other (semi)automated correction device but to speaker processors as used in live sound - not to be considered if comfort is an issue...
Show replies
Old 3rd August 2019
Trinnov has an interesting product. Investigating...
Show replies
📝 Reply