The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dangerous Liaison with SSL Fusion
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Nut

Dangerous Liaison with SSL Fusion

hi,
I have the SSL Fusion along with some other outboard gear.. I just ordered the Dangerous Music Liaison. my question is:
In the SSL Fusion, there is an option that you treat the signal in M/S mode by connecting any outboard gear to the insert point in the back of the Fusion.

Now, if i connect the SSL Fusion along with the other 5 outboard gear i have to the Liaison's 6 insert points, i will not be able to use the insert point in the Fusion thus i will not be able to benefit from the M/S option in the Fusion if needed.

Also if i connect one unit (lets say a compressor) permanently on the Fusions's insert point, i will now have the M/S option but i cant use an EQ for example in the M/S mode as i will be stuck with the compressor only.

So i think i need to get creative here in how i connect those 2 units with the other gear to benefit from all their options.

Any thoughts?
Old 11th July 2019
Here for the gear
Sounds like you need to route everything through a patch bay normalized to the Liason?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmm.... How about inserting the Liaison into the Ms insert of the Fusion. You could go Fusion insert MS send into Liaison Buss A Return, then Liaison Buss A send into Liaison Buss B Return, then Liaison Buss B send into Fusion insert MS return. Then everything inserted into the Liaison will be inserted into Fusion with MS capability. Caveat being that everything will now have to go thru Fusion and will also have to be in MS. Neither is a bad thing though. Just one idea.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Hmm.... How about inserting the Liaison into the Ms insert of the Fusion. You could go Fusion insert MS send into Liaison Buss A Return, then Liaison Buss A send into Liaison Buss B Return, then Liaison Buss B send into Fusion insert MS return. Then everything inserted into the Liaison will be inserted into Fusion with MS capability. Caveat being that everything will now have to go thru Fusion and will also have to be in MS. Neither is a bad thing though. Just one idea.
Was Just thinking the same thing today.. i think basically i have 2 good options:

1- Sum Out-> Bus A Liaison-> Bus B Liaison-> Burl B2 ADC and i connect my gear in the Liaison including the SSL Fusion and also i choose either a dual mono compressor or a dual mono EQ and connect it to the insert point in the Fusion that have the M/S option. That will limit my M/S options to only one unit either a compressor or an EQ.

2- Sum Out-> SSL Fusion-> Burl B2 ADC and i connect the Liaison on the insert point of the SSL Fusion that have the M/S option and connect all my gear to Liaison. Now i have tons of options for the M/S but if i turn on the M/S bottom in the Fusion, all of the gear connected to the Liaison will be in M/S mode...

Not sure which of these 2 scenarios is more logical and flexible..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamoss View Post
Sounds like you need to route everything through a patch bay normalized to the Liason?
I still have my TRS Behringer PX3000 patchbay. And i thought of connecting my converters, interface i/o, preamp i/o, and the Liaison to it while connecting all my analog hardware to the Liaison (including the Fusion). that will give me the maximum flexibility.. but i was chatting with a friend about this idea and he told me that if i use the Behringer Patchbay with the Liaison and other equipment, that will negatively affect the sound and that what i should do is directly connect the converters to the Liaison and the analog gear as inserts in the Liaison thats it even if that will give me less flexibility because the sound difference will be big..
Frankly i am not sure of that as i have been using the patchbay without any problems and i see most of the pro studios have normal patch bays..
What do you think? Anyone has an input on that issue?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search